The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-09-2015 02:08 PM
115 12345
tools
    I use an adapter in the Moto E without any problems.
    Thanks guys! I guess the last question then is what phone is a better upgrade for my Lumia 928? The Lumia Icon or Samsung ATIV SE? Both phones are similar and each have their ups and downs.
    10-15-2015 12:19 PM
    Yes, I walked in to the Microsoft Store with my 928, which had a problem. They didn't sell it anymore, so they handed me an Icon. So I would say good service.
    10-15-2015 02:24 PM
    Let's just assume we're not getting the Lumia 950/950XL ever. What do you guys plan to do next?

• Who's willing to switch carriers for the new Lumias?
    • Who's going to hold out for new WP on Verizon through future Lumia or OEM?
    • Who's leaving WP altogether? If you are leaving WP, what phone do you plan to get in the future?

Just asking cause I'm trying to decide what I'm gonna do.
    Honest answer, speak with your money, go to AT&T. VZ has made it clear they do not want us.
    theefman likes this.
    10-15-2015 02:34 PM
    This is a tough one.

I'm on a family plan with Verizon. They have been our carrier since what, the 90's? We have 6 lines on a family plan, currently paying about $300 per month total. I know that nobody else on my plan is going to be switching, so if I switch to AT&T for my line, I will be footing a ~$260 bill from Verizon and about $80 per month from AT&T (factoring in the cost of a 950/XL at about $25 per month).

Plus I love Verizon's coverage, never really had a problem with it, even when traveling in the U.S. AT&T should be close to as good for me here in Southern California, but I have seen co-workers dropping more calls than I do.

And I also can't seem to convince myself to get the Note 5 just yet. Brother has a Note 4, and while it is great hardware, I just know that I won't be as satisfied with the OS as a whole. Looks too...cartoonish? Bubbly?

I'm lost.
    10-15-2015 07:12 PM
    Me and my family will be leaving Verizon and I will voice my opinion to them as such... They are just A-holes...
    theefman likes this.
    10-15-2015 11:16 PM
    My family phone contracts have ended with Verizon, long ago and we have been waiting for new Windows Phones. Since Verizon isn't announcing support for Windows Phone, my family and I are checking out the coverage of other carriers.
    Verizon hasn't served it's MS customers well at all. I wonder how their service for Blackberry compares?

We will be buying Windows Phones.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 10-15-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    libra89 and theefman like this.
    10-15-2015 11:25 PM
    Been with Verizon ever since I got my first smart phone, the HTC Imagio, and still continue to stay with them. Even though their customer service sucks, their windows phone lineup is anemic at best, and their "we wont miss ya if you leave" attitude really pisses me off, I still like the fact that connection, data speed, and replacing damaged phones is better than anyone else. I can live with my M8 Windows for now, and have complained on a regular basis about their lack of phones.

Will I leave Verizon, no. will I leave windows phone, no, will I wait, yes. I believe waiting is worth it. Worse case, I keep the M8 till death does it part!
    10-16-2015 11:10 AM
    Been with Verizon ever since I got my first smart phone, the HTC Imagio, and still continue to stay with them. Even though their customer service sucks, their windows phone lineup is anemic at best, and their "we wont miss ya if you leave" attitude really pisses me off, I still like the fact that connection, data speed, and replacing damaged phones is better than anyone else. I can live with my M8 Windows for now, and have complained on a regular basis about their lack of phones.

Will I leave Verizon, no. will I leave windows phone, no, will I wait, yes. I believe waiting is worth it. Worse case, I keep the M8 till death does it part!
    How is the M8 actually? I've been thinking of a small upgrade form my 928 but I can't decide what phone to upgrade to. The M8 does look very nice to me, but the one thing that discourages me from jumping on it is the camera. It's got a pretty low megapixel count from what I've researched.
    10-16-2015 12:17 PM
    I have the M8 and I hate it. Battery life is horrible, proximity sensor is horrible and I constantly dial people when on phone.
    10-16-2015 05:03 PM
    Can't switch here as my phone service is provided by my work and I can't fit two phones in my pockets. I am still enjoying my Ativ SE, and am waiting for the RTM build to hack w10 onto it. I hate the camera, and desperately want glance back though so hopefully we get an upgraded 950/xl or Surface Phone sometime next year.
    10-16-2015 07:40 PM
    Special VZ version of the 950 and XL? Leave for ATT. Don't trust VZ enough long term given what's happened, to be buying special versions anymore.
    No 950 or XL on VZ at all? Leave for ATT. I have a lot of family in several parts of the country who are quite satisfied with their product. If anything I've been the holdout and flag bearer for VZ up till now. When no 1520 VZ version materialized and the Icon got next to no shelf life I think we all should have seen the writing on the wall. Many coworkers (we can choose either carrier at work) have ATT and have zero issues. International travelling is easier with GSM. And further, VZ is likely to face some turbulence as they phase out CDMA. That is highly likely to downgrade their level of wide availability, although they are desperately working to avoid it while still upgrading the services and network to more advanced universal technologies. The 950/XL were already made with Qi wireless so ATT which hates that tech has already made a compromise. VZ should also compromise and use the same model, just with their logo. It is no different than Apple or Samsung. Since VZ has failed to do this on behalf of their customers who use Windows phone, then it's clear they will be more satisfied if I utilize another carrier. Remember how they failed to deliver a WP update because it fouled up VZ Navigator? VZ is stuck in the 1990's, in technology and in how they plan to market their stuff. I should have moved a year ago when I saw the signs. Enough is enough.
    10-18-2015 09:53 AM
    As painful and freeing as it is going to be i have made the choice to leave VZW for AT&T. I just chatted with an AT&T rep on their website and asked every question i could think of. I will be looking at 45$/month (~49$ with taxes) for 1.5GB data and unlimited talk/text. I have unlimited now but only use 1-2gb a month. So i think i can work with it and use WiFi when possible. Also i wont have to deal with a contract and just go month to month. AT&T has similar coverage where i am in CT i think so that should be fine.

I am on a family plan so i think i could just be dropped from the family plan while still keeping the contract and just paying my own separate AT&T bill.

I am going to wait until the 950 and 950XL is officially released though, no reason to do it now.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-18-2015 03:40 PM
    Unfortunately I can't leave Verizon because im on a business line. So all I can do is just upgrade to a Lumia Icon or something similar and wait for Verizon to hopefully change their minds in the future.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    10-18-2015 03:53 PM
    10-18-2015 03:57 PM
    Is cricket a better choice than AT&T? I hear it is cheaper but will both phones work and how is the coverage? I am in the northeast united states, Connecticut.
    10-19-2015 09:34 AM
    I am looking for any alternative to Verizon right now that will work with both the 950 and 950XL. I think AT&T is a decent choice but am open to any alternatives.
    10-19-2015 09:35 AM
    Is cricket a better choice than AT&T? I hear it is cheaper but will both phones work and how is the coverage? I am in the northeast united states, Connecticut.
    Coverage is the same as AT&T. Same network. Should work. Cricket typically throttles data and disables Hotspot to be cheaper than AT&T.
    10-19-2015 10:49 AM
    Coverage is the same as AT&T. Same network. Should work. Cricket typically throttles data and disables Hotspot to be cheaper than AT&T.
    Actually coverage isn't quite the same, AT&T does have some roaming agreements that don't extend to cricket. You should always check their coverage map, but it's mostly west of the Mississippi. LTE is capped at 8Mbps and HSPA at 4Mbps.
    10-19-2015 10:59 AM
    Actually coverage isn't quite the same, AT&T does have some roaming agreements that don't extend to cricket. You should always check their coverage map, but it's mostly west of the Mississippi. LTE is capped at 8Mbps and HSPA at 4Mbps.
    For someone who does not play games much on their smartphone and does not watch much video on it either, is there any reason that 8Mbps LTE and 4 Mbps HSPA should not be more than sufficient?
    10-19-2015 01:59 PM
    For someone who does not play games much on their smartphone and does not watch much video on it either, is there any reason that 8Mbps LTE and 4 Mbps HSPA should not be more than sufficient?
    I'm coming up on two months with Cricket in the Boston area. I see no difference than prior with AT&T, except halving my bill. I am on WiFi most of the time and never use the phone to watch real movies and limited gaming in WiFi. Streaming music, using metrotube occasionally, Edge browser, mail and OneDrive, all as fast on data as WiFi or before with AT&T. No baked in visual voice mail (for unlocked BYOD, Cricket Lumias with VVM will work, per Cricket's site) is the only caveat, and the MMS APN must be setup manually whenever hard resetting the phone and initial SIM transfer.
    Tyrion L and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-19-2015 02:26 PM
    I'm coming up on two months with Cricket in the Boston area. I see no difference than prior with AT&T, except halving my bill. I am on WiFi most of the time and never use the phone to watch real movies and limited gaming in WiFi. Streaming music, using metrotube occasionally, Edge browser, mail and OneDrive, all as fast on data as WiFi or before with AT&T. No baked in visual voice mail (for unlocked BYOD, Cricket Lumias with VVM will work, per Cricket's site) is the only caveat, and the MMS APN must be setup manually whenever hard resetting the phone and initial SIM transfer.
    Thanks for your reply. That is very helpful.

On the Visual Voice Mail, how do you access voice mail then using Cricket as your service provider? Do you have to call into your voice mail box and listen to it? I prefer having the voice mails sent to my phone and then being able to click on them and listen, which I believe is the VVM function you are referring to.
    920Walker and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-19-2015 03:07 PM
    Thanks for your reply. That is very helpful.

On the Visual Voice Mail, how do you access voice mail then using Cricket as your service provider? Do you have to call into your voice mail box and listen to it? I prefer having the voice mails sent to my phone and then being able to click on them and listen, which I believe is the VVM function you are referring to.
    Yes, the voicemail VHS tape sort of looking button still exists on the Phone app and pressing it calls your voicemail where the phone dialer pad is needed to enter a pin number, then forced to listen to the time and date stamp details, call number details and finally the message. Supposedly there are Visual voicemail apps that work with email. Info can be found on this site searching Cricket voicemail, but I've yet to try such apps or services. I'm weary of using a 3rd party for voicemail is all but will eventually try it out as after only two months the old school voicemail way is not much fun.
    Tyrion L and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-19-2015 03:23 PM
    On Android cricket does vvm with a separate app you can get from the play store, for the life of me I have no idea why they can't do that for windows phone.
    10-19-2015 03:47 PM
    I went to the Microsoft Store the other day and they were selling the Icon for $249 unlocked and 735 for $199 unlocked. I was surprised because back in June when my 928 crapped out, they said they stopped selling the Icon and only had the HTC One M8 available as a replacement (I had Microsoft Assure).

Anyway, right now I'm going to wait and see when the 950XL officially releases and decide whether to go to T-Mobile or buy an Icon outright.
    10-19-2015 03:50 PM
    I'll be sticking with Verizon... entirely because of the good coverage in my area. Of course I'll be on the Windows Phone / Mobile platform for as long as they carry a supported model. Here's hoping the 950 XL indeed is supported on Verizon's network even though many are saying it isn't, and rumors are that Verizon isn't granting permission of the device IDs to run on their network (yet) either.

The bands of the Lumia 735 pretty much match those listed for the Lumia 950 XL, so me thinks it will run fine... so long as Verizon enters the device IDs into their system.

I would go with the Jade Primo if that shows up on Verizon's network too. That package apparently ships with a dock thing for Continuum support alongside a Bluetooth mouse / keyboard. But release date is sometime next year...

So much promise, yet so many barriers that Microsoft has to cross here...
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-19-2015 08:54 PM
115 12345