Microsoft Should bring some of these features back

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure how many of you are familiar with Kin by Microsoft. I was just looking on youtube and randomly thought of the Kin by Microsoft(Basically Windows Phone 7 before we actually got WIndows phone 7 lol)
I think I had the Kin 2(the Kin One was ugly as sin) XD
043775-microsoft-kin.jpg

In all honesty, the Kin failed for stupid choices but the idea behind kin had so much potential and there are so many things I wish would've translated back into Windows Phone 7 and 8/8.1

For starters

1. Social Networking on the Kin was a bit meh but the idea was great....We sort of got it in Windows Phone 7 with the People's Hub but I love the way it looked on Kin. It was more visual and in your face.

2. There were a lot of Visual Elements of the OS that made it fun and Attractive looking. For Example on your lock Screen if someone text you, it had a cool little pop up of a message with that users face on it.
72455aafefcb74621c62274a4e8b3bf8.png

3. Kin Studio
While we have onedrive, I absolutely loved the Kin Studio...it actually had more functionality than Onedrive.
Here is a Video of Kin Studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4jbbRgM3M

It allowed you to access your kin phone without needing to have the phone there with you.

A. It arranged your photos by date and a nice little visual time line and by location i believe.
B. It allowed you to View text messages directly on your Computer and even be able to reply. Let's say your phone was dead or broken, that was pretty cool to be able to do .

C. Kin Spot was this little Circle at the bottom of the screen that you can drag images to(it was on the Studio and the phone) for easy sharing to social networking.

Like I said Kin was an epic fail...Mainly because it was a feature phone for the most part with a Smartphone data plan. It was ridiculous and Verizon more or less killed the device with their stupidity.

That being said there were a lot of things that
1. I think were better done with Kin than Microsoft has done with Windows Phone
2. Some Cool features that would really match the live tiles we have now.

These are the kind of things I think could really differentiate our OS instead of just the tiles and I'd love if Microsoft brought back a lot of the Kin features for Lumia and the other devices and implement them better.

The Idea behind the UI/OS was great(it is what brought us Windows Phone eventually) and with the hardware being exceptional, i think it'd be great.

Given the fact 520, 530 and 630 are popular phones for young teens....Some of these cool social networking aspects as well as Visual designs could appeal to more people imo.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I never saw a Kin or knew anybody who had one. My relatives who were teenagers at the time didn't use Verizon, so they wouldn't have gotten a Kin.

I think some of the features would appeal to a lot of people, young and old.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I never saw a Kin or knew anybody who had one. My relatives who were teenagers at the time didn't use Verizon, so they wouldn't have gotten a Kin.

I think some of the features would appeal to a lot of people, young and old.
I liked it but it lacked apps.
Literally. I don't even think there was a calculator lol.

It was definitely ahead of its time though

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I liked it but it lacked apps.
Literally. I don't even think there was a calculator lol.

It was definitely ahead of its time though
Wow! I thought a calculator was a basic feature even on feature phones. My mom had an LG CU400 feature phone in 2006, and it had a calculator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes