The case for the S8+

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys -

So I feel I have to write this because in some weird way, I care about my fellow windows phone fans.

I've owned windows phones from Dell Venue Pro, Samsung Focus, HTC whatever, HTC Titan, several Lumias, and ending with the HP Elite x3.
I've seen it all. From the amazing Mango update goodness blessed upon us, to the buggy mess that is Windows 10 today. I've stuck with it through everything guys. I've been very active on windows central article comments sections (less so on the forums). I've convinced so many people to switch to windows, just for them to switch back and never listen to me again lol.

So let me get to my point. My HP Elite x3 broke, so I needed a new phone. I decided begrudgingly to go with the galaxy s8. I've never owned an android phone. It was confusing to me, and the glitch slow mess from 5 years ago still sticks with me today. I was expecting an alien experience from my dear windows phone.
Whoa was I wrong.

So let's get the obvious out the way, Android is more customizable and the app store is like Nirvana compared to the windows store. I mean we all know that right? but as windows fans we say "oh I don't need that app anyway" or we say "Android is buggy and unsecure, I prefer Windows". Look I get it. But honestly we're just fooling ourselves gentlemen/ladies. Android 7.0 and galaxy s8 with its 835 chipset, is leagues beyond any windows phone you've used. Leagues. This is coming from a WINDOWS ******!

Let me tell you about my experience Friday upon receiving this beautiful phone. Aesthetics aside (because trust me, this thing is engineering beauty), the interface is zippy. Apps open in milliseconds. No splash screens at all. You won't see "thinking..." or whatever Windows says when you open apps. You don't know speed if you've been using windows 10. This new phone is effin fast folks.

I instantly wanted my experience with the phone to be familiar. So I found a "launcher" (basically it's like a skin for your home screen, for my non android brethren) called Launcher 10, that gives my screen live tiles. I need to laugh because this launcher is better than what Windows has. The tiles show more information, and you have more tile options... mainly because widgets can be sized like tiles. I also was able to download every major Microsoft app. I've attached my home screen to this post. You'll see it looks very much like a windows phone! Just with the added benefit of having android things like chatheads, widgets, detailed notification center, etc etc etc.

It's like I have a better windows phone now than I ever had before.

Look I can go on and on but I'm at work and should probably be productive. I cant rave about this phone enough. I highly recommend you remaining windows fans to save yourself the stress and disappointment any further. Make the switch.
I still use Cortana, Onedrive, Office, Groupme, Outlook, etc... I still use em all folks. But now I have a better phone.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm here to help you all and help you see the light. I honestly feel like a naïve fool for arguing with android owners all these years. But then I remind myself that Android hasn't always been this awesome. Maybe I hopped over at jus the right time as 7.0 improved everything. Idk what it is.
But anyways... ask me questions yall. I'm here to help during these trying times lol

Screenshot_20170424-143400.jpg

Screenshot_20170424-143408.jpg

Screenshot_20170424-143415.jpg

Screenshot_20170424-143429.jpg

Screenshot_20170424-143433.jpg

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I should add...
I spoke a lot about the OS and customizability of it above. But it's only right I discuss the phone itself

I remapped my BIXBY physical button to launch COrtana instead.

SUper positives about the phone itself: fast charging we're used to, glance screen, easy access to camera, double tap to unlock, samsung pay (especially good for those coming over from elite x3 that did NOT have a tap to pay option), waterproof phone

The ONLY downside I'm seeing right now, is that my contact photos are not syncing with their Facebook photos. Kinda sucks, but there are manual ways to fix that. I'm still researching how to make it seamless like Windows.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's very cool that it looks like a Windows phone. Sometimes trying new things can be good and it sounds like you are pleased with your decision. I wish you the best with the S8+.

Also what color is yours, by the way?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Use sync.me and don't look back. We Windows fans have been spoiled by this contact integration goodness.

Thanks guy, I'll check it out. Amazed that this functionality isn't baked in yet. My android-touting friend was confused why it was such a big deal to me lol.

I'll checkout sync.me right now. After I get that sorted out, this phone is seriously perfect right now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guy, I'll check it out. Amazed that this functionality isn't baked in yet. My android-touting friend was confused why it was such a big deal to me lol.

I'll checkout sync.me right now. After I get that sorted out, this phone is seriously perfect right now.
It used to be. Somewhere around Lollipop they broke it. Don't feel bad, iPhones are the same. I have the same app for my 6S+. I guess this is one small victory for Windows. Now if they only fix LinkedIn integration like they had on 8.1.......

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the great pics Jf, looks impressive. How easily does OneDrive integrate with apps like the camera (auto upload) or photo viewing apps?

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
@Jf.Vigor,

Any updates to this thread 6 months later?

I'm preparing to make my switch from my 950. I've been test-driving a iPhone 6+, and 2 days in, I'm underwhelmed. I see a lot of folks leaning Adroid, and looked at the S8 last night.

I'm kinda in mourning. I see folks talking about how they've been loyal WP users... I've been using Windows since the HP Jornada and Dell Axim days, and switched to whatever was the first cell phone running Windows CE. I've never used any smart phone other than a Windows device, and am staring at this confusing iPhone and wondering what all the hubbub was about. OK, I'm gonna stop whining now, and face facts.

The fact is, I'm looking for the Android phone that I can most completely replicate my Lumia 950 experience: Bing, Cortana, Groove (although that looks like it's headed south too), full Office suite, OneNote, OneDrive for my cloud storage (seamless), Outlook AS my contacts/calendar (not "synced with"), Edge. Oh, and a headphone jack and wireless charging (feel kinda dumb with a wireless charger installed in my desk, and having to plug the iPhone 6 in... Seriously??? Apple is cutting edge?)

I like what you did from what you've shown, and would appreciate your feedback after using it longer. Also, any instructions for specific apps, launchers, etc, you used to get the max Windows feel?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey happy you asked. I still love this launcher. It's familiar to me and made my transition easier to Android. It helps that Microsoft has a lot of apps here. My phone is slowing down over time. Could be all the apps I've downloaded and push notifications and background processes. But overall my galaxy stutters and freezes up temporarily. Wasn't like that the first MOnth. It's not a deal breaker. But it's noticeable. Let's be honest, windows mobile 10 was just as bad. We will never get the consistent smoothness of windows phone 7.5 ever again.

Changes since I began this thread? Well I switched over to Spotify and transferred all my playlist there. Spotify is miles ahead of groove music. I wouldn't have known if I stayed blind and stuck to windows. I am Very happy with spotify. It not only has the same features as groove, minus the one drive integration, but it has More features. I use Facebook messenger for SMS. Keeps everything in one app. I use outlook email and it does the job. I don't have specific outlook needs. I rly just check email and liken to get notified. With the live tiles, I get that here. Feel free to ask anymore questions. I can't post photos from the android windows central app otherwise I'd show you my updated screen now. But next time I'm on pc, I will

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I left android because of the bloat, bugs, stuttering and eventual slowdown that your experiencing. I had a Note 4 when I left android for W10M that was a mess. I guess things appear to have improved since my Note 4. I always wanted a windows phone, but never had the opportunity to try until I switched from Sprint to TMo. I did try Live tile apps on android, but they never worked well. I'll have to try the app your using when I eventually go back to android. I did like widgets, so live tiles plus widgets really has me thinking android again.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
When I left android, I was using all of the MS apps since they were very good. I still prefer W10M OS over android though. My Idol 4S is still fast after 8 MThs. Have you tried rooting your S8 to remove some of the bloat? I used to do that and it helped.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I use outlook email and it does the job. I don't have specific outlook needs. I rly just check email and liken to get notified. With the live tiles, I get that here. Feel free to ask anymore questions. I can't post photos from the android windows central app otherwise I'd show you my updated screen now. But next time I'm on pc, I will

One of the things I appreciate about W10 is the integration between Outlook, People, Text, and Phone. To me it's all "Outlook." When i tried iOS, I was frustrated that those things didn't work as seamlessly. I got it to work, but it was not easy. In my perfect android phone, outlook would be my contacts, and when I opened a text message, it would look in Outlook to identify recipient. Same with caller ID for phone. What do you use?

What about your calendar? Do you use outlook for that?

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm back on Android and using Outlook. My Outlook contacts are syncing with my gmail account. I did have to enable a setting under accounts for my Outlook contacts to sync with gmail. I could not find a setting to enable sourcing contacts from outlook account. Must be baked into Android to use gmail or phone contacts. Maybe MS should develop a dialer and text app that uses outlook contacts. I prefer to use my outlook contacts since that's what I use on my Surface and other PC's. BTW, I prefer Outlook on W10M for a number of reasons.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm back on Android and using Outlook. My Outlook contacts are syncing with my gmail account. I did have to enable a setting under accounts for my Outlook contacts to sync with gmail. I could not find a setting to enable sourcing contacts from outlook account. Must be baked into Android to use gmail or phone contacts. Maybe MS should develop a dialer and text app that uses outlook contacts. I prefer to use my outlook contacts since that's what I use on my Surface and other PC's. BTW, I prefer Outlook on W10M for a number of reasons.
I should probably note that I have an irrational disdain for all things Google that goes back a decade or so. I don't have a Gmail account, don't use a Google search, etch, because I haven't wanted to give them free license to my data. I know I do that with Microsoft, but I trust them more. Told you it was irrational.

Anyway, that is one of the reasons I would like to minimize the use of Android apps, Gmail contacts, etc. Am I basically hosed?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been blissfully ignorant of all things Android since it's inception, and now find myself needing to catch up.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I despise Google as well. I think they are approaching utility status requiring regulation or dismantling. Barriers to entry are almost insurmountable in the mobile space, which is sad because that eventually stifles innovation. Hey, I was an MS hater back in the day when they dominated the OS market for computing. On my new V20, I'm using many MS apps including Outlook, Bing, Edge, Launcher and office apps. Others I use to get away from Google include Here maps, Player Pro, Groove to access my library on One drive, etc. I left android 8 months ago for W10M and now that I'm on android again, I really wish I could find a W10M device that works well on TMo. I'm thinking of buying unlocked Idol 4S in an attempt to replace the non-replacible battery on my TMo Idol 4S. Or buying an X3 and dealing with poor performance on TMo network. Loved the X3 when I used one for a few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon