04-25-2016 08:50 PM
57 123
tools
    Tell me again that the platform isn't DOA?
    chuckdaly and arjunan like this.
    03-30-2016 02:07 PM
    Isn't this comment a little premature? Have you not seen the coverage given to UWP? Did you not see the 'bridges' demonstrated for converting apps? How about a unified store on XBOX, PC and 'other' platforms?

As I said, a little premature maybe.
    03-30-2016 02:13 PM
    Pretty sure there will soon be a long article on this site explaining why that's a good thing..... /s
    03-30-2016 02:14 PM
    Isn't this comment a little premature? Have you not seen the coverage given to UWP? Did you not see the 'bridges' demonstrated for converting apps? How about a unified store on XBOX, PC and 'other' platforms?

As I said, a little premature maybe.
    Keynotes reflect priority. It is clear W10 mobile is not one.
    Varun Rajan and mlang18 like this.
    03-30-2016 02:17 PM
    Microsoft might just be expecting Mobile to be automatically swept along in the current. And, that is possible.
    Guytronic, libra89 and jmshub like this.
    03-30-2016 03:08 PM
    Microsoft might just be expecting Mobile to be automatically swept along in the current. And, that is possible.
    You mean the current in which it's currently drowning?

No, that is a nave response. Everyone knows it matters and those who claim others wise are not being honest.
    tgp and theefman like this.
    03-30-2016 03:14 PM
    Makes sense. It's 1% of the mobile market and they appropriately don't care. As a stockholder I agree. As a 950XL owner not so happy...reality
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-30-2016 03:25 PM
    You mean the current in which it's currently drowning?

No, that is a nave response. Everyone knows it matters and those who claim others wise are not being honest.
    For the record, I'm not saying I agree with that view! I'm saying that Microsoft might think that.

Looking at it realistically, throughout the keynote HoloLens, Xbox, and IoT were often mentioned as part of the Windows 10 Platform. Mobile wasn't.
    Guytronic, libra89 and Varun Rajan like this.
    03-30-2016 03:25 PM
    Zero Discussion of Mobile at Build Keynote
    Makes all the sense in the world not to talk about a public relations nightmare.
    03-30-2016 03:37 PM
    The platform isn't dead.

First, this was the keynote, which kind of details future stuff and is only front for the rest of the build days.

Second, remember Windows 10 is more than just an OS now, its a service. When they talk about Windows 10 in general, which they did throughout the Keynote session, they are talking about all devices with Windows 10. Mobile, HoloLens, PC, Tablets, Xbox, and IoT.

Just because the introduction didn't have your favorite character, doesn't mean they're not in the book.
    leonelfunes32 likes this.
    03-30-2016 03:38 PM
    The platform isn't dead.

First, this was the keynote, which kind of details future stuff and is only front for the rest of the build days.

Second, remember Windows 10 is more than just an OS now, its a service. When they talk about Windows 10 in general, which they did throughout the Keynote session, they are talking about all devices with Windows 10. Mobile, HoloLens, PC, Tablets, Xbox, and IoT.

Just because the introduction didn't have your favorite character, doesn't mean they're not in the book.
    Good answer, BUT, unfortunately, the dissenters appear to separate Win 10 Mobile from WaaS. MS quite clearly, and have done for some time now, promoted the WaaS and the fact that all devices participate in the ecosystem, from PC to surface, Xbox to Mobile etc.

Oh, and I found a snippet for W10M in the news section on here. Continuum to go wireless and for gaming, Xbox controller compatability with continuum devices. Neither of these projects are cheap to fund, and raise eyebrows when the mobile is dead brigade fail to read or research these snippets, and they weren't even buried. It's day one, so as I said in the previous post, slating and doom mongering is premature. Doom mongering itself isn't the problem, it's the lack of research done before posting such negative comments.
    03-30-2016 04:24 PM
    I guess Microsoft is hoping that if they can just avoid the dangerous rapids along the way, perhaps they can setup camp and finally establish a village downstream. The problem is the rope holding the raft together is beginning to come apart
    Guytronic and tgp like this.
    03-30-2016 07:12 PM
    I honestly believe if there would have been a segment on mobile quite a few would have busted out laughing or there would have been a rolling groan.
    They were smart to step over the subject.

Not to say more rumors or semi-valid information may be gleaned from the conference.
    I'm almost sure it's being discussed in the halls anyway.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 03-31-2016 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Gwammer :(
    03-30-2016 07:39 PM
    Ya think? WM is barely used in the general public, including people who are otherwise all into Microsoft. I've said this before, but my boss is a Microsoft MVP and occasionally goes to summits in Redmond or other places. He says that hardly any WPs are there, probably the same ratio as the public.

Outside of a few fans, people don't really care about Microsoft's mobile.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-30-2016 07:51 PM
    Makes sense. It's 1% of the mobile market and they appropriately don't care. As a stockholder I agree. As a 950XL owner not so happy...reality
    This is the sad truth...MS doesn't care and their Board of Directors doesn't want them too after billions lost already
    03-30-2016 08:00 PM
    Outside of a few fans, people don't really care about Microsoft's mobile.
    All I know is early on the live keynote I noticed a number of folks in the audience using a popular phone on another platform taking Mr. Nadellas picture while he was on stage.
    mikepalma, tgp, RumoredNow and 1 others like this.
    03-30-2016 08:02 PM
    I honestly believe if there would have been a segment on mobile quite a few would have busted out laughing or there would have a rolling groan.
    They were smart to step over the subject.

Not to say more rumors or semi-valid information may be gleaned from the conference.

They didn't really need a separate section for phone bur could have shown how those experiences were available on their alleged family member also running Windows 10, a simple way to promote their synergy and demo their whole mobility of experiences mantra. That also sows the seeds in devs minds to consider mobile as well.
    03-30-2016 08:15 PM
    While the idea may be to leave the consumer part of the Windows Phone market to OEM's, I don't see them flocking either. I think Alcatel is on board merely in an attempt to differentiate themselves from all the other low cost Android phones. I wonder how many they are selling though compared to their Android models. I guess the proof of the pudding will be if they produce any more models after their upcoming flagship Idol 4.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-30-2016 08:16 PM
    All I know is early on the live keynote I noticed a number of folks in the audience using a popular phone on another platform taking Mr. Nadellas picture while he was on stage.
    And then there's this tweet from Rudy Huyn...
    03-30-2016 08:19 PM
    They didn't really need a separate section for phone bur could have shown how those experiences were available on their alleged family member also running Windows 10, a simple way to promote their synergy and demo their whole mobility of experiences mantra.
    I know that.

While the idea may be to leave the consumer part of the Windows Phone market to OEM's, I don't see them flocking either. I think Alcatel is on board merely in an attempt to differentiate themselves from all the other low cost Android phones. I wonder how many they are selling though compared to their Android models. I guess the proof of the pudding will be if they produce any more models after their upcoming flagship Idol 4.
    I must report that my Windows phone experience With Alcatel has been poor.
    Not with the OS but the hardware quality of the XL one touch I shelled out for.

I'm very curious to see what Alcatel has to offer for the higher dollar amount.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-30-2016 08:21 PM
    Keynotes reflect priority. It is clear W10 mobile is not one.
    Terry Meyerson said as much today. They're definitely retrenched in mobile and hoping to define a new category at some point in the future (the way they did with Surface ) with continuum and whatever else they can dream up as well as hoping that the Universal app strategy starts to pay off. It'll probably take a few years, and they may not achieve it, but I suspect that's the goal.
    03-30-2016 09:02 PM
    It's not that most of us were looking for 10 minutes of time, we were looking some sign of true commitment that would refute our suspicions. We got the opposite.

Sadly, I pulled the plug and ordered an S7 Edge tonight. I may come back when and if MS gets it together, but they way they have treated customers leaves me little incentive.

I think Joe Belfiore probably needs to remain on sabbatical if they want to revive the platform and they need to pay the bucks to hire someone who can get developers and the largest US mobile network on board.

I realize everyone thinks that universal apps are the answer, but I don't agree. It's one more platform to have to maintain and companies do not see the value.
    dellaster, Guytronic, tgp and 2 others like this.
    03-30-2016 09:35 PM
    Sadly, I pulled the plug and ordered an S7 Edge tonight. I may come back when and if MS gets it together, but they way they have treated customers leaves me little incentive.
    It sounds like it will be at least a year until we see much more in Windows Mobile. And who knows what will happen then? Even if development does take off, we could be looking at another year until we see any measure of parity. By then, your S7 Edge will be two years old and it will be time to think about replacing it anyway. It's all good!

I think Joe Belfiore probably needs to remain on sabbatical if they want to revive the platform and they need to pay the bucks to hire someone who can get developers and the largest US mobile network on board.
    I doubt whether there were ever any plans of Belfiore returning when he walked out the door a few months ago. I think the sabbatical was a diplomatic way for him to leave.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-30-2016 10:22 PM
    The platform is not DOA
    RumoredNow and leonelfunes32 like this.
    03-30-2016 11:46 PM
    I'm very curious to see what Alcatel has to offer for the higher dollar amount.
    Isn't Alcatel a budget phone company like BLU?
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-31-2016 12:17 AM
57 123