I love my Lumia 820/920 but had to get another phone...

dar9811

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia, my 920 and my 820, I absolutely adore them...

But MS/Nokia has got to do something about the lack of visible notification light on the phone.

Who wants to spend every minute of their day, checking their glance screen, waking up the phone just to see if i missed a call or text...

It was driving me crazy, It is such a simple thing, but so vital to a modern piece of tech.

The fact that MS/Nokia wont deal with this issue, has forced me to buy another phone.

I bought the Xperia M2, while the camera isnt as great, its got the one thing I need...a god damn notification light for calls and texts...Also the vibrate feature is much better. I feel the phone in my pocket. Neither Lumias vibrate function were that good, i do not know if the newer models were any better, but I got tired of having a phone i have to wave at, to see if I have missed something. It also has a call light too...so it grabs my attention...

It means Im not living on my phone every 2mins just to see if i missed a message or a call, such a simple thing...yet MS/Nokia for some reason refuse to do something about it. I dont know if the software has a design flaw (seems to be some issue there...) but its lack of forward thinking that drove me to another phone... The notification centre is completely irreleveant without the light to back it up, I still have to physically wake the phone up, get past the glance screen, unlock the phone to get that information...

I still use my Lumia, but i put it down now, because my other phone actually allows me to get on with my day again. Because of flawed basic design decision I used my phone upgrade to go in a different direction, whereby my phone doesnt have to sit in front of my eyes to check it...

Now I have two phones that just sit there doing nothing....Ill keep checking back and hope they do something about it...

Im absolutely gutted that I have had to move to another phone type... Now it alerts me, not the other way round...

Last edited:

dar9811

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
A junk phone that does exactly what i need, and cost me nothing...yet fixes a really big problem... the phone is irrelevant its the function it provides...

If the Lumia had this, I would have the most perfect phone...

I have an 820 and a 920 that can't compete with the most basic design flaw...

Lumia's are solid, well built, great camera, lovely interface..very usable (after about 10 updates later...)

But...

Last edited:

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I can understand wanting the notification light. I liked it on my old blackberry and on an android, at first. The problem for me was if it was a busy day the darn thing would be flashing constantly! It was a distraction and I realized I had to discipline myself to check the phone only once in awhile anyways. Otherwise I felt it was forcing me to spend to much time on it. Nothing was that important that couldn't wait 10 minutes. Now if I was a stock broker it would be different...

Last edited by a moderator:

dar9811

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I can understand wanting the notification light. I liked it on my old blackberry and on an android, at first. The problem for me was if it was a busy day the darn thing would be flashing constantly! It was a distraction and I realized I had to discipline myself to check the phone only once in awhile anyways. Otherwise I felt it was forcing me to spend to much time on it. Nothing was that important that couldn't wait 10 minutes. Now if I was a stock broker it would be different...

For me its the reverse...

I dont want to be checking my phone every 2 mins, im busy all the time, I have to take my phone out, wave at it, unlock the screen, get past glance...

With the other phone, I now see that I have missed a call/txt/app message straight away... I can respond or not as I choose..the choice is mine again..not 15 mins later when i realised I have missed an important/call message that I should be alerted too...

This evening I went out for dinner with friends, I was able to put my phone down, and didnt need to touch it again...I got on with my evening. With the Lumia last week, I had to keep waving my god damn hand over the phone, or turn it on, or open the glance screen and it got on my nerves...

I cant even disable the lock screen, theres no option to do that, (5 mins), which leaves with glance..if it wasnt a problem then MS wouldnt have designed the notification centre around it, to combat the issue in the first place...its just messy and poorly thought out...

I use my Lumia now as backup, but my primary should be that...I will hang onto them, hope they fix that problem....

Last edited:

silversid2

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I must admit its the one thing about this phone that annoys me as well, I'm coming from a Nokia E72 which had notification flash for text/calls/emails, which was very usefull.
But I still love it so it stays.

Darren Collett1

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Its frustrating big time, but i still love my lumia phones... I have another upgrade in 30 days, I dont know what I am going to do yet, whether to go for another lumia or just stay with what ive got...

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I do like a notification light, and that's one feature that I like about the Nexus 5, and the Galaxy S5 and Note 4. It would be nice if Windows phone had such a feature. Too bad a developer hasn't come up with an app that can flash different notification icons. I know that there is one for Android, but I forgot the name. Especially with the AMOLED screen on the 820, it'll only have to light up those pixels for the icon, rather than turn on the entire screen.

I've been thinking of selling the Nexus 5, and getting a new Moto X, but that phone doesn't have a notification light either. It's one feature that I really like on a phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Too bad a developer hasn't come up with an app that can flash different notification icons. I know that there is one for Android, but I forgot the name.

You're probably referring to Light Flow. In my opinion, it is one of the most useful apps on any platform.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Telu Darkwaver

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Glance screen will kill the battery, you cant win. I wish i could turn off the lock screen (but cant), again 5 mins max on that, (i know that appears to be carrier dependant). The glance screen/notification centre was added to address this issue, i suppose i could have it alert me in intervals, but a small led seems so simple by design that MS could overlook it...somehow...

Over the course of the last weekend ive had time to get used to my new phone...I know someone posted that the m2 is crap, but I havent found anything wrong with it...

Its got a bigger screen, bigger battery, notification lights, same storage as lumia 820, the pixel ratio isnt the same, but im not sure if its lower or higher...due to the larger size, but it is .7 larger and very clean... (im not a screen nut)...The battery seems to last longer...even though im using it more...The camera isnt as good as the 920/820 either....but...

The only thing i see so far i dont like, is the speaker quality isnt as good, but its not earth shattering, and the battery isnt as quick to charge as the lumias...

I still use my lumia, but prefer this one now...(the 920 has the bigger screen though...)

I am simply going with what works for me..if they fix the notification thing, we have a perfect piece of kit in the Lumia...

Last edited:

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope still don't get it. First off the Glance screen has very little effect on battery usage and as you seem to just leave it laying around why not leave it laid on the charging pad? Second, if you are close enough to your phone to be able to check it every minute then you are close enough to hear the alerts. Third, is it really such a hassle to wave your hand over the phone whenever you pass it by? If you were really expecting a time critical call or message you would surely keep it with you.

Telu Darkwaver

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I leave it on the charging pad, i have one in every room, but i still have to physically check the phone...with a notification light i dont have to do anything, thats it..done.

Yes, to have to keep waking up the phone is a hassle, the notification light immediately removes that need for me to do that, i dont have to check the phone, the phone has visibily alerted me to the need to attend to to it..not the other way round.

If i could disable the lock screen too that would be helpful...

it says quite clearly on the phone that leave glance on will kill the battery, but ill give it a try...

I love my Lumia phones, i just need something more servicable...

Telu Darkwaver

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This is not a phone war...this is fact not fiction, ms shortcomings on the phone are being addressed, thats why they added the notification centre, the worrying part about that is, they cant or wont add the ability for a notification light to run..I do not know why, do any developers know why? anyone program know that side of it?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I leave it on the charging pad, i have one in every room, but i still have to physically check the phone...with a notification light i dont have to do anything, thats it..done
There is an option to only display the Glance screen when charging. If you can see a notification light you can see the Glance screen although you may want to not use a Glance background picture to make the notifications symbols stand out more.

Spinafication

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I too loved the LED I had on my previous phones, but Glance is great. I use a desktop charger stand so Glance is on all day and the phone is easy to see. I now find it better than the LED.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I leave it on the charging pad, i have one in every room, but i still have to physically check the phone...with a notification light i dont have to do anything, thats it..done.

Yes, to have to keep waking up the phone is a hassle, the notification light immediately removes that need for me to do that, i dont have to check the phone, the phone has visibily alerted me to the need to attend to to it..not the other way round.

If i could disable the lock screen too that would be helpful...

it says quite clearly on the phone that leave glance on will kill the battery, but ill give it a try...

I love my Lumia phones, i just need something more servicable...

While it's not the perfect solution, or the one you want, turn Glance on Peek mode, and set it to always on while charging. It uses very little battery. It will come on every time you pick up your phone, or take it out of your pocket, and always be on while charging. It's the best you're going to get with a Windows Phone, at the present.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how crazily you rely on a silly little notification light and consider its omission a drastic design flaw when me, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know in my area, does not care much for a notification LED and considers it a minor convenience feature at best.

You say you feel the need to check your phone every minute of the day. That's not healthy. That's an obsession and you might want to fix that before fixing your phone. Is it so painful to check once an hour instead?

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how crazily you rely on a silly little notification light and consider its omission a drastic design flaw when me, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know in my area, does not care much for a notification LED and considers it a minor convenience feature at best.

You say you feel the need to check your phone every minute of the day. That's not healthy. That's an obsession and you might want to fix that before fixing your phone. Is it so painful to check once an hour instead?

PS: Glance barely kills the battery. Especially if you're using AMOLED. It SAYS it has a drain on battery, but it doesn't say it will "kill" it, so no idea where you got that ridiculous exaggeration from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes