Are the Navigation Maps for Windows Mobile 10, 8.1, and 7.8 still being updated?

Merazomo

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I own 3 Lumias with Windows Mobile 10, 8.1, and 7.8
Windows 10 uses Maps, 8.1 uses Here Drive+, and 7.8 uses Nokia Drive

I wanted to use my old beat-up Windows 7.8 and 8.1 Lumias as stand alone GPS navigation devices since they just won't die; however, I've noticed that only my Windows 10 phone seems to update the Maps. Does anybody know for certain if the Maps for Nokia Drive and Here Drive+ are still being updated? I know they're old but they're still so fast

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I own 3 Lumias with Windows Mobile 10, 8.1, and 7.8
Windows 10 uses Maps, 8.1 uses Here Drive+, and 7.8 uses Nokia Drive

I wanted to use my old beat-up Windows 7.8 and 8.1 Lumias as stand alone GPS navigation devices since they just won't die; however, I've noticed that only my Windows 10 phone seems to update the Maps. Does anybody know for certain if the Maps for Nokia Drive and Here Drive+ are still being updated? I know they're old but they're still so fast

the offline maps might be updated though you can't be sure

Merazomo

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
My Windows 7.8 Lumia 800 is actually better than my Windows 8.1 Lumia 521, but I've just noticed that the offline Maps in 7.8 are 160MB, while 8.1's Maps are over 400MB. It's been a while since I've received an update for either one. I can't rely on these phone to search for POI, but I figured most addresses never really change, it's only the businesses that change locations back and forth, but still. I've tried contacting Nokia to ask them, but haven't heard from them.

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
My Windows 7.8 Lumia 800 is actually better than my Windows 8.1 Lumia 521, but I've just noticed that the offline Maps in 7.8 are 160MB, while 8.1's Maps are over 400MB. It's been a while since I've received an update for either one. I can't rely on these phone to search for POI, but I figured most addresses never really change, it's only the businesses that change locations back and forth, but still. I've tried contacting Nokia to ask them, but haven't heard from them.

They're a bit understaffed at the moment..

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've tried contacting Nokia to ask them, but haven't heard from them.

Nokia no longer has any interest in maps, they sold it all to a consortium of German Automobile makers.

My understanding is that 8.1 receives legacy support for HERE from the new owners and W10M only uses the mapping database. Nokia Drive on 7.8 would be left (?) unsupported. (?)

Try contacting HERE about map updates to 8.1 HERE and HERE Drive Apps..

Merazomo

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Nokia no longer has any interest in maps, they sold it all to a consortium of German Automobile makers.

My understanding is that 8.1 receives legacy support for HERE from the new owners and W10M only uses the mapping database. Nokia Drive on 7.8 would be left (?) unsupported. (?)

Try contacting HERE about map updates to 8.1 HERE and HERE Drive Apps..

Thanks. Browsing through the HERE website, I found a few quotes posted on their website:

"The latest HERE apps updates are available for anyone who upgraded to Windows Phone 8.x. If you haven’t upgraded to Windows Phone 8.x, we recommend that you do so because HERE apps for the earlier versions of Windows Phone won’t be updated in the future"

"HERE is deeply integrated in the Windows Phone 8 operating system. The HERE apps for Windows Phone 8 will continue to work for you without any disruption. However, we made the business decision to stop the development of new features. Additionally, the maps developed specifically for Windows Phone will not be updated"

It's pretty clear now that the Maps on my Lumia 800 are so small because they're probably missing 3/4 of the info the Maps on Windows 8.1 have, and Here Drive+ will continue to get updated on Windows 8.1; however, the Maps won't. I could do with a ****y version of the App, if the Maps were up to date, but since the Maps are outdated, I have no use for it. Even if you find a driving route, that doesn't mean that how you get there hasn't changed. I guess Maps is the only true free voice navigation App for now.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
HERE maps are no longer supported on any windows phones, its clearly stated on their site and buried in microsofts phone section. According to my wife you also get a notification stating that when you open the HERE app. HERE maps will continue working but as of June 6th 2016 will no longer be updated.

Maps on windows 10 mobile is supposed to fill in that gap but its nowhere near as good as HERE. Also when you upgrade to 10 mobile it removes the HERE apps from your phone.
HERE took their navigation app to android :unhappy:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
HERE maps are no longer supported on any windows phones, its clearly stated on their site and buried in microsofts phone section. According to my wife you also get a notification stating that when you open the HERE app. HERE maps will continue working but as of June 6th 2016 will no longer be updated.

Maps on windows 10 mobile is supposed to fill in that gap but its nowhere near as good as HERE. Also when you upgrade to 10 mobile it removes the HERE apps from your phone.
HERE took their navigation app to android :unhappy:

in what ways is the latest MS maps not as good as Here maps? I'm curious to know what is missing or of lesser quality

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes