Can't handle small screen phones!

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Here is the irony with modern smartphones being used for watching movies. Yes, they come with beautiful screens and speakers supposedly utilized for media consumption, BUT

1. Most people are on a limited data plan, they would not dare use it up on FHD or QHD movies on the go. If you were on a wifi network to watch videos, that most likely means you are not mobile. You do not need a "mobile" phone for that.

2. Even if people had the movie on a local storage, it would be very impractical since the battery would not be able to last for the rest of the day. To this day, I have never seen anyone watching a two hour movie on a phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

I don't watch movies on my phone. So if you don't watch movies on your phone you should settle for a 5" screen when a 5.5 to 6 is available? Have you seen the screen on the Note 5?? Who wouldn't want that???

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Larger screens are definitely nice, especially as you get older, but they start to become more impractical as they increase in size. I use a belt case to carry my phone as I don't trust carrying it in my pocket, but already at 5 inches it is starting to look like a miniature satchel strapped to my waist plus it gets in the way more when I strap myself into my car. I can only imagine how inconvenient a 6 inch device will be.

On the other hand, I can see why a lot of people still prefer a 4 inch screen as my Android phone is 4 inches and I only realized it was probably the sweet spot for convenience when I got the Lumia 640. Most new phones seem to start at 5 inches now so I'll most likely stick with that size, but definitely would not like to go any larger if I can help it.

Last edited:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't watch movies on my phone. So if you don't watch movies on your phone you should settle for a 5" screen when a 5.5 to 6 is available? Have you seen the screen on the Note 5?? Who wouldn't want that???

The original post by Ten Four you were responding to was about watching movies on the phone, which is why I talked about it.

As for the screen, I would rather have a 55 inch screen of a TV, but I have to take into account taking calls, holding the phone, fitting it in my pocket, going for a bike ride/run with it, and using the phone one handed.

And if I am just using a phone for messaging/email, taking calls, banking, managing calendar appointments, listening to music, then there is no reason that I would prefer a larger screen.

I do not watch lengthy videos or play games on my phone either.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The original post by Ten Four you were responding to was about watching movies on the phone, which is why I talked about it.

As for the screen, I would rather have a 55 inch screen of a TV, but I have to take into account taking calls, holding the phone, fitting it in my pocket, going for a bike ride/run with it, and using the phone one handed.

And if I am just using a phone for messaging/email, taking calls, banking, managing calendar appointments, listening to music, then there is no reason that I would prefer a larger screen.

I do not watch lengthy videos or play games on my phone either.

I think that's the thing isn't it. No one would NOT like a large screen even if you don't watch movies or play games etc, it's really more a case of what is actually practical to carry.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Really what I want is a small phone with a large virtual 40 inch+ monitor through a hololense.

Then continuum might start to make sense. Sort of...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Five inch is about my sweet spot. That's where I can comfortably use the phone horizontally. I recently downgraded from a 1520 to a 830. On my 1520, I could make landscape mode work with a bit of stretching, but it wasn't comfortable.

I recommend trying out different screen sizes. Stop at a carrier store and play with other devices. Try typing in landscape mode and see how it feels. You might appreciate having more, or less, screen real estate.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I like my N1520 screen size and that is what I carry all the time in roomy britches with big pockets, but at work when I work in the field on equipment I still have my N920. I can carry my N1520 and work in the equipment shop but it would not last one day climbing around and inside of industrial equipment. The small screens probably are easier to use if you still have perfect eyesight and warm slender fingers, and I plan on riding the N1520 & N920 into the sunset, PS won't need the N920 once I retire ha ha.

Greg Wenzler

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I went the phablet route early on, with a Note 2...followed by a 1320, then a 640XL. Needed cases because I frequently dropped them. Love the large screen.
Then I was at my sisters place and used my bro-in-laws Moto G 1st Gen (4.5). Was really kinda nice one handing everything. Plus, I have headphones on about 8 hours a day, with phone in pocket...except when I need to bend down, clean stuff, squat...oh, I should have worn a shirt with a pocket. Did I leave the phone at the house or did it drop out of my jacket pocket?
It really really hard to find a small screen size in a decent phone. Almost all decent manufacturers have gotten out of that space. About the only well built, decently specced small phone is a iPhone 5S. So when Cricket started blowing them out cheap. I nabbed one. It's kinda been nice being able to pocket it everywhere. I disagree that the bigger the screen size, the better the phone.
It will be interesting seeing how Apple fares when they announce their 4" 5S replacement. I know I'm in the vast minority wanting a smaller screen, but are their still enough people for the new iPhone to be a viable product? Be interesting to tell.
The one benefit that a smaller phone has is that I never wonder where I put it. It's ALWAYS in my pants pocket. I couldn't do that with the phablets I had.
Foldable phones can't come fast enough for me.

James McCulloch

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I totally can't handle big phones (literally!)... I still pick up my old Lumia 800 every now and then, feels so good in the hand. The lack of any decent small screen phones these days really annoys me, what people consider 'small' now I generally think is too big, 4" is plenty for me but its more about the height of the phone, I use a L730 atm, 142mm tall... I hate it.

Different strokes for different folks of course, but surely I'm not alone? Can't someone make a phone for me? :unhappy:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Five inch is about my sweet spot. That's where I can comfortably use the phone horizontally. I recently downgraded from a 1520 to a 830. On my 1520, I could make landscape mode work with a bit of stretching, but it wasn't comfortable.

I recommend trying out different screen sizes. Stop at a carrier store and play with other devices. Try typing in landscape mode and see how it feels. You might appreciate having more, or less, screen real estate.
I haven't had a problem with a 5.7" screen, despite early concerns that I would. It only took me a couple days to adapt to the large size. However, I never used any device one-handed, even the little Nokia E62 and E71 that I had years ago.

I also never type in landscape mode. I use landscape mode for watching movies or taking/editing/viewing pictures in landscape mode, but not for anything else. I'm always using portrait mode otherwise.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Side by side, there's really not that much difference between a Lumia 950 (5.2 inch) and a 950XL (5.7). I really wish they had made the XL just a bit bigger, say 6 inches like the 1520.

I do find that at normal viewing distance the screen appears bigger than my 55 inch TV which is on the wall. But I still don't watch movies on the phone.

Bittah Pupil

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
4" worked for me (Acer M220) and 5" seems to be the sweet spot for me (535 and 640). My 4.5" Android work phone is suitable too. I played around with the 640XL and the 950 at a Microsoft store and while they were nice, the size was too big for my hands and more than what I needed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I totally can't handle big phones (literally!)... I still pick up my old Lumia 800 every now and then, feels so good in the hand. The lack of any decent small screen phones these days really annoys me, what people consider 'small' now I generally think is too big, 4" is plenty for me but its more about the height of the phone, I use a L730 atm, 142mm tall... I hate it.

Different strokes for different folks of course, but surely I'm not alone? Can't someone make a phone for me? :unhappy:

Only if Sony made compact Windows Phones...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with a 5.7" screen, despite early concerns that I would. It only took me a couple days to adapt to the large size. However, I never used any device one-handed, even the little Nokia E62 and E71 that I had years ago.

I also never type in landscape mode. I use landscape mode for watching movies or taking/editing/viewing pictures in landscape mode, but not for anything else. I'm always using portrait mode otherwise.
I had a Nokia E63. Loved it :grin: Was my first and only keyboard phone before finally going to touchscreens. The only downside with this device was that the camera wasn't Nokia's typical quality in that photos quite often had a lot of noise unless taken in good daylight. I also tend to use most devices with two hands. For me, actually using a larger device is not so much the problem, more the carrying it gets more impractical as they get bigger.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I am guessing 6 inches must be approaching the limit, if not the limit, as I cannot imagine holding a 7 inch device to my head since I do have a couple of tablets that size. But then again, I guess the same was said when the Samsung Note came out!

On the other hand people use original size iPads to take photos so who knows what whackiness still lies ahead... :grin:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
For me a mobile device must fit comfortably into any normal pocket in any clothes I would wear normally. I am amazed how people walk around in their skinny jeans with $700 phones hanging half out of their back pockets. Even if you don't have it stolen odds are very high it will fall out (often in the toilet) or you will sit on it and crack the screen. Visit any college and note that most of the expensive iPhones hanging half out of back pockets have cracked screens. I traveled recently with a friend who had a big phablet that was too big for most pockets so it was usually in his hand, if he hadn't left it on the table in the restaurant, in his briefcase, on the desk, on the floor of the bathroom, at the ticket counter, etc. etc. Not a "Mobile" device.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I prefer smaller ones under 5" since they fit well in my pocket and easier for one handed use. 5.5" and upwards are best for watching movies and typing in landscape mode.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
SIM swapped from my 1520 to the 950. Biggest benefit of the 950 vs the 1520, the weight, or lack thereof. This 950 is a feather compared to the 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes