Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
When are we getting new Windows Phones to be released? Im ready to jump on board to a windows phone. Everyone tells me to wait. Im being impatient. LOL

Likely somewhere within the next 2 months. I don't think any manufacturers are releasing new WP models until W10 Mobile is finished.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any hands-on experience with W10m so I can't say whether it will be bad enough to make me consider getting an iphone on the basis of OS alone. I'm sure it's something that will be gotten used to. But the renders for the new 'flagships' certainly are disappointing. The do not look high-end. The Lumia 830 (aside from it's screen-flex) is a better looking phone than these, and that's even allowing for the hideous black-circle camera area... I hate that design element and hate seeing it be extended to more phones). Unless the cameras just blow away what the Lumia 1020 could do, I doubt I'll be getting one of these.

Spangl01

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
EXACTLY on ALL counts. The "metallic frame" that everyone is touting actually caused the glass to shatter on my ICON due to a dent in one corner from a drop on a linoleum covered WOOD floor so I'm fine with something other than a metallic phone anyway.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Although i do like the design's, dont get me wrong,,im not trying to praise the 50 and 50xl. Im just trying to say that some people on here are a little too wrapped up with what in there own minds a "Flagship" should look like, especially when they're basing that opinion on rendered pictures and leaked photos and not a finished product thats ready to be released to the public.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

You are right about one thing here: unfinished products. Though MS will launch them as other unfinished and buggy product: win 10 for PC. I have it on my Lenovo Miix 3 and after only 3 weeks I had to reinstall it...this is how reliable it is. I barelly installed a game and basic stuff: avg, 7zip, bsplayer and woke up with it not updating apps from the store with 80073cf9 error. dism,sfc all said everything is fine..weird. removed my ms account from it, created a local account and nothing wanted to open: start menu, settings, not even tray icons: there is no association for... great wasn't it? I am also using a macbook pro, and for 4 years with every new os version I had no problems at all,none after upgrading. Also with windows 8.1 upgrade from 8.0 there were no issues at all...which leads me to the question: what the ***** has MS done with windows 10??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

You are right about one thing here: unfinished products. Though MS will launch them as other unfinished and buggy product: win 10 for PC. I have it on my Lenovo Miix 3 and after only 3 weeks I had to reinstall it...this is how reliable it is. I barelly installed a game and basic stuff: avg, 7zip, bsplayer and woke up with it not updating apps from the store with 80073cf9 error. dism,sfc all said everything is fine..weird. removed my ms account from it, created a local account and nothing wanted to open: start menu, settings, not even tray icons: there is no association for... great wasn't it? I am also using a macbook pro, and for 4 years with every new os version I had no problems at all,none after upgrading. Also with windows 8.1 upgrade from 8.0 there were no issues at all...which leads me to the question: what the ***** has MS done with windows 10??

What build are you running? Never had that issue with W10 since it went public plus post updates. I'm not switching back to Mac, I got bored. Just looking at the UI makes me want to sleep. I've owned 4 different Mac desktop/laptops since 2012 and have tried Snow Leopard up until Yosemite and comparing the experience with Windows 10, I like Windows 10 better. Now they all run parallels 11 and bootcamp 6.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Xperia Z5 is what you consider an attractive phone? Ugh, that gold trim looks like ****e. The fact that the gold bits don't even match in color is atrocious. Overall, it almost looks like a bad iPhone 4 knockoff. It's unfortunate because I generally like Sony's designs far more than anything from Apple.

But really, the biggest problem with that phone is the gold color, otherwise the design is not dissimilar to the 950's. This just goes to show that if you had a bit of metal to any old crap people will think it's the best looking-thing ever.

Spec-wise, it's identical to the 950XL; except that it's driving a higher resolution display which will likely translate into reduced performance. And it's running Android, which is another mark against it.

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Hi, did you try installing MacOS on your Miix 3? Have a go at that and let us know how you get on.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not overly fond of the rendered designs myself yet the more important question is, what regions will these be available in and will it follow suit with the past? As it stands now my carrier has most high-end models available from the top manufactures yet WP has “always” been dismal, if this next batch succumbs to the same fate we might have to look to the competition.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm not overly fond of the rendered designs myself yet the more important question is, what regions will these be available in and will it follow suit with the past? As it stands now my carrier has most high-end models available from the top manufactures yet WP has ?always? been dismal, if this next batch succumbs to the same fate we might have to look to the competition.

same in RO with my carrier. I even asked them if I may know the reason. Of course the said, they don't sell, we have no demand for them. And trust me in RO wp devices have been advertised on TV and websites, but they don't sell. A guy from another big carrier told me that he has been responsible for mobile device department marketing and aquisition since 2008, and when MS launched wp7 he was convinced that a new player would gather more customers, curios about the new platform. it did, but after few months he ended up with dozens of return because of how bad it was.After a year of sell and return he dropped the wp platform as a main advertising idea. now only few handsets they have, just to say that they have from every paltform, not really to sell and advertise. I remember orange and vodafone selling windows mobile 6 and 6.5 devices like hell to both business and end users...as choppy as it was wm6.5 sold better.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I don't know about some of you guys. I've had a lot of cell phones, and right now i've got the LG G3, and the Nexus 5. As far as i'm concerned, the 950XL is designed better than either one. If i could take it home right now, i would.:excited::winktongue:

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Maybe my aesthetic sensibilities are not as advanced as some others out there, but I quite like the renders. I'm convinced the final product will be different but these aren't too shabby either. I would have preferred a phone that looks like the 830 with these specs, but I'll happily take a phone that is built like the 640 with Talkman specs.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
What's amazing to me is that nobody seems to care about the increased cost of the phones that have fancy materials. They'd rather spend $100+ more to get a phone with no hardware advantage whatsoever, but that is going to be seen as pretty for a couple months before the design inevitably loses it's appeal to newer phone designs. That doesn't really make much sense to me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Aesthetics and beauty of a Smartphone are important alongside functionality/features... Phones are to most more than just some ugly tool like a hammer or a shovel, but instead are great tools that most also want to be beautiful... Like a Wrist Watch, or a Stove, Refrigerator, or a Car... I'd like to think every once wants their motor vehicle to be very top notch function wise, AND have a beautify design...

I don't see anything wrong with that

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
But on another note, the Blue Lumia 950xl image actually doesn't look too bad imo... It is like a mix between the 928, 830, and 640 XL .. I kinda like it, and it'll probably look even better in person, especially with that 1mm silver lining and aluminum buttons.. And that flat front panel probably looks absolutely beautiful like the Surface, on and off...

The 950 looks worse to me though... The thick silver rim looks bad imo, and just how the entire makeup of the backside of the device comes together is ugly to me, but maybe my perspective will change when seeing actual photos and not images made in a program...

Nokia's past flagships were truly the result of Beautiful Art and Advanced Technology coming together... Highly Functional and Beautiful, like a Sports Car...

Nothing at all wrong with me wanting my phone to look good

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
They're indeed not that too bad to look at, its just that it looks underwhelming compared to their past efforts and among the competition. Practical or not, looks do sell and smartphones are very personal device. That's why aesthetics is as important as hardware specifications and features on flagship devices. Especially the fact that Lumia is an underdog and isn't selling a lot in this saturated marketplace (though still great that it manage to stay in the market, thanks Microsoft for that persistence). Lumia has to be attractive on passing potential buyers and then let their curiosity do its thing after the design meets their eye. Samsung have excuse on this (Galaxy S3 - S5) even their previous flagships looks hideous, they're too popular to miss out and they manage their Galaxy line to be a household name of smartphones other than iPhone. Acer Jade Primo is also a bad looking device (only front is bit better) and reminds me a lot of Galaxy S3, so the only attractive thing about it is the Continuum feature.

There is a high chance that the render may not that accurate and in reality it may look way better, which is why I'm willing to wait to see it for myself. I think the design will be at least Okay but personally I don't think it will reach 'wow' factor for me just like when I first saw 920, 925, 1520, 930 (though some press videos and images with black color doesn't justify to see its details) and even non-flagship 830.

950 design so far is more commonly dislike here, the back really reminds me of a lot mid-range or some of those cheap Android phones with their gaudy designs. The thick camera ring which supposed to enhance the looks just make it actually looks worse. Lastly the speaker design really ruins everything on both 950 and 950 XL. If they at least make it like from other Lumia design such as from 640 XL speaker slit-design, it would look way better (I have previous mockup posted here I guess). The front are fine, though I wish they should make the screen bit bigger, thus smaller bezels, at least it wasn't white or any brighter colors that expose sensors which looks ugly. At least they stay with black bezels which always looks better

Nokia's past flagships were truly the result of Beautiful Art and Advanced Technology coming together... Highly Functional and Beautiful, like a Sports Car...
Indeed! Though actually it wasn't all advance if we talk about specs but in terms of overall package (exception with some Lumia flagships), it was great.

For now the upcoming Lumia flagship design maybe are transitional to something better next year, I hope. Maybe there is the next Fabula 2.0 design or maybe 640 and 640 XL is the last Fabula design.

What I really hope that next year flagship, If they do read comments and forums about 950 and 950 XL design, they will try to make better design that will appeal the factions currently we have. For what I remember, this seems to be a first time the Windows Phone community are largely divided regarding the upcoming Lumia flagship design. Pretty sure that some of the people hating/disliked the design will change their minds after seeing the device in actual and this issue will subside. People that still don't like the looks I guess will just accept it regardless and some of they will buy it because of specs and features alone, not looks. So the camp of people who like it will win regardless in terms of debate.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but while those flagships listed above are $600 + not all flagships are that expensive. The day's of using lower quality materials and skimping on design to lower the price of a phone are over and done with. Companies such as Motorola, OnePlus, Xiaomi, ZTE, Hauwei, just to name a few push out phones with good if not great design, high quality materials, solid build. And are sold for around or under $400. And the have the specs to back it up. Microsoft, with as big a company as it is should have done more here. This almost feels lazy for them. I just don't understand how you can have Surface designers at your disposal and not use them at all here in your mobile flagship.
I disagree that those phones are on the same level as the major flagship models. These phones always have drawbacks that the major flagships don't. That's why people buy the major flagship phones instead of the much cheaper phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion