06-05-2017 08:46 AM
29 12
tools
    Looks like Verizon has a lot of work to do updating its network.
    They do indeed. You should read up on the history of CDMA and Verizon. Ironically, the reason Verizon uses CDMA is because while they were rolling out their network many years ago, CDMA was cutting edge. By the time other carriers were doing it, GSM had begun to take over.

As I said in the other post, CDMA does have some interesting "features". One is better range. Another is soft handoff. If you're moving from the range of one tower into another, it can actually use both simultaneously and move to the "new" tower while still being connected to the "old" tower. From what I've heard, technically this results in better call quality while on the outskirts of range, and also results in less dropped calls.
    Nate W likes this.
    06-01-2017 08:11 AM
    Hi. I posted in the Rumored Phones threads about a new variant of the Elite X3. Anyone who knows FCCIDs or Bands for the VZ network who is also interested in taking a deeper look might be interested. I am almost positive it will be the variant destined for VZW but I am still looking for confirmation. The new FCCID is B94HHF606V.
    Last edited by Nate W; 06-03-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    06-03-2017 10:47 AM
    I have an Icon too and don't really have a choice for service other than Verizon either. The others claim to have service here, but everyone I've known who has anything other than Verizon just complains about it for a while and eventually switches to Verizon. Given there's no current upgrade path for Windows phone on Verizon, my phone is unsupported with updates from Microsoft, there's no word on ANY new phone hardware from Microsoft or even third parties, and I now have a buggy version of 15063.2 with no way to fix it or update it (Believe me nothing works, I've tried soft resets, hard resets, and the WDRT), I'm throwing in the towel and switching platforms.

It's unfortunate, because this has been the most reliable phone (until recently) that I've owned and I really like the UI and the OS. There's just not enough support for it on Verizon or clear direction from Microsoft to make it a viable platform choice for me going forward.
    06-05-2017 06:44 AM
    Interestingly there is an article on Android Central stating how the HTC U11 their new flagship supports VZW without having CDMA onboard. Check out that read. Like posted above CDMA is legacy for the most part and in the coming years VZW will repurpose their CDMA equipment for 5G. Much how AT&T's sunset ended for their 2G equipment more recently.
    06-05-2017 08:46 AM
29 12