Why doesn't my 2016 phone have...

doggis85

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
...all these things that I had before? I really cant understand why all these features are ascent on my Lumia 930, when I had some of them 15-20 years ago:

- Sound profiles (any Nokia phone)
- Infrared (my 6110)
- Wake on alarm even if off (any older Nokia phone)
- Norwegian Text-to-Speech/Cortana (my e51 read out my Messages loud)
- Stereo speakers (my Omnia HD, symbian)
- Ability to choose T9 numeric pad for input (also my Omnia HD)
- Ability to voice command my phone via Bluetooth (my L930 with WP8.1 - though in English only)
- Glance screen (my Nokia N8)
- A week of battery life (almost any phone before my Galaxy S2)
- A pull-out-antenna (my first Alcatel)

What do you miss from Your previous Phones?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...all these things that I had before? I really cant understand why all these features are ascent on my Lumia 930, when I had some of them 15-20 years ago:

- Sound profiles (any Nokia phone)
- Infrared (my 6110)
- Wake on alarm even if off (any older Nokia phone)
- Norwegian Text-to-Speech/Cortana (my e51 read out my Messages loud)
- Stereo speakers (my Omnia HD, symbian)
- Ability to choose T9 numeric pad for input (also my Omnia HD)
- Ability to voice command my phone via Bluetooth (my L930 with WP8.1 - though in English only)
- Glance screen (my Nokia N8)
- A week of battery life (almost any phone before my Galaxy S2)
- A pull-out-antenna (my first Alcatel)

What do you miss from Your previous Phones?

Phone's aren't going to be a raw aggregate of features before. I know my 2015 phone doesn't run Palm OS applications or synchronize with my PC using ActiveSync or HotSync.

Compromises are made, the market goes in various directions, etc.

And know a no-compromised phone is going to compromise on cost and/or size as well.

Also, the 930 is 2013/2014 phone.

1. Sound Profiles
That's a shortcoming of Windows Phone, some other OSes like Android and Blackberry 10 have similar profile functionality. Some OSes have features others don't.

2. Infrared
That's a feature that's not as popular as it once was.

Beaming data over IR just isn't the rage. It's "new" novelty is as a remote replacement, such as TV's, but that's not a common doohickey. Try a Samsung Galaxy S5 or something like that with an "IR Blaster."

3. Alarms despite powered off phone.
There's nothing I have to say here, whether its the OSes complexity, boot time or just being *off*, I don't know.

4. Norwegian TTS/Cortana
Windows Phone shortcoming, Cortana hasn't exactly been quick to spread.

5. Stereo speakers.
Depends on phone. A compromise often made using limited space and resources.

6. T9 Numeric Pad for input.
Largely obsolete, especially considering the raw amount of screen real estate available these days to keyboards. Also not a WP feature.

7. Voice command over Bluetooth
I do it on my Windows Phones, iPhone too.

8. Glance screen
Lack of it is a byproduct of the specific display used here. A cost cutting measure I presume. Some phones have it, some don't. Basic compromise.

9. Week battery life.
Manufacturers are not prioritizing battery life all the time. We do see some phones that push the standards like the BLU Energy, etc. but they MAY have their own set of compromises ranging from expense, underpowered hardware, etc.

Manufacturers often choose slimness, cost, raw horsepower over battery. Read: iPhone.

10. Pull-out antenna.
100% Obsolete, awkward if combined with today's designs and yet another thing a user has to worry about and not break.
I remember the Treo 680 losing the external antenna stub was a nice perk over the previous model.

I do miss my one-touch access to applications like PDA's of old.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Battery life in current phones is short precisely due to the fact that these are smartphones. They have bigger, faster processors, more RAM, higher resolution screens, bigger screens, wifi, 3G, 4G, apps, services and who knows what else. The basic feature phones like the nokia 100 can run for days because they don't have any of these features.

If you wish your smartphone to run for longer, that means sacrificing a few things. Don't use data when you don't need to, switch off apps in background, switch off screen when not in use, low brightness, reduce apps etc. I was able to get my lumia 1020 to last for more than 2 days by using data when I needed to which was 3 times a day, normal texting, calling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven