Talk me out of bailing on Windows Phone for Android

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been torn for weeks about whether or not to buy the unlocked 950 or 950 XL and maintain the hope that W10M and the App bridges save windows phone. But the lack of apps, the somewhat lackluster hardware of the 950/950 XL, has me seriously considering an S6 Edge plus or LG V10.

My 920 going on it's 3rd year is having battery issues, the ear piece is now vibrating when taking calls on the phone, and the OS is just slowing to a screeching halt. If I see "Resuming" again, I might scream.

I haven't read enough positive reviews of the 950/950 XL to make the purchase, and while my past experience with Android makes me aware of the realities, I am still highly considering it. The Verizon thing is a whole additional issue, as I would like to switch to a work Verizon account due to coverage.

It seems like the band 2 and Cortana will work fine with Android, so that doesn't seem to be a deal breaker keeping me tied to WP.

Has anyone made this transition? Do you regret it, despite android solving the "app gap"? Any thoughts appreciated!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Phone Wars @ WindowsCentral.

We realized the community needs a place to openly discuss and debate key topics and doing so in forum/device specific areas isn't always a good time and place, often disrupting the threads original intent.

Like the rest of the forums we expect everyone to follow our Community Rules & Guidelines. We understand due to the nature of open debates & discussion it can get heated from time to time. The Moderation team will practice SOME leniency but it's NOT a green light to disregard the rules and have poor etiquette.

Give each member the respect they deserve and this can be a wonderful place to hash out and debate the latest devices, hardware, software, UI's and how they match up against each other.

New threads can only be created by our Moderators or Ambassadors in the Phone Wars forum. If you have a suggestion for a new phone wars thread, please contact myself directly via PM or any one of the Moderators on staff. This policy has been enacted to keep the Phone Wars forum a place where members may discuss different devices, hardware, software and platforms while maintaining a friendly and polite manner.

Words of advice: If there is a post that you feel needs Moderator attention please REPORT the post, ignore it and continue onward with the thread topic at hand. Responding to a post in question is never a good idea! Let the Mod team handle it

Thank you,

The WindowsCentral Moderation Team.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been torn for weeks about whether or not to buy the unlocked 950 or 950 XL and maintain the hope that W10M and the App bridges save windows phone. But the lack of apps, the somewhat lackluster hardware of the 950/950 XL, has me seriously considering an S6 Edge plus or LG V10.
I've never considered the S6 Edge Plus or or LGV10, but I have an Android device (Moto X Pure Edition).

My 920 going on it's 3rd year is having battery issues, the ear piece is now vibrating when taking calls on the phone, and the OS is just slowing to a screeching halt. If I see "Resuming" again, I might scream.
I had no issues with the earpiece, but the battery and "resuming" did make my 920 practically unusable.

I haven't read enough positive reviews of the 950/950 XL to make the purchase, and while my past experience with Android makes me aware of the realities, I am still highly considering it. The Verizon thing is a whole additional issue, as I would like to switch to a work Verizon account due to coverage.

It seems like the band 2 and Cortana will work fine with Android, so that doesn't seem to be a deal breaker keeping me tied to WP.

Has anyone made this transition? Do you regret it, despite android solving the "app gap"? Any thoughts appreciated!
I can't help with Verizon, since I use AT&T. I also do not own a Band 2 and don't use Cortana. I do use Google Now.

My experience has been painless. I had no issues with Android on an older device (2013 Moto X), and I started a thread here on AndroidCentral. I used the 2013 Moto X for 7 months and updated it from KitKat to Lollipop with no factory resets and did not experience any lag. I use Microsoft apps on my Android devices, and my experience has been that they work better on Android than on Windows Phone 8.1/Windows 10 Mobile.

Which Android devices have you used in the past?

Personally, I'm not fond of Samsung, since I dislike TouchWiz and all the preinstalled bloatware that carrier-branded Samsung devices have.

I haven't tried the LG V10, so I cannot offer any opinion of it.

Personally, I prefer stock Android. I have no carrier bloatware on my current Moto X Pure Edition, since it is sold unlocked and unbranded. I do like the Moto apps, especially Moto Display, since it is very similar to Glance.

Hopefully, others will chime in about the LG V10.

I would definitely reconsider Windows 10 Mobile in the future if the OS becomes more stable and mature and the app gap is lessened, especially apps for banking and major retailers (mainly Starbucks) and Amazon (Prime Music/Prime Video) and a mobile payment solution. I don't dislike Windows 10 Mobile at all in terms of the UI; it is this bugs such as "resuming/loading" and the lack of certain apps that makes it unsuitable for me at this time. I actually love the Live Tiles and never found them to be confusing.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I've also got a 920 and I still use it as a backup device but I've got issues with its charging port not working now. I think it's time to move on to a different phone but honestly no matter what we advise you here you will have to make up your own mind. From your post it seems that you'd like a change and you've seriously looked into Android enough to know that there aren't any deal breakers to keep you on Windows Mobile at this point.

Personally I think it's up to you how much you're still into Windows Mobile. We all know that the 950 and XL are basically phones for the fans at this point, and you can make them look a bit more premium with the mozo cases, but they're perfect if you're still invested in Windows Mobile as a platform and they have some differentiators. If you're not that much into Windows Mobile anymore and you just want a change then by all means treat yourself to a new phone like the S6 that feels premium instantly and is a nice change of pace for you.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make. Hope to see you around the boards here more. :)

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've also got a 920 and I still use it as a backup device but I've got issues with its charging port not working now. I think it's time to move on to a different phone but honestly no matter what we advise you here you will have to make up your own mind. From your post it seems that you'd like a change and you've seriously looked into Android enough to know that there aren't any deal breakers to keep you on Windows Mobile at this point.

Personally I think it's up to you how much you're still into Windows Mobile. We all know that the 950 and XL are basically phones for the fans at this point, and you can make them look a bit more premium with the mozo cases, but they're perfect if you're still invested in Windows Mobile as a platform and they have some differentiators. If you're not that much into Windows Mobile anymore and you just want a change then by all means treat yourself to a new phone like the S6 that feels premium instantly and is a nice change of pace for you.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make. Hope to see you around the boards here more. :)
That's the thing. Like I said, I LOVE the OS. I really like the 950/950 XL hardware.

What I don't like is the app quality, lack of apps, and lack of Verizon availability on an UNLOCKED phone. I was hanging on for dear life to my 920 for this day...now it's FINALLY here after 2 years of waiting for a valid upgrade path to the 920, and I find myself asking, "Is it worth it?"

It just kills me to compare WP apps side by side w/ apps on android/iOS for the ones WP does have.

Then you have lack of banking apps, no draft kings or Fan duel? No Dunkin? No Star bucks? This hasn't been a huge deal to me in the past, but now when I'm faced to either buy a $500+ phone or get one "discounted" with contract that actually has all of the apps that I want, it's a much tougher decision than I anticipated.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well...it's done. Ordered a Note 5 tonight and am switching to verizon this weekend.

You guys weren't very convincing! lol

I toyed with the idea of picking up a used Lumia Icon, but I want a NEW high end phone, with the apps I need.

I'll be back for the surface phone though...unless they mess it up, but I have the faith in Panay!

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well...it's done. Ordered a Note 5 tonight and am switching to verizon this weekend.

You guys weren't very convincing! lol

I toyed with the idea of picking up a used Lumia Icon, but I want a NEW high end phone, with the apps I need.

I'll be back for the surface phone though...unless they mess it up, but I have the faith in Panay!

I am probably one of the biggest windows phone fanboys around here, but now I am craving for an android. I thought about it , and I may pick up a NOte 4. Simply because it has removable battery. I will continue to use my Lumia 640, but right now, my social life requires me to have some apps that are missing on Windwos Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes