Why the huge difference in 950 & XL cameras on both models?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So looking at both leaked pics side by side you can clearly see the XL has a huge difference in terms of the size of the rear camera. The size of the housing in almost 2-3x larger but to my understanding they both sport 20mp cameras with the exception of the XL's triple LED flash.

Is this really why it's so much bigger? It looks closest to the style of 830's camera but it's huge in comparison to the non-XL.

Any thoughts?

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
The silver ring around the Lumia 940(Talkman) is too much thicker and ugly in comparison to that of Lumia 940(XL),somewhat resembling camera rings of Moto and Nexus devices and the camera module is smaller in Lumia 940.

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The silver ring around the Lumia 940(Talkman) is too much thicker and ugly in comparison to that of Lumia 940(XL),somewhat resembling camera rings of Moto and Nexus devices and the camera module is smaller in Lumia 940.

I don't he think he asking how pretty (or not) it is, this is about function.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it is just a design choice, but as i keep saying, the interesting part is why do they list the 1mm silver ring as a feature on the 950XL.

I thought of a lot of functional things but really didn't reach a realistic functions, maybe they will be developing lenses to it? maybe something for the covers, maybe something related to continuum? i don't know. It makes no sense to list it as one of the features, this has never been done.

then you add to it, the fact that the XL has a different button arrangement is also something to consider. from a manufacturing point of view, the more consistent the better, why do such design change if there is no real function behind it?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would think its a design choice.

Hey, there could be differences though, I'm pretty sure the iPhone 6+'s camera has OIS over the normal 6.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Until released, hard to guess. Could just be styling, but on 640, XL had a better camera. More space gives more options.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
To be clear here ... what you see outside is not the lens, its the lens cover (the fancy ring and transparent circular stuff) and not the housing....
the housing of the lens is on the pcb..
the actual lens assembly lies underneath the lens cover (the tiny blob).

attachment.php

I totally agree with the people who said "I would think its a design choice". Design in the sense external design. (looks of the phone)
It has nothing to do with the internals.

Now coming to the sensor size ....
Bigger the sensor better the quality. (Greater the megapixels, greater the quality is false).
Megapixels cramped into a small sensor is useless.
So it all comes down to sensor size.

Yes a 10MP on 1/2" is better than 10MP on 1/3"
To accommodate a bigger sensor and a bigger lens assembly you have camera-humps visible in most of the smart phones.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think it is just a design choice, but as i keep saying, the interesting part is why do they list the 1mm silver ring as a feature on the 950XL.

I thought of a lot of functional things but really didn't reach a realistic functions, maybe they will be developing lenses to it? maybe something for the covers, maybe something related to continuum? i don't know. It makes no sense to list it as one of the features, this has never been done.

then you add to it, the fact that the XL has a different button arrangement is also something to consider. from a manufacturing point of view, the more consistent the better, why do such design change if there is no real function behind it?

I don't think it's really listed as a "feature", since specs haven't officially been released. I think it's just more of a differentiating factor between the two phones that blogs/articles are adding.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there are camera differences, just doing by the apparent size. The button configuration is intriguing too.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's really listed as a "feature", since specs haven't officially been released. I think it's just more of a differentiating factor between the two phones that blogs/articles are adding.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there are Canberra differences, just doing by the apparent size. The button configuration is intriguing too.

Excuse me for the use of the word "feature", i meant specification, but sense English is not my first language, sometimes words get mixed up when i am writing.

any how, i agree with you, could be just a differentiating factor.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Excuse me for the use of the word "feature", i meant specification, but sense English is not my first language, sometimes words get mixed up when i am writing.

any how, i agree with you, could be just a differentiating factor.

No problem, at least you didn't type "Canberra" instead of "camera" like I did. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes