Have an upgrade, pondering return to WP

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's the deal, I was a WP supporter (I think I was even an ambassador here on the site, don't remember) from back in the day. I'm talking when the Lumia 800 "Amazing Everyday" campaign was running (better than iPhone and Samsung ads for sure!). Had the Focus, Optima, Lumia 900, HTC Surround and two Lumia 920's.

Loved all of the social posting features from WP7. Still think that's a feature that should've never been taken out.

Headed to iOS after that for the iPhone 4, 5 and 6. Great devices, love having all of the apps a kid could ask for. Has worked well for me.

I've got an upgrade coming up, and I'm thinking the iPhone 7 isn't worth the upgrade. Especially since they're taking the headphone jack out, keeping the same form factor and have already said the 8 is when the new redesign will take place.

With that said, even though there is some seriously great tech, Android has never really resonated with me. So I'm not really considering that (even though the HTC A9 looks pretty sweet). The tricky part is all of my music and audiobooks and being able to transfer them over.

I've always had a soft spot for WP and am thinking of trying it out again. I've got an iPad to run iOS apps I need for work. Might even be able to keep the 6 for the same.

I'm on ATT so that means either a 1520 or 950 (the XL is still at a ridiculous price point). If my kids didn't need to eat, the HP device looks pretty sweet. LOVE the possibility of putting a 128gb card (which I have) into a phone.

Are other people in the same boat? If so, hows your game plan shaping up?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with Windows Phone. My two year old Lumia 1520 to be exact. Aside from the better camera on the 950, there's no reason to replace my 1520. It still takes excellent pictures, runs Windows 10 well, and can even shoot 4K video. I can definitely wait until the rumored Surface Phone makes an appearance, or until the 950 XL drops to the $200-$300 range.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Based on the fact that you are considering returning to WP, I would recommend not using your upgrade for the 950. Get it secondhand, from someone you can return it to (many are going for 250-300) and try it out first. The AT&T 950s are even lower than the unlocked ones. I got the 950 I tried secondhand at 300, unlocked.

I had the A9, it's pretty cool if you find one that isn't crazily priced.

I'm hoping to find that right Android for me. iOS is minimal, reliable, nice battery life but the lack of customization kind of makes it hard for me to be fully content there. I wasn't impressed with the battery life of the 950 when I tried it so if I use a Windows Phone, it will be the 640. It is lacking two apps for me which must be substituted in Edge, one of which kind of sucks really because no push notifications is a bummer. The other is great.

For now, the answer might be Android. I'm not sure really. I'm not saying no to any of my options, still trying to find the best one for me.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my mint condition att 950 on Craigslist for 250. Lk e the phone for the most part. I ha e the latest fast ring on it and it's going good. Im not a big app person so it may not work as well for all. I still use my 6s at times as well.

Sent from mTalk

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Here's the deal, I was a WP supporter (I think I was even an ambassador here on the site, don't remember) from back in the day. I'm talking when the Lumia 800 "Amazing Everyday" campaign was running (better than iPhone and Samsung ads for sure!). Had the Focus, Optima, Lumia 900, HTC Surround and two Lumia 920's.

Loved all of the social posting features from WP7. Still think that's a feature that should've never been taken out.

Headed to iOS after that for the iPhone 4, 5 and 6. Great devices, love having all of the apps a kid could ask for. Has worked well for me.

I've got an upgrade coming up, and I'm thinking the iPhone 7 isn't worth the upgrade. Especially since they're taking the headphone jack out, keeping the same form factor and have already said the 8 is when the new redesign will take place.

With that said, even though there is some seriously great tech, Android has never really resonated with me. So I'm not really considering that (even though the HTC A9 looks pretty sweet). The tricky part is all of my music and audiobooks and being able to transfer them over.

I've always had a soft spot for WP and am thinking of trying it out again. I've got an iPad to run iOS apps I need for work. Might even be able to keep the 6 for the same.

I'm on ATT so that means either a 1520 or 950 (the XL is still at a ridiculous price point). If my kids didn't need to eat, the HP device looks pretty sweet. LOVE the possibility of putting a 128gb card (which I have) into a phone.

Are other people in the same boat? If so, hows your game plan shaping up?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!

I used to be a WP supporter but after (IMHO) the W10M fiasco, I switched back to iOS. I've been a WP user with two devices: a Lumia 800 and a Lumia 1020 (for me the best camera phone ever), no camera has the quality of this 41MP monster... until W10M was installed to it: Windows Camera is such a POS. The opportunity to buy a new device came on 2015 December and I had the choice to pick either a Lumia 950/950XL or an iPhone, and, without thinking it twice I chose the iPhone 6S. I made that choice because I preferred to have a fully functional device (with apps and easy to use) with a so so camera than a full of bugs device (with bad quality apps) with a good camera.
I have no regrets on that because I have all services and apps I need, I have a music service, good battery duration, a very fast camera (although regular quality). As a secondary device I have a Lumia 640XL which has a 64GB SD card inside so it works for me as a media consumption and storage phone, but I still complain about it because it crashes regularly. I will wait to see if a "Surface Phone" exists in the future and if the OS is good enough to fit that device, if that is not the case, I will choose the 2017 version of the iPhone.

Posted with my iPhone Pro.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
you can get the 640 for $40 or less and it works with AT&T and is a decent phone that will not break the bank. I love it because I am not afraid if it breaks because I can replace it for less than $40 and that is a lot cheaper than getting an iPhone or new Samsung or even an older Galaxy phone repaired or replaced. The first time I had to get my Galaxy replaced because the fingerprint reader stopped working. That was free because it was still under a year old and covered under warranty. The second time a broke the screen and that cost me $100 to get the phone replaced under the AT&T insurance plan. I just bought a new battery for my Galaxy and now its running Android 6 and even before the upgrade the phone was down to 50% by half way through the day. The Windows phone is much better on the battery. I am also glad to see that some apps have come back like Bank of America, Amazon, even though others have pulled out. I find I can save webpages as tiles for some of the other ones and it is not so bad.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I had two iPhones and really loved them until my second one stopped working after just a little over a year and Apple didn't want to do anything to help me. They wanted to charge me full price to upgrade to the next phone. After that I decided I am not using anymore Apple products. They are just way too overpriced.

I find Android just a little bit too buggy at times and awkward too. However I love my chromebook which I am using to write this post. I have a nice Dell laptop with Windows 10 and that is great too, but this chromebook starts up instantly and has 10 hours of battery life. But when it comes to phones I find the Windows phone running Windows 10 now is still the easiest phone to use at a bargain price. I am literally watching my Galaxy S5 with its new battery and new upgrade to Android 6 quickly go down in battery power just sitting here doing nothing. This chromebook has a much better battery range as does my Windows 640.

tsquare2112

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I was recently in the same situation. Last WP I had was the icon on Verizon, and it was a great device. I went to iPhone for a while, and Android after that. Past couple of years I've switched between iPhone and android. I will be buying a surface pro 4 next month, so thought I'd give wp another try. I got a note 7 on release day with my upgrade, and bought a refurbished 735 on amazon for around $75. I upgraded it to wp10 and am very impressed with how well it runs. The OS itself is really good. I really love the email on WPA. The 1gb ram and small screen still run WP10 buttery smooth. The only thing keeping me from dropping the note 7 is the apps that I truly need day in and day out are not there for wp10 and there is no work around. The apps it does have areceived sub par to the android or iOS. I will keep the phone as a back up, and to just play with now and then, but as a business owner, I can't use it every day and get done what I need to. Here's hoping somehow the app issues will get resolved.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local MS store last week to play with all of the phones. I liked the 950, 950xl and the 640xl (which surprised me.) The more I compared apples and (WP) oranges, the more I realized if I did get a WP, it would have to be a secondary device to play around with.

For my business needs there are a couple of iOS apps that I absolutely need on a regular basis. I ended up with the 6S+ as a result.

I love the direction W10 mobile is headed and I think it is just on the cusp of a huge breakthrough. Hopefully the Surface phone sees the light of day and launches the platform.

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local MS store last week to play with all of the phones. I liked the 950, 950xl and the 640xl (which surprised me.) The more I compared apples and (WP) oranges, the more I realized if I did get a WP, it would have to be a secondary device to play around with.

For my business needs there are a couple of iOS apps that I absolutely need on a regular basis. I ended up with the 6S+ as a result.

I love the direction W10 mobile is headed and I think it is just on the cusp of a huge breakthrough. Hopefully the Surface phone sees the light of day and launches the platform.

I always have this question: So what if there is really a Surface Phone? Will it improve the present situations of the absence of apps? Will developers start to embrace the platform? Do you think the world will start flocking over to windows 10 mobile just because of a Surface phone? I don't think so. I mean, MS introduce Continuum but the world still don't care.On the other hand, I'm reading Note 7 is selling like hot cakes as compared to windows phones.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
So what that Note 7 is selling like hot cakes. Doesn't make me want it anymore. Still a $800 phone, that will bog down and have security issues

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Good piece of tech, but if I ever tried android it would have to be a pure version of the OS. That is supposed to be really stable and fairly reliable in terms of getting updates.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So what that Note 7 is selling like hot cakes. Doesn't make me want it anymore. Still a $800 phone, that will bog down and have security issues

Every platform has security issues. Let's face it. Ultimately, is all about the over all user experiences. Why stuck with a platform when one is pleading for apps? Well, you can ignore that Note 7 is selling like hot cakes, but devs think otherwise. They will embrace Android much more than this dying windows phone platform due to higher adoption rates on Android. Whether you want Note 7 or not, it doesn't matter at all because Android users are already enjoying better apps and who knows, better available phones options too. But when the world don't want a platform like windows phone, it matters.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 running Android 6 Marshmallow and I have all the apps there that I could want. I just hate the way the phone interfaces with my car's Bluetooth. I also find the battery is draining really fast and I just bought a new battery for the phone. I would not want to upgrade to the Galaxy S7 and have to pay another $37 a month for the next two years and hope the phone doesn't die before that time.

As far as security, I would think hackers are going to try and break into Android because that is where the majority of the users are and that is where they can get the most money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers