why windows 10 is losing me

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I came to windows mobile the first time, it was a palm treo 750w, and the OS was windows CE 6.5. it had a stylus, and a keyboard, and could have been really good. What i didn't like about this was I was paying for a smartphone that hooked into my work email and calendar, and thus was effectively paying to work. No regular person sat down with it and imagined that the user was going to use it for there regular day activities, not just for work. Since I didn't want to pay to work, and it really didn't do anything to add value to my life, i switched back to a dumbphone.

then I got an iphone 3g. this was so much better. yes, i could be connected to work if i wanted to, but i could also do so much more with it. maps? no problem. camera? sweet. yeah, i had to deal with itunes, but i could handle that. one thing i didn't like is it always showed the weather as 72. those icons never switched. that felt wrong. like there should be someway to switch it without going into the app.

then, windows phone came out. they through a bunch of support towards just regular consumer life things. whoever was there, realized that a phone is in your pocket for more then just the 8 hours of work a day, and should actually be more of person's phone, and not a "productivity device". I could map my rides still, i could take pictures still. the nokia acquisition made all of this even better, with some of the best camera's and mapping solutions out there, while making a beautiful piece of hardware. I really wish the lumia 925 was just updated with the new 810 processor, while keeping it down to it's very reasonable 135 grams. it was just a great, beautiful phone.

now, microsoft is trying to show focus on "productivity" again. while i like being productive, being on vacation is not all about efficiency and work productivity. and you shouldn't have to say your device is productive. it just is productive. Microsoft should just show what it does, and not reinforce that this is something that corporations should be buying is droves and IT should buy because it's great for accessing their server stuff. All of this stuff might be great, but it sure as hell doesn't do anything to make me want to buy another phone from them. again, this phone sits in my pocket for much longer then what a work day is, and I don't need to be reminded that i could be working on my off time.

I've been using windows 10, and I do believe it's better in some respects to windows 8. but I worry that since the market share has been dropping, developers are going to stop caring. furthering my concern about windows becoming just a "productivity device" only, they've been taking away some of the fun apps. I may be the only person that used lumia storyteller, but damn, that was a great app! if you travel, and you wanted to convey a story about your travels with the photos, that was awesome! and they just sort of let it die. they had this great opportunity to make a fun social app, or get someone to integrate it into another service, but its gone. kaput.

I'm going to wait and see. my lumia 830 still has glance and a camera button. until I see iphone have those things, I'm not going to switch. either that, or enough things that i like about windows phone dies that i'm just left with something that makes the phone another corporate extension into my personal life.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
now, microsoft is trying to show focus on "productivity" again. while i like being productive, being on vacation is not all about efficiency and work productivity. and you shouldn't have to say your device is productive. it just is productive. Microsoft should just show what it does, and not reinforce that this is something that corporations should be buying is droves and IT should buy because it's great for accessing their server stuff.

Might just be me, but I think one of the reasons why MS is doing this, to improve their chances of getting those people on board :) Let's face it, if you have an entire corporation buying your phone and paying for the support, it's a win win situation. Another reason (again my opinion) is that tech journalists (or just simply bloggers) haven't been very "open" to windows phones and that makes it hard to find a honest review. With iOS you can simply drop the name, without demonstrating the power and people will buy into it, but MS doesn't have that kind of brand power yet when it comes to phones. They do have it with the Surface line, but not with the phones..

While some apps aren't available to those on w10 (for now) I have noticed a few official apps coming over. We aren't getting a lot, but we are getting maybe one new official app a day? or every two days? Some are already running their favorite android apps using Astoria, so as far as apps are concerned, we seem to be, at least, heading in the right direction :D

Or maybe im being too optimistic heheh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes