Microsoft abandoning tmobile? Just a thought

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I know many of us may have already forgotten the Verizon debacle or scandal where it was rumored that Microsoft was considering no longer working with Verizon as the two flagships were likely not coming. But my questions is....ia tmobile.

After all. Verizon and att both are strong partners. Sprint and tmobile are not. Verizon has had the most diverse windows phone roster where as att has had the strongest Lumia roster. Almost every model went to them first except the icon.

Meanwhile tmobiles most recent flagship os the2013 Lumia 925 and the limited edition m8 windows from last year. It's noteworthy sellers are the 520/21 and the 635 and both of those phones are long sense an after thought despite both being high sellers.

From what I read Microsoft is not considering sending them more shipment. Makes me wonder why unless they are trying to end a deal with T-Mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I wondered the same thing after I read what T-mobile did. I hope that they don't. I'm not so sure that Verizon is a strong partner, since it has been speculated that they might not have future Lumias. It makes me sad though that Microsoft isn't going to send them more 640s though. It also makes me wonder if the 640 would get the update...eventually.

We'll see but hopefully not. I thought it was kind of weird for Sprint to have one Windows phone, but T-mo is about to join those ranks :/

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it the carriers that decide what phones to buy and sell? Microsoft isn't really in the position to stop sending to a carrier unless they just aren't ordering them.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it the carriers that decide what phones to buy and sell? Microsoft isn't really in the position to stop sending to a carrier unless they just aren't ordering them.
Microsoft announced awhile back something along the lines of reconsidering their relationships with various carriers. It makes sense because why waste time and manpower for a phone especially an exclusive with a carrier who isn't going to push your product vs focusing on one that will.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wondered the same thing after I read what T-mobile did. I hope that they don't. I'm not so sure that Verizon is a strong partner, since it has been speculated that they might not have future Lumias. It makes me sad though that Microsoft isn't going to send them more 640s though. It also makes me wonder if the 640 would get the update...eventually.

We'll see but hopefully not. I thought it was kind of weird for Sprint to have one Windows phone, but T-mo is about to join those ranks :/
I made a thread in the m8 windows section because I was curious if they still get updates on the phone since it is mo longer solder by tmobile(and despite the fact it's an HTC) because this worried me now. I want to know my 640 will get updated despite it not being carried and if I stay with tmobile I want to know my flagship will.

I am really cconsidering going back home to att go phone. The same phone plan with tmobile at $50 is $5 less with att and for $5 more I can get rollover and more data. Not to mention I miss my 640 XL as my main device tbh as the 640 is so small to me.

My main reason for switching to tmobile as because I liked the company stance on the industry and also because where I live att coverage sucked without microcell which forced me to keep a contract where I can at least always use tmobile as far as wifi calling.

But I am also one to choose which carrier best supports my preferred smartphone Os

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft announced awhile back something along the lines of reconsidering their relationships with various carriers. It makes sense because why waste time and manpower for a phone especially an exclusive with a carrier who isn't going to push your product vs focusing on one that will.

While I certainly agree with Microsoft's thinking on it, but the problem that will remain is finding a sales channel that gets the phones to the general public. Right now, it through the carrier, either retail or online. General people - the ones that MS needs - aren't going to a Microsoft Store to pick a phone, at least, not enough. And don't expect people to buy their first Windows phone from the online store.

So that leaves general merchants. Would WalMart, Target, or even a Best Buy/Costco be a good place to sell them? Best Buy has leased out parts of their store to Samsung, would someone do the same for Microsoft?

There's a lot involved here, and I hope that Microsoft would be able to pull it off.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I would think Verizon wouldn't get anymore high end Lumia's. Just phones from other manufacturers high - midrange. I would think tmobile has a better chance of getting them simply because it's gsm like Microsoft number 1 carrier att. Even still the Microsoft stores sell unlocked phones. So I'm not worried about tmobile. I think Verizon and Sprint have alot more to worry about than tmo customers do imo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
While I certainly agree with Microsoft's thinking on it, but the problem that will remain is finding a sales channel that gets the phones to the general public. Right now, it through the carrier, either retail or online. General people - the ones that MS needs - aren't going to a Microsoft Store to pick a phone, at least, not enough. And don't expect people to buy their first Windows phone from the online store.

So that leaves general merchants. Would WalMart, Target, or even a Best Buy/Costco be a good place to sell them? Best Buy has leased out parts of their store to Samsung, would someone do the same for Microsoft?

There's a lot involved here, and I hope that Microsoft would be able to pull it off.

I would love to see them partner with Walmart(Virgin Mobile does that with their phones) to push products that work with say....their family mobile(Tmobile) line-up of devices. Or unlocked.....Even if its the cheaper models. After all this is Walmart.

I am sure if the price is right, Best buy would gladly partner with them.

I wished Microsoft could launch its own Wireless company personally(they do have enough cash to do so probably lol). Become an MVNO and partner with T-Mobile/Att and just sell phones that way.

I would think Verizon wouldn't get anymore high end Lumia's. Just phones from other manufacturers high - midrange. I would think tmobile has a better chance of getting them simply because it's gsm like Microsoft number 1 carrier att. Even still the Microsoft stores sell unlocked phones. So I'm not worried about tmobile. I think Verizon and Sprint have alot more to worry about than tmo customers do imo

Yeah I have been telling my friends and co-workers that I wouldn't say Verizon wont ever get another windows phone...just it may be a Lumia.

Verizon seems to love Samsung Windows Phone especially and if you noticed, LG went to Verizon and no one else. Only one Samsung WIndows Phone I believe went to Att and One went to sprint. I think Verizon has had 3(Ativ S Odyssey, Neo and SE).

I think the Odyssey also went to US Cellular.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Daniel have an article that said all flag ships would have all radio options so if you bought from MS store it would work all? Of course that means no more Jump :(

Yes, here is his quote:

"As I have previously revealed, both phones should contain universal GSM radios letting Microsoft directly sell these devices unlocked to consumers including in the US."

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I know many of us may have already forgotten the Verizon debacle or scandal where it was rumored that Microsoft was considering no longer working with Verizon as the two flagships were likely not coming. But my questions is....ia tmobile.

After all. Verizon and att both are strong partners. Sprint and tmobile are not. Verizon has had the most diverse windows phone roster where as att has had the strongest Lumia roster. Almost every model went to them first except the icon.

Meanwhile tmobiles most recent flagship os the2013 Lumia 925 and the limited edition m8 windows from last year. It's noteworthy sellers are the 520/21 and the 635 and both of those phones are long sense an after thought despite both being high sellers.

From what I read Microsoft is not considering sending them more shipment. Makes me wonder why unless they are trying to end a deal with T-Mobile.
Surely the decision not to sell them online would be T-Mobiles not Microsoft? The phones sold in Walmart are still T-Mobile brand, therefore Microsoft would still need to ship them phones unless they're going to be pulled as well? I can't see Microsoft telling them not to bother with online sales but carry on with the prepaid, if they didn't want to foster a relationship with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile do have a history of not selling flagship windows devices, and since the upcoming phones are flagships, I wonder if the 640 will be T-Mobile's Windows Phone Swan Song.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that my two ventures into Windows phone, were both followed by significant events. After I bought the Lumia 521, Microsoft decided to buy Nokia which didn't seem to improve things. This time I bought the Lumia 640, thinking that they finally got it right and Microsoft then gets rid of Nokia!

Maybe I should stop buying Windows Phones and ruining for the rest of you? LOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But I am also one to choose which carrier best supports my preferred smartphone Os

Only WP fans face this problem. iOS, Android, and even BlackBerry are supported universally.

I can see why someone would choose a carrier based on their phone lineup if the carriers have good service where they live, but it sounds like you have only one good option. What good is the phone you want if it doesn't work well? As long as you can buy an unlocked WP, you're good with T-Mobile even if they don't officially support WP.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that my two ventures into Windows phone, were both followed by significant events. After I bought the Lumia 521, Microsoft decided to buy Nokia which didn't seem to improve things. This time I bought the Lumia 640, thinking that they finally got it right and Microsoft then gets rid of Nokia!

Maybe I should stop buying Windows Phones and ruining for the rest of you? LOL
Haha, if this is the case, I am also guilty.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
MS will still support carriers, but only if they want our phones, if they don't MS won't push for it and will bring the phones onto the market on their own (that's what I understood anyways) xd

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The Lumia 810, HTC M8 and Lumia 640 should tell anyone what they need to know about Tmo, support and updates. For anyone clued up its really a false economy to buy a carrier branded phone, eventually just leads to problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss