Why most of WP users switch to android and not iOS?

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
There overwhelming majority of Windows Phone sales were low end devices as well.

I’m just saying:

when people say android is more popular or Apple is more popular or WP is more popular it’s comparing apples to oranges. It’s like saying Porsche doesn’t sell as much as Honda.

The only difference here is that Apple outsells the similarly priced android devices. So I hardly call them unpopular.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I chose iOS ultimately because I like the more controlled first party style ecosystem. I used a Pixel as well, and that would be the only Android I would use, but I will stay with Apple for the foreseeable future. I like the smoothness, and the way everything effortlessly works.

I like that the iPhones are supported longer not because I have the discipline to keep a phone that long, I generally switch phones at least once a year, but because it keeps resale value high. I know they cost a lot, but if you are a smart shopper you can have the latest and greatest for what I consider reasonable prices when you factor in reselling the old devices.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m just saying:

when people say android is more popular or Apple is more popular or WP is more popular it’s comparing apples to oranges. It’s like saying Porsche doesn’t sell as much as Honda.

The only difference here is that Apple outsells the similarly priced android devices. So I hardly call them unpopular.

Apple might outsell any specific brand, but does it outsell high end Android phones in general?

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Apple might outsell any specific brand, but does it outsell high end Android phones in general?

That’s a good question. All I know is that the iPhone X alone accounted for 35% of all smartphone revenue since it came out. So I’m assuming the entire 2018 iPhone lineup is outselling a large number of premium devices combined sales.

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, not only do iPhones retain value well, they have a longer service life by default.

Right now the iPhone 5s (released mid-2013) is slated to be supported at least through 2019 with iOS 12. (and Apple is focusing on older model performance this time too) Samsung flagships get two-three years of sporadic updates tops. (with random, rare exceptions)

The Galaxy S4 just can't compare to that. For $170-ish I got an iPhone 6s (2015) for my sister and we can expect it to see updates through 2020 or 2021 depending, maybe more. (and Apple hasn't pulled the rug out unexpectedly like many Android OEMs) Performance is still great a couple, almost three years in too.

Sure, you can throw on a custom ROM but you have to make sure you have a non-carrier model, have to verify what chip (Exynos, Snapdragon...) and read a bunch before going about the procedure. And on top of that, once a custom ROM enters the scene, many apps will complain/not function since the bootloader has been unlocked/phone has been rooted (see: SafetyNet) which as a whole adds another layer of headache.

Also iPhones have parts available and most shops can deal with them. Samsung phones, less so especially with the glue-heavy construction of recent Galaxy S's.

I'm assuming the phones won't stop working after they lose official support though. And a person that is happy keeping a phone a long time is probably less likely to care about updates, as long as a phone doesn't become worse to use. I wouldn't care myself as long as function remains (unlike my W10M, where I lost things like the Wells Fargo app, Cortana music recognition, and some other apps and functions).

I just bought the Exynos Galaxy S7 that I mentioned for $221, and should get it by the weekend. My new phone is on Oreo already. I'll Microsoft it following the tips in the following video (Microsoft Launcher, turning off/hiding most Google apps): https://youtu.be/E6ZcauJpP9A
If that works well for me, I don't know why I would care if it can't be upgraded to Android P, Q, R, S, etc.

That custom ROM S9 ROM that I mentioned passes SafetyNet using Magisk, only loses Samsung Pay (but can use Google Pay, not that I'd ever want to pay for anything with my phone anyway).

https://highonandroid.com/android-s...on-for-galaxy-s7-s7edge-or-s8-s8-plus-review/

I won't put on a different ROM right away (possibly never), but it's nice to know that I can. I'll see after I use it for a while. I wouldn't necessarily use all of the additions of the S9 ROM, but the dual speaker and loudspeaker mods, and app pairs look good to me.

As someone who would never be willing to pay the price of any new flagship phone, it would either be a used Android/Apple or cheaper low/mid range Android or maybe the iPhone SE. The S7 seemed like the best choice for me after reading about phones for a couple weeks. My instinct is no Apple. The company is just the anti of my instincts. I don't like luxury brands. Goes for things like cars too... I'm anti BMW, Audi, etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming the phones won't stop working after they lose official support though. And a person that is happy keeping a phone a long time is probably less likely to care about updates, as long as a phone doesn't become worse to use. I wouldn't care myself as long as function remains (unlike my W10M, where I lost things like the Wells Fargo app, Cortana music recognition, and some other apps and functions).

I just bought the Exynos Galaxy S7 that I mentioned for $221, and should get it by the weekend. My new phone is on Oreo already. I'll Microsoft it following the tips in the following video (Microsoft Launcher, turning off/hiding most Google apps): https://youtu.be/E6ZcauJpP9A
If that works well for me, I don't know why I would care if it can't be upgraded to Android P, Q, R, S, etc.

That custom ROM S9 ROM that I mentioned passes SafetyNet using Magisk, only loses Samsung Pay (but can use Google Pay, not that I'd ever want to pay for anything with my phone anyway).

https://highonandroid.com/android-s...on-for-galaxy-s7-s7edge-or-s8-s8-plus-review/

I won't put on a different ROM right away (possibly never), but it's nice to know that I can. I'll see after I use it for a while. I wouldn't necessarily use all of the additions of the S9 ROM, but the dual speaker and loudspeaker mods, and app pairs look good to me.

As someone who would never be willing to pay the price of any new flagship phone, it would either be a used Android/Apple or cheaper low/mid range Android or maybe the iPhone SE. The S7 seemed like the best choice for me after reading about phones for a couple weeks. My instinct is no Apple. The company is just the anti of my instincts. I don't like luxury brands. Goes for things like cars too... I'm anti BMW, Audi, etc.

You're right, phones do continue to function but aging software will show its age as it gets older, no way around that as the environment changes. webOS 2 and iOS 6 don't work as well as they did back in the day relatively speaking as certificates expire, standards are updated, apps drop support etc.

(and believe me, I love legacy gear. I literally have a Palm IIIc in my shirt pocket at this moment.) You can argue that updates don't matter but when it comes to staying ahead of potential threats and the evolving web, updates are key. (granted, Google has offloaded some update importance onto Play Services.)

So I guess the crux of what we've focused on is the importance of updates. Thankfully Android might be best equipped for app support going forward (as Google works on Play Services to compensate for not getting major point versions) so the effects may not be felt for a while. But we might also be focusing on major updates here (P, Q, R, S...) - the monthly security updates are also important in my opinion, but then again if it isn't important to you, it won't factor in. Food for thought I suppose.

As for passing SafetyNet with Magisk, it's a cat-and-mouse game, not one I would bet functionality on long-term frankly, but that's just my personal two cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon