Whatsapp issues on Windows Phone.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

My phone storage of lumia 640 is almost full (80mb left), and most of the place is taken by whatsapp and i am unable to move whatsapp content to sd card because that thing is not showing not even in pc. I will never buy a windows phone if i can't find a solution to it. If you can help then appreciated but i was unable to find a solution on internet.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
It's definitely the phones fault you either put in a bad SD card or didn't put one in at all. These darn phones do not control our thoughts or actions nearly well enough!

At least it was omnipotent enough to prevent you from cleaning out all the saved data from WhatsApp.

ABHISHEK GAUR1

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I think you all didn't get the message. WHATSAPP is an app which can not be moved to SD CARD because it's developer does not allows it. SD card is working well for years and I can access it easily. Even while connecting the phone via a cable to PC it doesn't show the whatsapp folder so, how can I damn clean that whatsapp data? It's irritating, even in the files app the folder is not visible but in another app the folder is visible in Root directory of phone storage. It is not possible for me to delete the phones photos and videos via gallery, reason is selection, and you have to delete videos ONE BY ONE. It is the fault of OS not phone. ANDROID is way better, way way better.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you realize that you could always backup your WhatsApp cache (messages) to the SD card, uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp again? If you had configured videos and pictures to be stored in the SD card then all your WhatsApp media would automatically be stored on the SD card thus leaving a ton of space on the phone memory. I've more than 3GB of WhatsApp media being configured to store by default on the SD card while messages get backed up automatically on the SD card too....all this when WhatsApp is installed on the main memory. Stop complaining about a platform without knowing who's fault it really is...the OS or the user.

ABHISHEK GAUR1

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Well Let me tell you what I did, the problem was solved, but that solution is radical. I Unistalled the WHATSAPP app. To my surprise the 80MB space which was left turned to 2.1GB and all the photos and videos were "STILL THERE". So, dramatic right, it is the fault of software not hardware. Then reinstalled the whatsapp. But this solution has no meaning. It is OS FAULT. I was thinking to buy lumia 640XL but changed my mind now. The only possible answer I get when I think of what must have happened, there are sent folders in videos, audios, and images of whatsapp which do not show in gallery but also consumes space in the storage, the uninstall must have removed those, there are other faults too. Last time I was able to move the whatsapp folder to SD card via cable, but this time it was not showing, and when I moved those to SD CARD they were not showing in gallery and videos were there in the video app of windows but the problem is you can not share them from there. Then I correct it by moving the videos to the video folder of SD CARD and images to the images/picture (do not remember) folder, and they were now showing. IT IS ALL 'OS'.

ABHISHEK GAUR1

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
In Android it is easy to access the system folders too and easy to manage the media files by making different folders of your choice. But in windows it is not possible and if you even try it you will face the issues.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not OS dude, trust me I've been using windows phone with WhatsApp for a long time now. I change phones phones quite often and every time I either have to reflash or reset my phone all I had to do is to backup WhatsApp messages to the SD card and backup the WhatsApp folder from under the Photos folder.

What you could have done is:
1) backup your WhatsApp data to SD card from within the app, no copy paste required yet.
2) create a folder named "temp"on the SD card and backup the Photos >> WhatsApp folder to it.
3) check that your WhatsApp messages backup exists on the SD card >> WhatsApp folder.
4) uninstall WhatsApp and clean temporary files using the storage app, by this time WhatsApp will have 0 storage on your phone.
5) configure new images and videos to be stored directly to your SD card from storage sense.
6) install WhatsApp on main memory again.
7) during setup it should prompt you to restore your backup from SD card >> WhatsApp. This will restore all your messages.
8) move the "temp" folder image files back to photos >> WhatsApp.
9) everything should be setup again for future use.

As i mentioned earlier WhatsApp is taking less than 100MB space in my phone memory whereas 3GB media space on my SD card

ABHISHEK GAUR1

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
It's not OS dude, trust me I've been using windows phone with WhatsApp for a long time now. I change phones phones quite often and every time I either have to reflash or reset my phone all I had to do is to backup WhatsApp messages to the SD card and backup the WhatsApp folder from under the Photos folder.

What you could have done is:
1) backup your WhatsApp data to SD card from within the app, no copy paste required yet.
2) create a folder named "temp"on the SD card and backup the Photos >> WhatsApp folder to it.
3) check that your WhatsApp messages backup exists on the SD card >> WhatsApp folder.
4) uninstall WhatsApp and clean temporary files using the storage app, by this time WhatsApp will have 0 storage on your phone.
5) configure new images and videos to be stored directly to your SD card from storage sense.
6) install WhatsApp on main memory again.
7) during setup it should prompt you to restore your backup from SD card >> WhatsApp. This will restore all your messages.
8) move the "temp" folder image files back to photos >> WhatsApp.
9) everything should be setup again for future use.

As i mentioned earlier WhatsApp is taking less than 100MB space in my phone memory whereas 3GB media space on my SD card

Well My friend, being an android user I am not used to this kind of shuffling, this is surely windows fault. WHatsapp stopped support for phones running windows before v8. Think there is an issue. I can send documents in android thru whatsapp and in windows it hasn't got updated yet. This clearly shows how windows phones are lacking in software issues and market. There are very less apps and all those cloned apps for example ES FILE MANAGER are full of ads, and does not work. It is also a security threat. I can not see whatsapp folder, videos, audios, pics in the sd card or in the phone storage by the official FILE app or via PC connectivity, Why? Do they think I will make changes to any file of whatsapp there? This is not a user experience I want. To solve a problem in windows you have to search a lot and then take help from forums and somehow you understand that you can do things but with limitations. Google is way better in user experience. Even the so called W10 delayed a lot that I lost hope that it will be present this year. Even that has more problems then W8.1. It will take a decade for windows to make a mark or a good developer to change it's future. Require a person like Pichai.

Issues I faced
1) Mentioned above about whatsapp folder not showing in phone storage or in sd card.
2) Not many apps, most of the apps are cloned by few idiots who put ads in there and those apps don't function, ex- es file manager, mx player etc.
3) No google app (People are more addicted to google apps because of it's simple UI, better support, quick bug fixes), Windows maps seriously does not holds good.
4) If I make a folder in sd card outside the basic folder, and put pics or videos there, they won't show in gallery. (Formatted the phone and SD card thinking that It must be because of SD card.)
5) Faced few lags, require restart sometimes when double tap wake feature doesn't work (It happens around once a month).
6) Can not delete videos by selection in gallery. (How can I delete the whatsapp videos without selection when the folder is also not visible in sd card or in phone storage also)
7) Things gets boring after sometime with not much in it to do.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well My friend, being an android user I am not used to this kind of shuffling, this is surely windows fault. WHatsapp stopped support for phones running windows before v8. Think there is an issue. I can send documents in android thru whatsapp and in windows it hasn't got updated yet. This clearly shows how windows phones are lacking in software issues and market. There are very less apps and all those cloned apps for example ES FILE MANAGER are full of ads, and does not work. It is also a security threat. I can not see whatsapp folder, videos, audios, pics in the sd card or in the phone storage by the official FILE app or via PC connectivity, Why? Do they think I will make changes to any file of whatsapp there? This is not a user experience I want. To solve a problem in windows you have to search a lot and then take help from forums and somehow you understand that you can do things but with limitations. Google is way better in user experience. Even the so called W10 delayed a lot that I lost hope that it will be present this year. Even that has more problems then W8.1. It will take a decade for windows to make a mark or a good developer to change it's future. Require a person like Pichai.

Issues I faced
1) Mentioned above about whatsapp folder not showing in phone storage or in sd card.
2) Not many apps, most of the apps are cloned by few idiots who put ads in there and those apps don't function, ex- es file manager, mx player etc.
3) No google app (People are more addicted to google apps because of it's simple UI, better support, quick bug fixes), Windows maps seriously does not holds good.
4) If I make a folder in sd card outside the basic folder, and put pics or videos there, they won't show in gallery. (Formatted the phone and SD card thinking that It must be because of SD card.)
5) Faced few lags, require restart sometimes when double tap wake feature doesn't work (It happens around once a month).
6) Can not delete videos by selection in gallery. (How can I delete the whatsapp videos without selection when the folder is also not visible in sd card or in phone storage also)
7) Things gets boring after sometime with not much in it to do.
Now you're going off topic in your own thread, and targeting the OS in general, your original question to your WhatsApp problem was a user issue and not the OS. A mod should probably close this thread for now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WHATSAPP is an app which can not be moved to SD CARD because it's developer does not allows it.

Well Let me tell you what I did, the problem was solved, but that solution is radical. I Unistalled the WHATSAPP app. To my surprise the 80MB space which was left turned to 2.1GB and all the photos and videos were "STILL THERE". So, dramatic right, it is the fault of software not hardware. Then reinstalled the whatsapp. But this solution has no meaning. It is OS FAULT.

You seem to keep confusing the OS with how Whatsapp developers created the App to operate on the OS.

If I have a Chevrolet and BP regular gas makes the car run poorly and gunks up the valves, is it Chevrolet's fault or BP's?

I'm glad your issue got resolved.

One thing I learned from switching platforms is that expecting one platform to behave as another does is the quickest way to frustration. Each has their own ways to do things. Learning the ins and out of the OS you are on is much more fruitful than bashing around in it, trying to make it behave like another platform and then not liking the results that yields.

Thread title clarified.... Guytronic beat me to the closure.

Best of luck, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon