Television Access - Direct TV?

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So apologies if this has been discussed or has been posted. Mods if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

Im on a Nokia 1520. Is there ANY WAY to watch Direct TV on this device? The Direct TV app is a joke and does absolutely nothing. Itd be nice to be able to access just the DVR at the very least. I thought Xbox was going to bring this ability to us but apparently they won't because of HDCP I think?

Im running Windows 10 on the device. I do have Plex installed.

Im getting rather disappointed with the apps from the Windows Store. I keep being told that the App Store is going to get better now that Microsoft is opening the doors up to Google Developers to port their code over but Ive yet to seen anything happen on this front. Microsoft has about a Month left before Im going to Apples cruel world.

... And go.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Direct TV app is a joke and does absolutely nothing.

It's saved my bacon a couple of times when I was traveling and had forgotten to record something. I've set up recording on my DVR from hundreds of miles away from home. That's something.

Direct TV is practically impossible to transfer out of the box... So yeah. It's not the App. It's not the Windows Mobile platform. It's DTV.

What do you want to stream? Sports? HBO? You gotta subscribe or enroll in things like HBO GO, NFL Now, etc.

BTW this is more of a General Windows Phone thing despite you having a 1520 so I'll just move it to a new forum.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
It's saved my bacon a couple of times when I was traveling and had forgotten to record something. I've set up recording on my DVR from hundreds of miles away from home. That's something.

Direct TV is practically impossible to transfer out of the box... So yeah. It's not the App. It's not the Windows Mobile platform. It's DTV.

What do you want to stream? Sports? HBO? You gotta subscribe or enroll in things like HBO GO, NFL Now, etc.

BTW this is more of a General Windows Phone thing despite you having a 1520 so I'll just move it to a new forum.

Thank you for the move. And yes while I do agree you can schedule DVR Recordings and such, but I hate to say this compared to Android or Apple of which you can watch DVR and Live Television from it lacks a TON!!! To add to your point about Subscriber Services you are correct you can download individual apps. But who wants to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket. I just want to watch my recorded shows?

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
A slingbox is the only current way to have full control of the box remotely on Windows phone, sucks I know.

The other app I have a problem with is Facebook.. Holy behind the times we are.. Android Apple get their updates like atleast once a month. When is the last time FB was updated for WP? I got around Instagram by using 6Tag but I think FB you are kind of tied to the FB app unless you use the Web.

Ive heard Slingbox is the way to go on Direct TV, I may just have to wait until our contract with DTV expires and get DishNetwork which includes Slingbox I really didn't want to have to buy $150.00 piece of hardware to add for my phone.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The fb app is going universal, I can't see any further development of the current version going forward. Version 10 was slammed pretty hard too so here's hoping they get their act together.

Slingbox was great five years ago, no one should need one now. Depressing isn't it? Even if you bought the hardware and apps you are very much at the mercy of isp's for it's spotty performance. Mines been in a closet for a year now

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The fb app is going universal, I can't see any further development of the current version going forward. Version 10 was slammed pretty hard too so here's hoping they get their act together.

Slingbox was great five years ago, no one should need one now. Depressing isn't it? Even if you bought the hardware and apps you are very much at the mercy of isp's for it's spotty performance. Mines been in a closet for a year now

Facebook Universal? How so ? Via the browser? I dunno I still see the App going different ways.. Too many different phone manufacturers wanting to do different things.

As for Slingbox I agree. It is old school but I just want to watch TV in my office from my phone. I have a 6" Screen thats one of the reasons why I got a larger screen was to limit my need for a tablet. And I agree Watching Television over the WAN isn't a good idea youd get choppy at best and as I understand it Slingbox doesn't compress ANY traffic.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
When I say universal, I mean a universal windows 10 app where its the same app on any windows 10 device.

Ah Okay that makes more sense - However The app isn't the same? Ive downloaded the App on my PC for 10 and its not the same as the Mobile platform?

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Not currently, the only thing the same is that they both suck. I'm not running Windows 10 on my daily phone so I've not spent any time with the latest app updates, I tend to do it on the weekends if I've nothing better to do.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Not currently, the only thing the same is that they both suck. I'm not running Windows 10 on my daily phone so I've not spent any time with the latest app updates, I tend to do it on the weekends if I've nothing better to do.

I did Windows 10 when it first came out on my primary phone and it was terrible.. I had to go back to 8.1. Im on 10 now and its stable but still a little buggy. Def a lot more functionality. A little sluggish though too had a ways to go... From what I understand 1 more month until it goes full speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes