How can I know if a phone will work with my carrier?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
How can I know if a phone will work with my carrier

I'm looking to buy a Windows Phone again but I'm not sure how things work with carriers. I'm looking at a Lumia 640 from the US. I'm in Canada. My current phone is a Galaxy S4 which is exactly the same model (SGH-M919) as T-Mobile in the US. The Lumia 640 is offered on T-Mobile. Also, I have LTE and the Lumia 640 has LTE. So can I take for granted that, if I put my SIM card in the 640 that it will work with my carrier?

My carrier doesn't seem to know a lot about smartphones so, unless it's really necessary, I would like to not have to ask them :p

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to think yes from a tech standpoint, but first, does your phone need to be unlocked or can it be T-Mo locked? Ask the carrier, they should at least be able to tell you that basic fact. Well, the website should say.

If it requires an unlocked device, you can't just pick up a model here in the states.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I know if a phone will work with my carrier

I'm looking to buy a Windows Phone again but I'm not sure how things work with carriers. I'm looking at a Lumia 640 from the US. I'm in Canada. My current phone is a Galaxy S4 which is exactly the same model (SGH-M919) as T-Mobile in the US. The Lumia 640 is offered on T-Mobile. Also, I have LTE and the Lumia 640 has LTE. So can I take for granted that, if I put my SIM card in the 640 that it will work with my carrier?

My carrier doesn't seem to know a lot about smartphones so, unless it's really necessary, I would like to not have to ask them :p

Thanks!

You are on Videotron?

No LTE is that correct?

You need AWS band 4 on your 3G radio and that means 1700 and 2100 MHz must be present - which lines up with the S4 being the same variant as T-MoUS.

Any T-Mo device would have to be unlocked from T-Mo before it would work for you on Videotron.

Better yet, these guys ship to Canada and they have Factory Unlocked models. You could get a 640, a 640 XL or some other choice. Just make sure to check the specs and ensure it says 1700 and 2100 for 3G.

lumia | B&H Photo Video

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: How can I know if a phone will work with my carrier

Oh nice thanks! Yes I'm with Videotron. I checked with them and they told me what too look for as far as networks. The phone I found is compatible and with LTE. But if it doesn't work out I'm definitely checking out your link! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon