Torn Between WP and Android!

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello, all!

It's that time of year when I start fiddling around with upgrading possibilities. I currently have a Nexus 5, which I love very much, but I always like trying something new. I went from BlackBerry to Android and had been thinking about sticking with Android; but, to be honest, I've always had a thing for the Lumia series - ever since the 900 came out - and I was doing some research on the 830 (I'm with Rogers, and it looks like that's the only current WP device that they stock, other than the 630?). However, I'm not sure if I should go with the 830 or the LG G3. I'd love to jump ship again because I crave new phone experiences; so I was hoping if you guys could maybe tell me about your experiences using the Lumia 830. Here are my questions (please bear in mind that I do not know a lot about WP/Windows apps, so please be patient with me!)

- how durable is this phone?
- can I get apps like Netflix on the Lumia? I do a ton of Netflix viewing on my phone, so it would have to be of good screen quality as well. The videos from YouTube seemed to show good screen quality, but I've never played around with a Lumia before, so I am unsure.
- the phone is close to five inches, is it not? I know I can simply Google this, but yeah. Just curious.

Plus, I am always using Microsoft Office, so I am sure that syncing all my files and documents to my phone would be amazing...But yeah, I'm torn! If anyone could be of assistance, please answer with your thoughts! Thank you!

Satorindley

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind that Google does not AT ALL support Windows Phone. That means no Google Docs (though Word is better IMO in Win10Mo) , no Official YouTube app (although Tubecast and myTube! are probably better anyway) etc. I'm not sure about the durability as I do not own the 830 (I have 735) but my 735 has been super durable. (I have fell over on concrete with it in my hand and dropped it a few times with little damage at all!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Little bro has the 830 and he likes it a lot to be honest. I almost got one but chose the lumia 640 xl

Netflix works fine and Lumias are quite durable

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello, all!

It's that time of year when I start fiddling around with upgrading possibilities. I currently have a Nexus 5, which I love very much, but I always like trying something new. I went from BlackBerry to Android and had been thinking about sticking with Android; but, to be honest, I've always had a thing for the Lumia series - ever since the 900 came out - and I was doing some research on the 830 (I'm with Rogers, and it looks like that's the only current WP device that they stock, other than the 630?). However, I'm not sure if I should go with the 830 or the LG G3. I'd love to jump ship again because I crave new phone experiences; so I was hoping if you guys could maybe tell me about your experiences using the Lumia 830. Here are my questions (please bear in mind that I do not know a lot about WP/Windows apps, so please be patient with me!)

- can I get apps like Netflix on the Lumia? I do a ton of Netflix viewing on my phone, so it would have to be of good screen quality as well. The videos from YouTube seemed to show good screen quality, but I've never played around with a Lumia before, so I am unsure.
- the phone is close to five inches, is it not? I know I can simply Google this, but yeah. Just curious.

Plus, I am always using Microsoft Office, so I am sure that syncing all my files and documents to my phone would be amazing...But yeah, I'm torn! If anyone could be of assistance, please answer with your thoughts! Thank you!
Other than Netflix and Office, what other apps do you need? Please let us know, and we will be able to help you find out if they are available for Windows Phone.

Honestly, I would wait at this time and not get any update (unless the device you have does not work). Microsoft Office for Windows Phone 8.1 is not nearly as good as it is for Android at the present time. That wil probably change when new Windows 10 Mobile devices are released, and Windows 10 Mobile is official rather than Technical Preview.

If you do need to get a new device, you shoud get one that has all the functionality you need now, not at a later date.

If you can wait, I feel that you should. The brand new Windows 10 Mobile devices running official Windows 10 Mobile out of the box should be much better than anything currently available.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Right now is a great time to get a windows phone. With MS transitioning to windows 10 it is exciting times ahead. Which if you care to, can be part of it.
Im currently using W10M (technical preview) on my lumia1020. I like the fact that we users get to basically shape the OS as we see fit. (kind of) MS has given us alot of channels to share our feedback, views, grievances and suggestions. MS is listening. (check @gabeaul on twitter) I also like the path MS is taking with "universal apps". Basically making apps have the same look, feel and productivity across devices; Thus giving us users a way better integration across devices. This also includes services as well. Going forward it is exciting times that users get to play a role in the way the OS is shaped. (kind of)
To answer your questions
Durability - MS has taken a leaf from nokia with the lumia series. Built very solid. No cheap plastic feel.
Netflix - its there. An official app. Quality is great streaming and there are alot of user options. Speaking of apps, the only one I cant find even 3rd party is IMO. (Some 3rd party apps are better than official ones)
I've never handled the 830. From all accounts it suits your needs. Not too pricey, well built, good screen, good camera.
Let me know if you have any more questions

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From my time with the Lumia 830 I was disappointed with it. A bit sluggish for me. Apparently it is fine for Satya Nadella to use as his daily driver according to Mary Jo Foley.

The 640XL runs very well from what I've seen friends show off and continually talk about. Not sure if Rogers has a display unit you can take a look at, but I'd have a look at it if you can.

As for the LG G3, until they push Android 5.1 or Android M when it launches later this year, I'd steer of it. Again, just too sluggish and the other day I got frustrated because it took way too long for the camera to open and for me to take a picture I put my sim card back in my iPhone 6 I was that annoyed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
From my time with the Lumia 830 I was disappointed with it. A bit sluggish for me. Apparently it is fine for Satya Nadella to use as his daily driver according to Mary Jo Foley.

The 640XL runs very well from what I've seen friends show off and continually talk about. Not sure if Rogers has a display unit you can take a look at, but I'd have a look at it if you can.

As for the LG G3, until they push Android 5.1 or Android M when it launches later this year, I'd steer of it. Again, just too sluggish and the other day I got frustrated because it took way too long for the camera to open and for me to take a picture I put my sim card back in my iPhone 6 I was that annoyed.

The 830 and the 640 xl both have the same processor so they should perform on par with or another.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I left Android for WP and am very happy. Lollipop killed the battery life of my Nexus 5. I now have a Lumina 830 and it has great battery life, a removable battery, and an sd slot. It is durable, smooth, and has all the apps I need. Good luck with your decision. .

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have an 830 I've been using as a backup. I also drove it for a month steady after first getting it.

How durable? It's a modern cell phone. They ALL have their fragilities. A full polycarbonite body in compact form (like the notoriously hard to kill Lumia 920) would be stronger, for sure. However, I've never looked at my 830 as particularly at risk or fragile. It has a pleasant heft and a nice balance. Feels premium. I love the design and find it ubersexy. I'd put the squared off corners and broad band frame against any Galaxy thin strip of metal ring and bet on 830 to win an endurance test every time. The back attaches very solidly. It's fiddly to put on, but when that is on there you are hard pressed to see it is even removable. A phone is like a person. It should never leave the house naked. That's just asking for trouble. You should take care and protect any phone, IMHO. Will an 830 crumble apart when touched? No. Will it survive a fall? No one can say. Every fall is unique. A lot more of it is luck than most people admit.

Sorry I don't really Flix or Tube. Next question.

The screen is 5" and looks very nice. The 294ppi helps. IMHO 300ppi is the sweet spot where a human eye is hard pressed to see any difference with normal viewing distance. Got an uber dense screen? Do you squint up and press it right to your eyeball to see breaks in pixels? 294ppi looks sweet when you hold the phone normally. It's 720p and the Lumia Color Profile and Brightness Profile settings will have you dialed in just how you like. IPS LCD has great sunlight readability. I like the screen on the 830 very much. Oh, has ClearBlack as well and GG3.

You didn't ask, but let me brag on the camera a bit. I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the camera on Lumia 830. I had it in a shootout with my 1520 megapixel beast and a venerated 92x camera in the form of a 928. The 830 camera performed right up there. I love the camera on the 830. It really hits a sweet spot.

Lumia 830 is a great all around phone. Probably the best all around phone of this generation of Windows Phones.

[/my2cents]

8mir

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone still need some time
To finish windows 10 but windows 8.1 still works fine I like wp os is essey fast and saving battery
I have recharge my phone one time daily

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, all!

Thank you so much for your responses. They have all been so helpful! I am relieved that Netflix is available, and I'm okay with using a YouTube-equivalent. Plus, the screen quality and size sound great for viewing.

With considering all angles, I'm now wondering if I should wait and see what WP has in store. But I'll still do some research. Just not sure of what to do, to be honest. But that's me - I overanalyze everything! :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I have 3 Windows Phones. HTC 8X (an old flagship from HTC) Lumia 520 and Lumia 930. So basically all screen size, cpu powers and ram.
I urge you to make a list of your apps, because maybe you have a default app that you are using like flipboard on android and you expect the same on Windows Phone, but be aware you will not get the same thing even if the app is official. For example there are apps that perform ok on a Lumia 520 due to screen size ratio, but on a HTC or Lumia 930 you get a black bar on top. This happens even on some official apps.
The thing is Windows is lacking big time on apps, netflix when launched worked ok, but it took them several months to implement the option to be able to use 2 accounts.
Instagram is still in beta for 2 years. For this app you have a third party, but between you and me, is not the same. Also it has ads, you need to pay to get rid of them.
So again, I am telling you, whatever you are using on android, do not, DO NOT make the supposition that you will get the same treatment on Windows.

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 Windows Phones. HTC 8X (an old flagship from HTC) Lumia 520 and Lumia 930. So basically all screen size, cpu powers and ram.
I urge you to make a list of your apps, because maybe you have a default app that you are using like flipboard on android and you expect the same on Windows Phone, but be aware you will not get the same thing even if the app is official. For example there are apps that perform ok on a Lumia 520 due to screen size ratio, but on a HTC or Lumia 930 you get a black bar on top. This happens even on some official apps.
The thing is Windows is lacking big time on apps, netflix when launched worked ok, but it took them several months to implement the option to be able to use 2 accounts.
Instagram is still in beta for 2 years. For this app you have a third party, but between you and me, is not the same. Also it has ads, you need to pay to get rid of them.
So again, I am telling you, whatever you are using on android, do not, DO NOT make the supposition that you will get the same treatment on Windows.

Hello! Yes, that is actually one of the first things I thought about when I thought about jumping platforms again. When I had my BlackBerry devices (both of which I loved - the Bold 9780 and the Q10), I didn't have a lot of apps - I didn't really see a need for them. But when I switched to Android, I started using Netflix, Google Fit, Facebook Messenger, etc. I don't like admitting it, but I need to be able to access my core apps. I've really wanted to try out a Lumia, so I'm unsure of what to do now. I am sure WP has its own versions of certain apps that I use (fitness, music, etc.)... But if official apps have some glitches/issues, I know I will be disappointed.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Yes, that is actually one of the first things I thought about when I thought about jumping platforms again. When I had my BlackBerry devices (both of which I loved - the Bold 9780 and the Q10), I didn't have a lot of apps - I didn't really see a need for them. But when I switched to Android, I started using Netflix, Google Fit, Facebook Messenger, etc. I don't like admitting it, but I need to be able to access my core apps. I've really wanted to try out a Lumia, so I'm unsure of what to do now. I am sure WP has its own versions of certain apps that I use (fitness, music, etc.)... But if official apps have some glitches/issues, I know I will be disappointed.

Make a list and then search the store or ask here for recommendations. For the most part you should be okay. For the ones where you have gaps, see if the mobile website is any good and then you can just pin the website on the start screen. Let us know if you need any more help.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What apps do you use for music? Do you listen to music that you own and have installed on your device, or do you stream music? Do you have any paid music subscriptions? If so, which apps?

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
It always boils down to apps these days - so grab your phone, post your must have apps and we can advice on what sort of user experience you are likely to get (of course that is subjective as things that annoy folks here may not bother you - but it's some relevant information).

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello, all,

Thank you so much for your informative responses! I will make a list of my used apps and go from there.

- YouTube (I don't stream/download any music - as long as I can have a YouTube-equivalent app, I don't really care what it is!)
- Netflix (this is a must)
- Google Fit (again, an equivalent is fine)
- Instagram (don't use very often, so if it's not on there, it's not a huge deal)
- Twitter (kinda the same deal as Instagram)
- Zedge
- Facebook Messenger
- My Fitness Pal
- Snapchat (same deal as Instagram and Twitter, though)
- SwitfKey (however, if the Windows keyboard is good, I won't see a huge need for SwitfKey, most likely)

... Phew. Okay, I think that's a comprehensive list!

I'm pretty sure I saw quite a few of these apps on the Windows Store website... So I was actually quite relieved. There's just something about these Lumia devices that have made me come back to them every time... So I'm just trying to figure out if I should make the switch. The fact that Rogers has the 830 for $0 is a huge temptation; as the other phones I'm looking at are still on the expensive side. And since I upgrade every year and a half or so, paying a boatload of money now seems fruitless.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, all,

Thank you so much for your informative responses! I will make a list of my used apps and go from there.

- YouTube (I don't stream/download any music - as long as I can have a YouTube-equivalent app, I don't really care what it is!)
- Netflix (this is a must)
- Google Fit (again, an equivalent is fine)
- Instagram (don't use very often, so if it's not on there, it's not a huge deal)
- Twitter (kinda the same deal as Instagram)
- Zedge
- Facebook Messenger
- My Fitness Pal
- Snapchat (same deal as Instagram and Twitter, though)
- SwitfKey (however, if the Windows keyboard is good, I won't see a huge need for SwitfKey, most likely)

... Phew. Okay, I think that's a comprehensive list!

I'm pretty sure I saw quite a few of these apps on the Windows Store website... So I was actually quite relieved. There's just something about these Lumia devices that have made me come back to them every time... So I'm just trying to figure out if I should make the switch. The fact that Rogers has the 830 for $0 is a huge temptation; as the other phones I'm looking at are still on the expensive side. And since I upgrade every year and a half or so, paying a boatload of money now seems fruitless.

Here are the apps you will be able to probably pick up:
myTube, Metrotube, or Tubecast (great YT solutions)
Netflix should be there
Not familiar with Google Fit, but we do have MS Health. (no Google stuff here!)
6tag is the only real contender, despite there being an official IG app.
Twitter's here
(Don't know what Zedge is)
We have messenger, no calls though as of now.
(Not familiar with My Fitness Pal)
No Snapchat. period. (sadly)
The built-in keyboard is quite nice with Swype functionality.

and the 830 is a fine phone. I had no qualms with it (other than with the carrier down here in the US)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon