Will we ever get Official Facebook by Facebook?

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I know MS is trying to get their 'Official' Facebook app up to par, but still at the end of the day a 3rd party app, and therefore not fully featured as the Official App you get with Android and iOS. One of the reason I don't like MS attempt is in that it does not display the same content as the Official app, you can clearly see this by opening the facebook.com in the browser or a friends iOS/Android device and compare both Feeds. There is a lot of post, likes and tags that you don't get in WP8's version which is frustrating and embarrassing at the same time.

If there is no hope for that to get fixed then what?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The difference in news feeds could be down to the difference between sorting for "Most recent" and "Top stories". The Facebook main pages does like resetting my preference to "Top Stories", which annoys me quite a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see an official Facebook app, it would most probably be ridden with ads. In my opinion, the Microsoft app development team do a great job. Their YouTube app was the best client I've seen yet.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The difference in news feeds could be down to the difference between sorting for "Most recent" and "Top stories". The Facebook main pages does like resetting my preference to "Top Stories", which annoys me quite a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see an official Facebook app, it would most probably be ridden with ads. In my opinion, the Microsoft app development team do a great job. Their YouTube app was the best client I've seen yet.

Please, I'm not stupid , I know the difference on sorting. The MS Facebook app does not show the same info as the official does. Just test it with other's ios/android apps and you will see. Sorting has nothing to do. It's the 3rd party label that the MS facebook app has.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Please, I'm not stupid , I know the difference on sorting. The MS Facebook app does not show the same info as the official does. Just test it with other's ios/android apps and you will see. Sorting has nothing to do. It's the 3rd party label that the MS facebook app has.

Another problem is that Microsoft's app shows posts that you have hidden.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The MS Facebook app does not show the same info as the official does.

A few weeks ago, I actually did that using the Most Recent view on the iOS Facebook app and the Most Recent view on the WP app. I didn't see a difference between the two other than the look and feel. I'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe it's more specific to your account or the pages/people you have on your feed.

*shrug*

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Everything comes up on my Windows Phone as it does on my computer and my friends Android and iOS devices. Just sayin'.

Then you probably don't have anything hidden, such as your friends' accomplishments in their games and your mushy dating couple friends' nauseating posts .

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't have anything hidden. But I rarely check the news feed lately...

Regardless though. The app does need polishing. It doesn't seem to give me any toast notifications, even though that option is enabled.

That being said though...it could be a lot worse. Its overall in my opinion about a 3/5 star app...

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I routinely and religiously block everything having anything to do with Facebook games. I also have blocked people as well. And posts.

That's interesting! They don't show up on your WP app? They sure do on mine!

Do you do the actual blocking on WP? My wife actually takes care of ours (we use the same Facebook account). I just asked her, and she said she blocks from either a PC browser or her Android app, whichever she happens to be using at the time. On our Androids & iPhone the posts appear exactly like they do on a PC browser, but on the WP app the blocked stuff is there.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They don't show up on your WP app?

Nope, not a one. I'm pretty sure I blocked them all from the website... I know I didn't do it from the WP app (because I don't think it allows that yet) and I didn't do it from the iOS app I used to use. So yeah, pretty sure they were blocked from the website.

For this, I offer a hearty *shrug*. I don't doubt they're showing up for you. Facebook, IMHO, is a sh*tty service and it wouldn't surprise me if they've got some crazy API looping back on itself in certain circumstances or something. Just yesterday I deleted the app on my 920 and went with the People Hub integration. Of course, I've got Facebook filtered to only those who are in my Outlook contacts, and I've made a group for the people I actually want to see. If I could get off of Facebook I would, but... pretty much it's used more than email and text combined for communications these days.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Even though the Microsoft team has done a gorgeous job with the fb app it's still laggy I just hate when I see people on their galaxy S3 or S4 surfing smoothly on Facebook and Messenger while on WP phone, which claims to be the fastest and mos efficient OS, is really buggy and can't even get notifications right :/
That's not good but at least we have Facebook...

WPBlox1989

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook app we're having for Windows Phone is the official one developed by Microsoft but contributed by Facebook themselves, so forget about Facebook, Inc. developing their own app for WP, Microsoft made it happen for them. Also we can forget about a finalized instagram for WP app made by Instagram Inc., it will never happen as well as the betas are made by Instagram but the finalized app will be developed by Microsoft with Instagram's contributions.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. With the Facebook app, Facebook is taking no credit for it. It's clearly labelled as having been developed by Microsoft. With the Instagram app, it's clearly labelled as having been developed by Instagram, and Instagram themselves (including the CEO) has had Instagram for Windows Phone on their blog and their feed.

I think you're saying that Instagram is going to develop all the betas and then hand it over to Microsoft to release as their own product? That seems really suspect and unlikely. I think it might be a case of "not enough information" as the article was written well before the app was released.

I've tweeted Daniel Rubino (who wrote that article) to find out what he meant. I'll post back here if he replies.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you're incorrect in your assumption. Here's what Daniel just said in reply to my tweet: "Long story short: MS had their own app; Instagram decided to make their own instead".

So I now return this thread to it's normally scheduled Facebook discussion. :)

WPBlox1989

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Then I have nothing to say but we'll see who'll has the last laugh about the finalized instagram for WP then we shall see which company's really the developer of the finalized app since most of us are still scratching our heads about the development changes of the instagram app.

-End of Off-Topic-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon