Why am I unable to get a phone with Microsoft Complete plan replaced?

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unable to get phone with Microsoft Complete plan replaced

I have been being bounced around Microsoft support numbers all morning. My wife broke the screen on her 1520 and when we bought it 9 months ago we purchased the Microsoft Complete plan for it. The store is 2 hours away so I'm trying to avoid having to drive out there. I've called Technical Support for the Microsoft Store who referenced me to Windows Phone support who told me to contact Microsoft Account support when they punted me back to the Store. Apparently no one can tell me how to replace the phone. Do I need to drive out to the store or is there some magical hidden number to call for the Microsoft Complete service agreements. Both my wife and I are extremely annoyed that we can't get this taken care of.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unable to get phone with Microsoft Complete plan replaced

In the US, call toll free 1-877-696-7786 and have your Contract Purchase Receipt available.

You will need to be provided with a Claim Authorization number and they will be the ones to give you further instructions on how to obtain service for your product.

The number I have given you is the number given on page 6 of 8 of the Microsoft Consumer Complete Terms and Conditions. You can get a copy of the PDF of those terms and conditions below. I apologize for the method of linking, but when I wrap it in the URL tags, it gets changed to something that causes an error. Not sure why at the moment.

Please manually copy and paste the link below:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/html/pbpage.TermsAndConditions

Tech support for the store and phone support can't help you. They have nothing to do with the Microsoft Complete plan. Neither does your Microsoft Account. Not sure what those people were thinking as they bounced you around. The number I gave is for Microsoft Complete, so you should be good to go with that one.

Last edited:

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately that was actually the first number I called and they were unable to help. So far the only option we have is to drive over 2 hours to the nearest Microsoft store and have them give us a new phone, which I was told will not be a 1520, but the newer 640 XL so we're not happy about that either. Once I get home I'm going to pull out the receipt and try calling again but at this point I think we're going to be stuck going on a long drive this weekend. Makes me wish I purchased the ATT insurance, at least I wouldn't need to take a 4-5 hour road trip just to get a replacement phone.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not satisfied with that at all. The number they give in their Terms and Conditions couldn't help? The direct number for Administration of this plan?

A 640XL is nowhere NEAR the replacement of a 1520. While a fine device I'm sure, it's still a mid-range phone compared to a flagship. It would take several of them to replace the 1520, and you are getting burned on the camera.

WHAT IS COVERED – GENERAL
In accordance with the SERVICE CONTRACT TERM described above, in the event of a covered Claim this Contract provides labor and/or parts required to
repair the covered Product, or at Our sole discretion, replacement of the originally covered Product in lieu of repair.
1. About Repairs: Parts used to repair the Product may be new, used, refurbished or non-original manufacturer parts that perform to the factory
specifications of the original Product.
2. About Replacements: In the event We determine the original Product cannot be repaired, We will make every reasonable effort to replace the
defective Product with one of the same model/features; however, We reserve the right to replace the defective Product with one of equal or
similar features and functionality.
Sounds to me like they are not living up to their contract to make reasonable effort to replace the product with one of equal or similar features and functionality. Other than a "similar" size, I can't see how a 1520 and a 640XL could be called similar. If they insist on giving you the 640XL, I'd insist on contacting their insurer to file a claim against them, and would tell them so. Who to contact to file a claim will depend on what state you live in. I'll send you a PM about that.

Replacement parts are still available for the 1520. Repairs should be the first option on the table. Someone is trying to avoid paperwork and trying to avoid doing their job. Make them do their job, politely but firmly. Never raise your voice, always be civil and polite, but they should be aware that you know the contract and your rights. Believe me, they don't want to violate their contract. It could possibly get someone fired, not to mention the costs involved to them, which would cost you nothing.

You can always tell them you'd be willing to accept a 640XL as a "loaner" until the Cityman is available. ;)

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, honestly, my wife is so frustrated at this point she just wants to go to ATT/Apple and get an iPhone and I can't blame here. We have an Apple store 15 minutes from the house and we would most likely not have to go through this kind of hassle with Apple Care. This situation has left me extremely disappointed with Microsoft and I've been using their mobile OS since Windows Mobile 6.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm putting in about $150 in repairs (screen and side button strip) on my 1520.

I would not settle for a 640 XL.

I've found the store support to be rather poor. It's not up to the quality of their tech support.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm, but then I experienced their Surface Support 5 times, and I can't help but say that I enjoyed every session as they were actually helpful and friendly xD, very satisfied with the service

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I found my receipt at least, and it clearly shows $99 for Microsoft Complete for Windows Phone. Not that it does me any good. I called the 1-877-696-7786 number again and when I try to select technical support for Windows phone it just says go to the website and hangs up on me. That's how helpful that is. I'm also not even seeing Microsoft Complete as an option for phones anymore on the Microsoft store site so I'm wondering if they are no longer offering it for phones?

At this point even if I do purchase another Windows Phone I certainly won't be wasting my time with their Complete Plan.

Last edited:

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As an update on my situation, after calling the store number multiple times, I was able to get connected directly to the manager of the store at which I purchased the phone. She said she would put in a request to get the same phone and she said she would contact me by end of business tomorrow. And at least I got her name and the direct number.

I've also been on another chat session with Windows Phone support and they are trying to tell me that the Complete package does not apply to phones. Which clearly it does since I have the receipt that shows it as an item. So apparently Microsoft just dropped it as an option, which would explain why I've been having such a hard time trying to get the phone replaced. Which also makes me question the entire program, if they are just going to drop support for a device half way through the contract period what kind of service is that.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm, but then I experienced their Surface Support 5 times, and I can't help but say that I enjoyed every session as they were actually helpful and friendly xD, very satisfied with the service

That is a fantastic division. The store support on the other hand is like a different company.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

This is what so many people complain about. A lot of people say Microsoft just doesn't care about the phone division. As much as Satya Nadella tries to dispel that idea, it's actions like this with Windows phone compared to other products that make people believe they don't care. People don't listen to what you say, they listen to what you do.

As an update on my situation, after calling the store number multiple times, I was able to get connected directly to the manager of the store at which I purchased the phone. She said she would put in a request to get the same phone and she said she would contact me by end of business tomorrow. And at least I got her name and the direct number.
I sincerely hope this person will take care of the situation for you to your satisfaction.
I've also been on another chat session with Windows Phone support and they are trying to tell me that the Complete package does not apply to phones. Which clearly it does since I have the receipt that shows it as an item. So apparently Microsoft just dropped it as an option, which would explain why I've been having such a hard time trying to get the phone replaced. Which also makes me question the entire program, if they are just going to drop support for a device half way through the contract period what kind of service is that.
Actually, Microsoft's own current terms of service says otherwise. Windows Phone with Accidental Damage and Handling IS COVERED with Complete, and they had better start recognizing that fact. They probably just haven't had many callers with it, because let's face it, most people buy the budget phone.

When you talk to that Windows Phone Support, and they tell you that it doesn't apply, you let them know that your terms of service tells you otherwise, and that you have the legal contract to prove it. The legal contract being the copy of the Terms of Service (which I will be happy to email to you through PM contact if you can't find it) and the original receipt. With that in hand, they must by law honor it. Let them know that and also that you wish to escalate the call up the ladder starting next with their supervisor. They must by law oblige. You need to talk to someone with more knowledge than just a regular call representative. They just aren't going to be able to help. Get a supervisor on the line, and, if you have to, keep escalating it up to a vice-president. I've done that on several occasions with other companies (not Microsoft) and have always gotten results. I also know the ins and outs of call centers and corporate law somewhat, so that helps.

If the Store Manager gets it resolved, I wouldn't worry about calling support back even. At this point, I say let the Store Manager try to handle it, and if that doesn't work, we'll need to escalate it further.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

So another update, the store manager says she can get use a 1520 as a replacement. The problem however was my wife still had to drive the 2 hours to the store to do paperwork and turn in her old phone. And the 1520 won't be here for a couple of days still. Supposedly once the store receives it then they will overnight it to us. So hopefully in a couple days my wife will have a new 1520 and we can move on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes