Positive Windows phone news thread

Athanville

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I love how its easy to use this phone, i cheat on my lumia with a an android tab admittedly, the convenience is there but in terms of sheer beauty in simplicity, i will have me a windows phone. Was hooked when i first saw the 620 and had to just get that phone, hoked is an understatement. Microsoft, i wish you'd listen some more but this o.s is actually nice. Buggy sometimes but functional and effective.

anon(9088756)

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
To have Windows in the pocket on relatively small but reliable device. To have your data much more secure than on any other mobile device and have use of quite all software as on your Windows PC, tablet or laptop. It’s precious.
I cannot understand that such capabilities are vegetating in such marginal areas and the Microsoft’s attitude toward their platform is so negligent.
Yes, I support positive talk about Windows 10 Mobile. In my case I cannot imagine switching to Android or IOS. Both will never offer me things like WM10. Somehow I am not addicted to apps for any given purpose. Someday the app for reminding you to go to the toilet will surely be offered in both stores :) Thx. I need WM10 for work not for fun.
Thumbs up for WM10.

ClassicalMood

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Wanted to create a thread for the positive news about Windows 10 mobile as hearing so much negative is becoming depressing!

Yes, yes, yes. I have recommended Windows phones to all of my friends and relatives but only 15% of them stay:(. I bought a lot of Lumia 640 for $29, unlocked, flashed to TMobile firmware and gave out to people who cannot afford the smartphones but Windows 10 has been so buggy last year then many people were turned off. I convinced my wife to leave iPhone and bought her a LUMIA 950 but she had complained so much until I got Alcatel Idol 4S. It is much more stable compared to 950 but the camera is not good. In short, I always love WP but I have to carry an Android because some Apps are abandoned or not available on WP yet :(

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Folks I predict that Microsoft will mix elements of Windows 10 mobile and the new Windows on ARMS CPU software
to update windows 10 mobile to be able to run Full win 32 desktop PC programs. for Win 32 desktop PC proGrams to run smoothly this of course will require snapdragon 835 or more powerful ARMS CPU"S. the Surface smart phone needs the snapdragon 835 or 5 more powerful ARMS CPU to run the new Windows on ARMS CPU software to enable it to run win32 Desktop PC programs.

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to create a thread for the positive news about Windows 10 mobile as hearing so much negative is becoming depressing!

It's going to be difficult convincing people that there exists any kind of positive news, still, I'd like to share a bit of my experience and thoughts. Please read if you guys like a good rant!

Recently I ended up nearly killing my Lumia 950XL DS, that too for the second time within a year. Both instances had my phone get water damage. The first time I was really restless, when my display had gone green (but phone booted properly). I didn't have money to get it fixed nor buy another one, and my spare Lumia 830 took over. After a while started using the 950XL via continuum, still getting app and OS updates. It made my TV into a Windows TV, pretty useful for light web browsing, using apps, listening to music and even going through emails. Best part was and is the ability to watch youtube videos in 1080p on myTube! via continuum, and even binge watching on amazon prime.

With my regular continuum usage, the phone heated up a lot, and the display fixed itself! Pretty crazy. I was so, so happy... and then about a month ago I happened to have another similar accident, and this time I was sure I'd lost my favourite phone. The service centres, local repair shops no one seemed to be able to figure out why my phone got stuck in a boot loop after water damage. I went through quite a bit of articles and forums online... and then I decided to just do the repair myself. There was a lot of guesswork involved, but it's safe to say, I got my phone back! It's a bit handicapped, but it WORKS. Love the engineering, it is one of the easier phones to repair! (for details check out the forums for an article about a water damaged lumia 950XL)

I mentioned this story because I wanted to convey why I went through so much effort, and stuck with this phone. First off, because it is originally a Nokia device, the camera is just brilliant. Then, there is the 2k display. The iris scanner, while not as fast as a fingerprint scanner, has come to grow on me. A gesture that I just like doing, and comes to me naturally now. Then there is USB-C. Now, I am in no ways implying that such hardware quality does not exist elsewhere. It does, and in many cases it’s even better out there.

What I am saying though, is that this phone, among other things it is, is a windows phone that just works (after latest updates anyways).

It's this experience, since my first Windows Phone, a Lumia 820, that there is something about the hardware and equally importantly about the OS design that I just love Windows Mobile. The start screen and apps list, searchable settings, NFC sharing, very good email, and so many other things, that as an OS, Windows for me just works. And after being so emotionally invested into this, I did not want to lose my 950 XL. This is just it. For better or worse, I really like windows on a mobile phone, and whenever the next iteration comes, if its full windows on ARM, windows laptops and tablets with telephony, or whatever, I am going to be there.

The news regarding the end of the OS and what not, yes it did bring me down a little, but I am invested into the platform – I have apps purchased, services like OneDrive, office, OneNote, Outlook.com among others that I depend on to get work done on a daily basis. And the thing is, I need these on my laptop, which is my most used device. Having a phone with Windows not only lets me share the licenses across devices, but my settings, data, messages etc – with a consistent UI. With this consistency, there is one less thing to think about.

For example, I would always be aware of the disparity between Windows and iOS or android if I used either. But I don’t on a daily basis, and as long as my work gets done it’s okay really. I am here because I want to be, not because I need to or have to.

Summing up my thoughts and feelings – whatever the evolution of windows will be in the near future, my data, settings, apps and licenses will likely be present there, and so, I need not worry about setting anything up additionally, so to speak. So, if a really great Windows Arm tablet / phone comes out, which is more likely than not, it will be for me. I will mourn the death of Windows Mobile, but at some point it will become irrelevant. And it’s not like Microsoft abandoned users with an unusable phone. Whatever phone/OS supports have been dropped till date, the phones have continued to function really well for a long time. And I did lose my cool over the Lumia 830 support being dropped – but it’s a 2 year old phone, and I’m guessing it’s support/update cycle was at an end. Hey, at least I got the creator’s update to finish things, which is nice.

So, for those of you who love windows and windows mobile, I would simply say, if devices become cheaper, get something you’ll like, ride it out – for we will not be left out totally until the end of this year or so. For the rest, I share your pain, but I must also give a reality check that windows 10 mobile support will be dropped in the FUTURE. It works right now. Enjoy it while it lasts. I nearly jumped ship when I thought my Lumia 950 XL could not be fixed, but that was a very jarring thought, because it felt like all my life I drove a left hand drive car, and suddenly was being asked to shift to a right hand one. Not terribly difficult, but it’s just not the same.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^Excellent post. Sometimes when you're faced with the reality of forcibly going to Android or iOS is when you realize how much you enjoy Windows on a phone.

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Fabulous thread!

WM, like WP before it, is the best mobile OS, hands-down. If you know Windows, you know Windows Phone.

I have spent hours and hours trying to help my wife find things on her Android, and even with additional apps, it's never as easy as it is on my Windows device. I've owned Nokia, LG, Samsung, Microsoft - and they've all run Windows.

I have had a number of friends and students scoff at the phones (now 950XL as my daily user; Lumia 1520 being repaired), but they become more and more interested as I show them what they can do. it's all about productivity - which if why I love these little 'pocket computers.' And they're also blown away with the live tiles - NOTHING like this in the other worlds.

Yes, the apps problem is a pain, but it's livable. You can be productive AND do virtually all the "cool things" that you can do on a Droid or iPhone.

That's why the next era - whether it be the Surface Phone or something different - is exciting to me. Windows 10 has finally caught on, and its ability to scale down without loss or effectiveness is a boon for people on the go or those who have many devices and need to be seamless between all of them. That's what Windows Mobile does for me, and hopefully that's what the new plan will entail.

My dream device would be something along the lines of the Westworld-style phones, a device with multi-panel screens that can function together as a true computer (along with a Bluetooth Continuum-like interface for larger screens) plus telephony. Having all the new stuff would require new equipment, but people saw what the Surface could do and ditched their iPads. For business alone, this could be a home run for MS.

My $0.02 - YMMV...

Sardoc Spamfish

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
You want a positive thread about Win phones? Ok... Here's a "what I like" list.

- Microsoft was the first (I think?) developer that allowed us to download offline maps and use them on the phone. Sure, until WM10 came, you could only save them to the system drive, but now you can do that to the SD card. That's good.

- One of the veeeeeery few good changes for mobiles in CU was multiple stops in maps app. That's a fantastic change, ideal for picking up friends on the way to somewhere.

- The interface is ok. Plenty of room for improvement, but otherwise doesn't look bad at all. I still want the return of AERO aesthetics (the more the better), though with regulators and on/off switches for those who don't want the eye candy.

That's it I'm afraid. Not as much as I thought there would be, but there you go.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of developers who can create the apps that are missing, we just don't know what apps people want. We need a way to suggest apps and have developers work from that list. I can write the apps, just need some way to know what apps people want.

Maybe we can just create a thread in the Developers Corner?

I'm a stats junky for hockey. None of the hockey apps fill my needs for game stats. What I use today is sofascore and nhl scores & alerts

I love having the box score have lots of stat categories because of my hockey pools. It's great knowing the play by play too.... there just doens't seem to be one app that puts it all together for me :D

Jojordan82

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank God, a little bit of positivism ! I was disappointed these days for reading so many negative articles on Windows central : "Windows Phone is dead, how to switch, Samsung Galaxy S8",etc. I thought even this site had given up on WP !!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank God, a little bit of positivism ! I was disappointed these days for reading so many negative articles on Windows central : "Windows Phone is dead, how to switch, Samsung Galaxy S8",etc. I thought even this site had given up on WP !!!
Hey, if webOS Nation has stuck it out this long then this site will be around till the next ice age.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

THE_Lawnboy

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Which is why I don't spend much time on the r/windowsphone subreddit anymore and prefer the clean, no-nonsense, "just the facts, ma'am" of the r/Windows10m sub.

Wow - that looks nothing like an S8. If Sammy launched anything other than an actual S8 (HAS to have that Infinity display) running W10, it would be seen as a another insult, continuing our second class citizen status. It would be dead on arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:

bebochek

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
I have my Microsoft Lumia 650 dual sim phone and I'm very happy with it. Feels good in my hand, looks nice with the ear piece and microphone pushed to the edge of the screen. Windows 10 Mobile is very fluid and smooth. I love the live tiles! I have all the apps I need. Just very happy with this phone.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I am very glad for this thread. I just re-ordered another Elite X3 after I gave my wife my iPhone 7 plus and I bought a Huawei Mate 9 which once again reminded me that Android is an unbelievably awful system. The ONLY phone I will be trying that will have android on it is the upcoming BlackBerry Keyone and only for the Keyboard because I was a huge BlackBerry fan along Windows (BB10 though). Windows Mobile, compared to Android is so much more well put together. Menus are intuitive, clear, and the home screen is top. I do enjoy iOS but it gets very stale very fast. My main like of iOS is security and privacy. If Windows Mobile had more major apps like banking (I don't give a crap about all the other trendy here today gone tomorrow garbage) then it would be by far the best system, period end.

I am looking forward to the X3 again. Each time I go back to Windows Mobile, it is as if I took that satisfying full breath of air on a clear spring morning.

Last edited:

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

It sure as hell wasn't this website.

Just sayin'.

In the meantime, I am finding new things as far as phone usability. I mentioned in another thread that I hit an epiphany when working with a customer who was using a windows 10 computer with a cellular modem.... that the phone menus matched the computer menus 1:1. This was extremely handy.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I must find something positive about Windows 10 Mobile. I keep buying them. But I came to the realization that the future of Windows 10 on Mobile isn't consumer oriented anymore. We are the only ones hanging on because it's "our platform". Personally I'm still here because I want to see "what's around the next curve". Not because some miracle device will appear and blow off iPhone and Android. It's about the community we have here.

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Dual Sim / Dual Active on my 950XL works great. The 2G limitation hasn't been a problem at all. Unless you absolutely depend on seamless operation of phone numbers from two different countries in both countries, you cannot imagine what a lifesaver this is. My wife and I both love having just one phone each for everything. So many ways Windows could have botched this, but didn't. Its nearly flawless (the only minor complaint is the 2nd sim stuff always uses the cyan color.. wish it was changeable).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas