Help to finally fix missing posts from Facebook!

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So I've emailed this feedback to MS via the feedback link in the Facebook beta app. If all people who are experiencing the same could send something similar, it would be great. Also, please reply if you are having the same problem. It would be nice to get a view on how widespread this is..

Dear sir or madam,

First of all, thank you for all your efforts of giving us a better Facebook experience.

Unfortunately I have to say, I'm very frustrated with this Facebook app on Windows Phone. I'm on board for 1.5 years now, but this Facebook app in all its versions, has been having the same big problem continuously. It is the biggest problem this app is facing, because it fundamentally hits the purpose of this app. I really cannot understand, how after all this time, this problem gets so little attention among media and bug reports. You must be getting curious; what is this fundamental problem?

The problem:
- The app does not show all posts. Probably around 50% of what is available.

When I compare the newsfeed or a person's timeline in the app to the respective newsfeed or timeline on the website, in the browser or in other Facebook apps like JDB for Facebook or Facebook for Android, I notice that many, many posts are missing.

I could name a few example like, Instagram posts are missing and relationship status changes are missing, but I'm sure I would forget a lot, and you would get an incomplete view of what is going wrong here. To summarize it quickly: a lot is missing. I leave the investigation up to you.

I'm not the only person with this problem. Everyone I know in my personal live is having this problem. They are all using the mobile website m.facebook.com now. Which is a terrible experience on WP. These people are all so frustrated that they will never buy a Windows Phone again. They are women and non-techies whom you hear no complains from.

There are also a lot of people on Windows Phone Central reporting this problem. It took me months to get people aware of this issue. You only notice it once you compare the feeds, or once your buddy tells you, did you see this or that on Facebook? And you are like no?? What?? Well, we miss a lot with this app, let this be clear.

There are also some people on Windows Phone Central who claim to see everything, so it could be that this is only affecting 50% of the users, or some regions or languages. Perhaps the backend offered by Facebook differs for groups of users. So if you have problems reproducing the issue, please contact me, or someone else on Windows Phone Central who can reproduce it for you.

I've send feedback about this issue before, but never have I heard back from you, and after 1,5 years I'm on the verge of becoming very frustrated, and considering dropping the WP platform altogether. It is ridiculous, how this problem can survive for so long.

I hope I've made it clear to you what the problem is about, if you have any questions please contact me.

Best regards,

X

a_rob

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I too have messaged Microsoft a number of times to complain about the New Feeds omitting entires, most noticeably Instragrams. I'll get a notification telling me there's a new post/comment, but when I click it it tells me it can't get the data. All messages have received ZERO replies. Microsoft customer service fail.

I really wish Microsoft would give some kind of feedback, even if it bad news telling us that x, y, and z can't be displayed due to odd APIs or whatever.

It would be good also if they had a resolution option for Facebook photo uploads - 'standard' (as is) and higher res (which is accessible through the website but fails in Internet Explorer as Facebook's file browser/file selector won't work on WP8).

Guess we'll have to hold out for a 3rd party app alternative that ticks all the right boxes if Microsoft is incapable of updating their app with all necessary features!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I have situations where the news feed will skip hours to older entries. For example, I am viewing a post 1-2hrs old, then suddenly it will skip to a post 8-9 maybe more hours old. Sometimes manually loading fixes it, but other times it just doesn't work.

Melvinizer

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody! I've found the issue. The thing is you're Friend(s) have blocked 3rd party apps (By default setting) That's the reason The Facebook app or the Facebook beta app does not show most of the news feed from your friends. "Remember the Facebook app we have is created by Microsoft! Not Facebook." So the main Facebook server assumes this as a third party app.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody! I've found the issue. The thing is you're Friend(s) have blocked 3rd party apps (By default setting) That's the reason The Facebook app or the Facebook beta app does not show most of the news feed from your friends. "Remember the Facebook app we have is created by Microsoft! Not Facebook." So the main Facebook server assumes this as a third party app.

But even then, why do some of their posts do show up, and some not? I do not think this is the cause. I think it has more to do with what types of posts. Like they simply do not use certain API's to get certain posts loaded.

Jandieg

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely issues with the Facebook API. It has lots of issues regarding access permissions and sorting/paging. The moment I noted it I started using the web version and finally JDB Facebook (which uses the same web source).

I don't think Facebook will spend time in fixing something that is planned to be discontinued next year. Yes, API v1 will be shut down and replaced by API v2 which is much more restricted in many ways and I don't think it will be robust enough to serve a full featured Fb app like Facebook for WP. Unless Facebook makes an app for WP.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It is definitely issues with the Facebook API. It has lots of issues regarding access permissions and sorting/paging. The moment I noted it I started using the web version and finally JDB Facebook (which uses the same web source).

I don't think Facebook will spend time in fixing something that is planned to be discontinued next year. Yes, API v1 will be shut down and replaced by API v2 which is much more restricted in many ways and I don't think it will be robust enough to serve a full featured Fb app like Facebook for WP. Unless Facebook makes an app for WP.
Wow tterrible news.
So maybe we have a useful fb app in 2018?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I advised WP almost a year ago to my sister, telling her it has the best facebook integration and experience. It ends up to be the worst. She is using the mobile Facebook website all the time, and using the app just for notifications. She was actually the one who got me aware of the issue of missing posts, I never noticed it because I didn't compare the feeds.
But she looks into different things like a men's techy brain, and makes WP often look so crippled.
I have often no words, but have to admit, yes you are right, WP sucks for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes