M8 owners a question for ya (tmobile)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ignoring the fact that this is an HTC phone and not a Lumia, how are updates with your phones? Has it gotten all the updates the att and Verizon versions have gotten?

I ask because I am a tmobile customer with the Lumia 640 as I was hoping to get the Lumia flagship though tmobile. But I also know they stopped selling the m8 soon after and now the 640. We know how they treated the Lumia 810 with zero updates for future upgrades. So I am curious to know does tmobile still support the m8.

I know the 640 had to at least sell more than the m8 seeing as the m8 never showed up on any stats despite being available nearly a year on three carriers vs the 640 has so i am hoping they would.

But I am also considering jumping ship back to att because I am more familiar with them, they usually get the best flagships and the 830 aside they are awesome with updates compared to the others and I miss my 640 XL.

But I am curious about how T-Mobile has treated the EOL m8 after no longer selling it. Makes me worried about any future windows phones.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the Tmo M8 Windows version ... they EOL'd that one after 4 months I believe. Verizon and AT&T M8 Windows phones have received Update 2 PLUS they still sell them ... no Update 2 for Tmo M8's ... and if the M8's are to receive update to Windows mobile 10 I doubt Tmo will pass it along ... I may be wrong. Anyway, I've decided not to buy any more carrier locked Windows phones because of all this.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the Tmo M8 Windows version ... they EOL'd that one after 4 months I believe. Verizon and AT&T M8 Windows phones have received Update 2 PLUS they still sell them ... no Update 2 for Tmo M8's ... and if the M8's are to receive update to Windows mobile 10 I doubt Tmo will pass it along ... I may be wrong. Anyway, I've decided not to buy any more carrier locked Windows phones because of all this.

That's what I worry about really to be honest. I have a 640 and it is not meant to be a lognterm thing, simply a stop gap till the flagships and I had planned to jump onto one of their flagships.....but like you said...your phone has stopped being sold and they have yet to push the most recent update along(Granted, I have Update 2 on my 640 and I honestly don't see much difference in anything besides the settings)

Unlocked phones definitely are the way to go...I am spoiled by the fact my 640 XL is carrier unlocked. My only complaint is justifying spending $700 for a smartphone. Not so much because of the cost but it is like "Jeez, I must be crazy haha." but also because a T-Mobile customer such as myself(if I decide to stay with them) is left without Carrier sponsored things such as Wifi calling.

I think Windows 10 mobile may be getting it but that's one thing that keeps me with Carrier locked phones...is the fact of carrier specific features.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys I would not worry as the Insider Program is akin to what Apple is able to do. You don't have to wait weeks and months for carrier testing before you get an update. Everyone gets the update at the same time regardless of device(*some may be excluded at for a limited time). My advice is to wait until the Insider Program is very stable or basically the RTM version and then opt in get the update and you can un-enroll if you so choose. Microsoft is doing a good thing here.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Also for anyone on T-Mobile, I recommend the Jump On Demand plan which is basically a lease to own or upgrade plan with up to three upgrades in a year. Unlike with the old Jump plan you no longer have to pay half the cost of the device off before you can upgrade. This way you are never really tied down to an expensive phone you don't want. Plus you could always upgrade to a cheap phone and leave if you want since you will have paid the cost of the cheap phone you just upgraded to. It really puts the power in the hands of the consumer if you ask me and is a huge reason why I'll stick around with T-Mobile.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I must be crazy haha." but also because a T-Mobile customer such as myself(if I decide to stay with them) is left without Carrier sponsored things such as Wifi calling.

I think Windows 10 mobile may be getting it but that's one thing that keeps me with Carrier locked phones...is the fact of carrier specific features.

I know that many TMO customers need Wi-Fi calling and that is a feature that would be missing on carrier-free phone. Also TMO's HD Voice wouldn't be on a carrier-free device. This feature is really nice especially when calling someone else who has a TMO device -- outstanding clarity, like they're right next to you -- and you're in a recording studio ... kinda.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I know that many TMO customers need Wi-Fi calling and that is a feature that would be missing on carrier-free phone. Also TMO's HD Voice wouldn't be on a carrier-free device. This feature is really nice especially when calling someone else who has a TMO device -- outstanding clarity, like they're right next to you -- and you're in a recording studio ... kinda.

Of course if they don't get the 950 XL I will kindly be leaving them anyway because I want the XL and knowing tmobile....they will get the cheaper of the 2.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I hate to say it, and this is dragging this way off topic for the M8 forum, but I think we've seen the last of the OEM Windows Phones going to T-Mobile. I think they will keep the cheaper 5xx and 6xx phones around for those that need a sub $100 phone experience, but that's it. I have a sneaky feeling that the carriers might be done trying to stock Windows Phone devices all together. I know that sounds dumb, but honestly, they haven't done well at all. When you look at quarterly numbers and see 10 million Windows Phones selling against 10 million iPhones in one weekend and 50 million Android devices between the launch of the S6/S6 Edge/G4 launch weekends, it just doesn't look good for the future.

I know as a Windows Phone fan I am really pulling for them to get out of the rut, but it just doesn't look like it is going to be happening. Microsoft is even hedging their bets by making both Windows 10 and their services more compatible with Android and iOS. I think with the loss of carrier support WIndows Phone is done. I think the only thing that will save it going forward is if they abandon the mobile platform and put a full version of Windows on a phone. That's just my two cents though...

Now back to the program - yes get the M8 in the T-Mo flavor and install the preview. The crap-apps will still be there when you reinstall and all the functions of Win10 will be there later for you.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Micah,

I have the M8 and my wife has the Lumia 640. The 640 is very nice!

The AT&T and VZW M8's have received update 2. The T-Mobile version has not received update 2. Given T-Mobile's track record with the Lumia 810 and others, I'm certain T-Mobile is not pushing/allowing the update. When T-Mobile released the M8 last December, it was unclear if the device had wi-fi calling. It turns out is does not. In their support forum and on Twitter, T-Mobile promised an update in early 2015 that would provide wi-fi calling. They have yet to deliver on that promise.

While I am VERY disappointed with T-Mobile, I do believe the T-Mobile M8 will get Windows 10 Mobile. From there, OS updates will no longer be in TMO's hands. HTC has already committed to bringing the Windows 10 mobile to the M8. The box that my M8 came in clearly says the device falls under the HTC Advantage program, which promised updates for two years. If they never deliver an update, they would open themselves up to a class action lawsuit. (even if the class is small.)

You're probably right about the Lumia 640 outselling the M8, but only due to Walmart and Frys. (I got my wife's TMO-branded 640 for $69.99 at frys.com). I am also concerned about the future of ANY Windows phone on TMO; they set it up to fail (priced too high, only available online) and they cancel it because it doesn't sell. Way to go TMO! :eck:

Honestly, while I NEVER thought I would say this, I am strongly considering an iphone for my next device. I've been with TMO and Windows for years, with my first smartphone being the Wing. From there I went to the TouchPro2 --> HD7 --> Lumia 810 --> M8. Now that the critical MS apps that I need are available on other platforms, there's less reason for me to stay. I will see what happens this fall with Apple and Microsoft. I really want NFC payment. I am jump eligible in November.

SCXR

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Also for anyone on T-Mobile, I recommend the Jump On Demand plan which is basically a lease to own or upgrade plan with up to three upgrades in a year. Unlike with the old Jump plan you no longer have to pay half the cost of the device off before you can upgrade. This way you are never really tied down to an expensive phone you don't want. Plus you could always upgrade to a cheap phone and leave if you want since you will have paid the cost of the cheap phone you just upgraded to. It really puts the power in the hands of the consumer if you ask me and is a huge reason why I'll stick around with T-Mobile.

They limit which phones you can jump to with this progrm. HTC isn't on their list. You're limited to Apple, Samsung, and the LG G4.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
They limit which phones you can jump to with this progrm. HTC isn't on their list. You're limited to Apple, Samsung, and the LG G4.

You are definitely wrong on that. Unless it is the fine print, there is no limit on which phone you can switch to. That would defeat the purpose of having the freedom to switch three times a year.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Can't find that anywhere.
uploadfromtaptalk1442776048039.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442776056736.jpg

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckMcScrooge