Disappointing glass of the Lumia 950XL.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Having had further reading in the subject, it turns out that gorilla glass 2 & 3 was designed to be more scratch resistant than gorilla glass 4, but it's weakness was that, when dropped, it was very rigid and therefore more prone to shatter.

They softened the glass slightly in gorilla glass 4 so that it was much more shatter proof, but, in turn, this meant it was more likely to get scratches.

This then answers my questions about why the nexus 6 and 1520 never picked up any scratches (after a couple of years usage) but the 950xl has after a few weeks of usage.

joethestone23

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Just got the Lumia 950 xl two days ago.

THIS PHONE IS GARBAGE. The phone is great...but the screen scratches are RIDICULOUS. I have so many scratches on my phone in TWO days...taking great care of it....in my pocket by itself and the freaking screen is covered in scratches. it's insane. Some are really deep too. This is so horrible.

Like all of you, I have had a 1520 for years with NO scratches. So mad!

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

THIS PHONE IS GARBAGE. The phone is great...but the screen scratches are RIDICULOUS. I have so many scratches on my phone in TWO days...taking great care of it....in my pocket by itself and the freaking screen is covered in scratches. it's insane. Some are really deep too. This is so horrible.

Weird, because I had a 950XL from Dec. until late June, put it in my front pocket all the time, (screen facing in, against my leg, occasionally the back pocket) and never had an issue. Had one slight scratch that was barely visible. Had to actually point it out to the guy I sold it to. No screen protector on it, nothing. Maybe a bad batch of glass?

joethestone23

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
If it's a bad batch of glass...any idea how to get a replacement :-D??

Note that I also after 3 days had scratches on the camera lens area as well. Completely absurd. So angry.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

THIS PHONE IS GARBAGE. The phone is great...but the screen scratches are RIDICULOUS.

Uh... Is there a layer of protective plastic that you forgot to remove from the phone perhaps?

LOL! Seriously. I've had my Lumia 950XL for about 10 months now and as an HVAC Tech / Mechanic it is getting dropped, dirt gets on screen which I then rub clean against my jeans or shirt and it still has zero scratches and I don't use a protector.

Paulmac0957

May 29, 2014
Visit site
For whatever it is worth, their is product called Liquid Armor sold at Staples that cost 29.99 and they apply it. It is a liquid, and I have had it on my other phones and it really does stop scratches. I can literally try to scratch the glass with a key, and nothing happens. As soon as I get my 950XL I will have it applied to the screen to protect it.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

Like all of you, I have had a 1520 for years with NO scratches. So mad!

I agree, the 950XL (and especially the 950 I own) is "GARBAGE," but not because of potentially scratchable glass; that should be the least of our concerns. Cheap construction; inefficient, overheating "pocket toaster" Qualcomm chips; poor battery life; a devastating lack of apps; and horrendously buggy software that only seems to lose features and usability over time are what make these devices so deplorable. Just my $0.02...

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
It's not keys that's scratching your screen. It's the dust and sand. Pull out your pockets and see the most bottom part of your pocket...dust and sand. Sand is SiO2 tough sob.

Always have a tempered glass on my phones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124