Lumia 1020 vs Pureview 808..

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it just depends on your needs and usage. I have no major issues with Symbian.. after the latest updates its very stable, good battery life..

Also, it will be kind of hard to give up unlimited data here in the US.. for some reason AT&T doesn't care about Symbian smartphones and we can use the media net data plans .. $10/unlimited .. I've gone over 4gb several times and they didn't say anything. Comes very hand when I use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Anyway, here are some xenon samples.. I tried to find one that has similar iso value as the one from 1020

808:

https://7nwsww.dm1.livefilestore.co...1xqPDSQ6-MCk4KUlPl-3XZnag/2012-09-04-2422.jpg

1020:

https://6dwsww.dm1.livefilestore.co...1fmq7o_KLPLZ1vcpI/9306853401_8203431687_o.jpg

the 1020 is a resize from a full resolution photo just to make it fair since the 808 shot is taken in pureview mode.. I think they are both pretty good

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it just depends on your needs and usage. I have no major issues with Symbian.. after the latest updates its very stable, good battery life..

Also, it will be kind of hard to give up unlimited data here in the US.. for some reason AT&T doesn't care about Symbian smartphones and we can use the media net data plans .. $10/unlimited .. I've gone over 4gb several times and they didn't say anything. Comes very hand when I use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Anyway, here are some xenon samples.. I tried to find one that has similar iso value as the one from 1020

808:

https://7nwsww.dm1.livefilestore.co...1xqPDSQ6-MCk4KUlPl-3XZnag/2012-09-04-2422.jpg

1020:

https://6dwsww.dm1.livefilestore.co...1fmq7o_KLPLZ1vcpI/9306853401_8203431687_o.jpg

the 1020 is a resize from a full resolution photo just to make it fair since the 808 shot is taken in pureview mode.. I think they are both pretty good

So you have a 1020?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish.. I have an 808 and an iPhone 5 for some reason hah

Here another aspect that caught my attention.. the screen on the 1020 is better in every way except one, and that is contrast.. Its seems to be on Nokia N8 levels in terms of outdoor legibility according to GSMarena's test , and.. that is not a good thing, especially when you are using the screen as a viewfinder when you are shooting..

bvxUBC7.jpg

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from 808 PureView to Lumia 1020, granted I have plenty of other smartphones around as well. Never used 808 PureView as a daily phone.

I admit right away that I'm a huge gadget nerd that likes shiny things. Nokia and Symbian combination to me was all those shiny things till around 2007, like it was for hundreds millions of other Symbian users when I switched to iOS and made a short stint to Android before I came back for N900 and N9. N9 that I especially loved.

I haven't been fan of Symbian for past 5 years and coming back for 808 PureView for me didn't do anything else than just steer me further away from Symbian than ever before. Nokia/Ovi Store was an horrible mess and that Symbian browser is some kind of a world wonder on how bad and slow it still is.Yes I know, Opera, but while its a lot better than default, it still doesn't do nearly good enough. It's like something from 2006 on a touch screen. Small wonder when Nokia had one of the best browsers around on Fremantle and Harmattan.
Nokia got rid off AVKON on Symbian, but there to me has always been something lesser about the reliability of the UI smoothness on Symbian compared to smoothness of Maemo phones.

That said there has always been something special about the marriage of Nokia hardware and Symbian, or more like the very custom hardware that you could only find from Nokia Symbian phones. It's things like the music quality via 3.5mm on 808 PureView or N8 just being amazing or naturally the cameras. Nokia got very skimpy towards the end of Symbian when those devices really needed more RAM and power, but I guess that was expected right after the WP decision was made.

I'm still not selling my 808 PureView, it's a special piece of hardware, like N9.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They've always been "skimpy".. that was one of the main problems when it comes to management. They wanted the software team to perform miracles, so they can save money on hardware.. I am sure it worked, but it came back to bite them in the end.

They must have bought a ton of ARM11 CPUs because they never switched to Cortex based architecture, where Samsung did with far less experience in Symbian coding overall.

Anyway, I think that the 1020 is the first "real" Nokia with Windows .. not as pure as the 808 or the N9, but close enough I guess.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching from 808 PureView to Lumia 1020, granted I have plenty of other smartphones around as well. Never used 808 PureView as a daily phone.

I admit right away that I'm a huge gadget nerd that likes shiny things. Nokia and Symbian combination to me was all those shiny things till around 2007, like it was for hundreds millions of other Symbian users when I switched to iOS and made a short stint to Android before I came back for N900 and N9. N9 that I especially loved.

I haven't been fan of Symbian for past 5 years and coming back for 808 PureView for me didn't do anything else than just steer me further away from Symbian than ever before. Nokia/Ovi Store was an horrible mess and that Symbian browser is some kind of a world wonder on how bad and slow it still is.Yes I know, Opera, but while its a lot better than default, it still doesn't do nearly good enough. It's like something from 2006 on a touch screen. Small wonder when Nokia had one of the best browsers around on Fremantle and Harmattan.
Nokia got rid off AVKON on Symbian, but there to me has always been something lesser about the reliability of the UI smoothness on Symbian compared to smoothness of Maemo phones.

That said there has always been something special about the marriage of Nokia hardware and Symbian, or more like the very custom hardware that you could only find from Nokia Symbian phones. It's things like the music quality via 3.5mm on 808 PureView or N8 just being amazing or naturally the cameras. Nokia got very skimpy towards the end of Symbian when those devices really needed more RAM and power, but I guess that was expected right after the WP decision was made.

I'm still not selling my 808 PureView, it's a special piece of hardware, like N9.

808 is a special device and definitely not for everyone. I still can't see what you get from 1020 which you wouldn't if you would buy some cheapo tablet and continue to use 808 as a phone/camera/WiFi spot...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2