Htc 8x vs Nokia lumia 920

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
First of all, i'm not from the US so i'm sorry about my english.
I want to buy a windows phone device and i considering 2 phones, the htc 8x or the lumia 920. I know the lumia is much better in almost evrey aspect but the there is big diffrence in the price in Israel. The Htc is about 1445 shekels (about 400$) and the lumia is 2380 shekels ( 660$).
The nokia is worth this big price diffrence?

( if someone can tell me how the htc battery is good this will be great because if the battery is bad like in my htc sensation i dont even considering the phone)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
No problem with your English.

That is a tough call. I normally would always recommend the Nokia device but that is a pretty significant price difference. You may want to look into the Nokia 5xx / 6xx devices. Word on the street is the 5xx series phones are very good considering their low price point. The only reason I'm leading you this way is I would not but a WP without the Nokia extras.

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
No problem with your English.

That is a tough call. I normally would always recommend the Nokia device but that is a pretty significant price difference. You may want to look into the Nokia 5xx / 6xx devices. Word on the street is the 5xx series phones are very good considering their low price point. The only reason I'm leading you this way is I would not but a WP without the Nokia extras.

You can give examples of what extras Nokia gives?

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Many apps are Lumia exclusive and Nokia gives a lot of updates, amber update is an example. Lumia storage check and many options in settings are lumia exclusive. And camera of 920 is awesome. Btw, 925 is coming there or not ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Believe me, don't make mistake and buy lumia.
Can you explain why?
Many apps are Lumia exclusive and Nokia gives a lot of updates, amber update is an example. Lumia storage check and many options in settings are lumia exclusive. And camera of 920 is awesome. Btw, 925 is coming there or not ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I dont think the 925 will come to Israel.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Battery on 8x is pretty much standard - I can go a whole day on a charge with medium to high use.

For the price difference I would say go with the 8x - the nokia exclusives come to all phones eventually anyway so you don't miss out. The 8x camera does take decent enough pictures as well.

kwambe5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Support

Nokia is really invested in WP because that is their only OS they are supporting. They don't have to split resources between android and WP like HTC does. Also it seems like most OEMs that support two OS's spend more time on Android than on WP. Nokia has a great track record of support not only in software but hardware as well. If I were you I would seriously consider the Nokia. I still love HTC but when it came to my Windows Phone, I had to choose the Lumia 920. My wife uses the HTC Amaze(Android). Also the low light pictures blew me out of the water! It was so much better than any other camera out there. And not all the exclusives from Nokia come to all the WP's.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I owned two 8x(one one red and one in blue) and the only thing Ivan say positive is that

The phone looks nice.
If the price is what bothers you, then you can't go wrong with the 8x. Its a decent windows phone.

However, HTC does not support their phones and the camera in the 8x is average at best.

Nokia on the other hand does support their phones very well and they provide you a bit more variety than HTC when it comes to phone choices.

Personally I would recommend a Nokia phone but perhaps maybe one of their lower end models in the 7xx or 8xx range.

Nokia also has tons of exclusive apps that HTC phones likely won't get for sometime.

At the end of the day, the 8x is a decent phone but in most cases Nokia is better than the windows phone so unless price is an issue I say get the Nokia 920 and if it is an issue then maybe try and get a Nokia 620 or 720

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, if money is important, you can buy 8X. If not, only 920/925.
I bought 8X in last year, but two months ago switched to Nokia. I wrote about it a few times here on forums. I really hate HTC for their "superior" support of WP ecosystem.
What are bad things about 8x in my opinion:
- 16gb of storage and no app to clean other storage
- camera, very bad especially in indoor environment. Not to say about low light.
- stupid power button on top of this big phone. Designer , die!
- volume buttons is hard to find when you are talking :)

what is good:
- excellent screen, but Lumina has better sunlight visibility support and has better auto brightness
- overall design is very good
- weight

I love my Lumia now despite of some bad sides, like weight and thickness :) And my 8X is stored on shelves and I cannot sell it even for the half of it's price. No one wants it.

Sydney Cooper

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are going to stick with this phone for a while, I would go Nokia. The support is better and will still be continued with the 920 once the newer lumias are out. You will have a quality experience for a much longer time. The resale value is a big one. There is a reason no one wants the HTC. I know it's a lot of extra money, but in the long run I think you will be much happier with the lumia.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Both are great phones. The 920 might come down in price with the 1020 coming out. I currently have the 8x and like its form factor better. Just wish the power button was on the side

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Get the Nokia. It's better quality all around, and you'll get great exclusive apps and good support from Nokia. Of course, you'll also get quality hardware.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
get lumia. the build quality on my 8x is appallingly bad and the fact it doesn't have any of the lumia exclusives completely overpowers the design advantages it may have

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Saying one is better quality than the other is subjective. Ive dropped my 8x about 4 times and drop kicked it once and it hasn't got a scratch. The guy next to me at work knocked his 920 off his desk and now his camera wont work properly and his screen has a chip in the corner
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon