Budget phone suggestion

anon(9946295)

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Good day everyone. I've been using a Lumia 920 for the past 4 years, and im very happy and proud of the phone. It served me well. The phone is having issues now and i feel i should get myself a new one. Im looking for a midrange phone and i hope it would be running on w10m. I was looking at the 650, but im still not sure on which device to get. I wouldnt mind to buy a wp 8.1 phone and upgrading it to w10m by myself. i just hope the update is there already, cause ive been using wp8.1 for some time and now looking forward to use w10m. If thats the case, how can i identify whether w10m update has arrived in my country? Thank you. :wink:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where you are, most likely all phones are Factory Unlocked... So no carrier standing in the way.

Just check the eligible for W10M lists. If you buy a device that was unlocked from a carrier, that is harder to say unless we know what country/carrier it belonged t originally.

If your phone is on the eligible list and not waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Upgrade Advisor to get the Official release (RTM).

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can get a gently used 830 in your budget that might be a good move.

• Can upgrade to W10M.
  • Excellent Camera compared to budget models (Zeiss, PureView, OIS, can shoot .dng). Note 640 XL has more MP, but no OIS and no .dng support.
  • 16 GB internal storage.
  • Qi wireless charging.
  • I personally love the design and thought it felt very good in hand.
Cons...
  • Front Facing camera weak (0.9MP).
  • Battery a bit slim (2200 mAh). Although I regularly got 2 days out of my 830 with light to moderate use.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
You asked for budget in the time but described about a mid range in the details.
Now, there's a Kickstarter programme to launch a Japanese only phone Nuans Neo internationally. It's a mid range with continuum support. That's a good mid range one at a good price now for me <$300 for now.
It's a phone that they sell to Japanese market so the build should be good.

We all here would love to her your choice :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now, there's a Kickstarter programme to launch a Japanese only phone Nuans Neo internationally.

More info here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nuans-neo/430183-nuans-neo-kickstarter-live.html

I pledged and am getting the $400 retail NuAns Neo for only $280 shipped. Your card won't be charged until the KickStarter is fully funded and devices will ship in November (they have to get FCC certification).

Also see: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nuans-neo/428484-nuans-neo-specs-features.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism