Nadella said he doesn't see need of a 3rd OS, now people don't even have a 2nd OS to choose from

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the 3 new I phones, even lowest priced of them costing $749 and even Android phones costing 1/4th of that cost having better features than them, looks like Apple want to turn off everyone from I phones except for the complete fanboys

Now the market below $500 has got complete monopoly of Android which is not good. It's here people need a 2nd option to choose from as more than 99% of people buy phones in this range only. It's here Microsoft needs to make a comeback with Windows phones. The app gap is not there, it's just that apps are there but need to be updated. UWP has improved Windows store, so a new Windows phone launch, whether it's Surface phone or even a new Lumia, can get those developers to update their existing apps

Nadella said that "he doesn't see need of a 3rd OS", which meant he sees the need of a 2nd OS, now he should give a 2nd OS to people who buy phones upto $500. Killing Windows phone in 2017 was the worst decision taken by Microsoft, rather than that they should be launching 4-5 Lumias regularly covering all categories from $150 to $600+, budget phones to flagships

slyworm93

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I sure do miss windows mobile devices! Been using windows phones since mid year of 2015. If only I knew they existed before... I sure hope they do make a comeback!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's scary now how a $1000 seems normal. So many phones try to copy the iPhone X too with a notch. Where's the innovation? Everyone just copies Apple who just poaches from everyone else. There won't be another third phone OS because people are happy with iOS or Android these days.

MS will never comeback from their mobile failures in the eye of the consumer and that's most likely what Nadella doesn't want to deal with. MS have done a great job with the Surface brand, launching a new mobile device could ruin all that because people will associate the failure of said new phone OS with Surface so sales will plummet and MS will pull the plug.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nadella said that "he doesn't see need of a 3rd OS", which meant he sees the need of a 2nd OS, now he should give a 2nd OS to people who buy phones upto $500. Killing Windows phone in 2017 was the worst decision taken by Microsoft, rather than that they should be launching 4-5 Lumias regularly covering all categories from $150 to $600+, budget phones to flagships
Kindly send your bank account number and routing numbers to Nadella so the losses come out of your pocket.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This has been discussed adnauseam.

You can still buy the L950 series and elite x3, they still do get updates however I would suggest spending as little as possible.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
MS stock is doing very well under Nadella. So killing WP may not have been a bad idea.
Blackberry and Nokia also crumbled....

Btw, I still use my HP Elite x2 and Alacatel Idol 4S

Looking at the 3 new I phones, even lowest priced of them costing $749 and even Android phones costing 1/4th of that cost having better features than them, looks like Apple want to turn off everyone from I phones except for the complete fanboys

Now the market below $500 has got complete monopoly of Android which is not good. It's here people need a 2nd option to choose from as more than 99% of people buy phones in this range only. It's here Microsoft needs to make a comeback with Windows phones. The app gap is not there, it's just that apps are there but need to be updated. UWP has improved Windows store, so a new Windows phone launch, whether it's Surface phone or even a new Lumia, can get those developers to update their existing apps

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Kindly send your bank account number and routing numbers to Nadella so the losses come out of your pocket.

Ok give me same amount of money Nadella has in my bank account. I will make Windows phones succesful. I will do that by launching 3-4 new Lumias and just selling them in Europe & India only without forcing it on USA. Phone market situation is totally different in different countries, something which Microsoft isn't realising

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
It's scary now how a $1000 seems normal. So many phones try to copy the iPhone X too with a notch. Where's the innovation? Everyone just copies Apple who just poaches from everyone else. There won't be another third phone OS because people are happy with iOS or Android these days.

MS will never comeback from their mobile failures in the eye of the consumer and that's most likely what Nadella doesn't want to deal with. MS have done a great job with the Surface brand, launching a new mobile device could ruin all that because people will associate the failure of said new phone OS with Surface so sales will plummet and MS will pull the plug.

People might be happy in USA. Not everywhere. People in Europe & India love Windows phones too

And in India even I phone XR costs $1100. I phone XS costs $1400. I miss the innovations of Nokia Lumia a lot

And Microsoft has to return in mobile if they want to stay relevant. If Microsoft doesn't come back to mobile by end of 2019, even Windows desktop will start to die. Microsoft needs to launch a Surface phone and build a ecosystem around it similar to Apple. And have the ecosystem features in all Windows products whether PC, laptop, tab, phone or watch. That way Surface phones will succeed

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok give me same amount of money Nadella has in my bank account. I will make Windows phones succesful. I will do that by launching 3-4 new Lumias and just selling them in Europe & India only without forcing it on USA. Phone market situation is totally different in different countries, something which Microsoft isn't realising
GIVE you the money? No, earn it like everyone else and let's see how careful you are with your own money. Anybody can be an armchair CEO with other people's money. Look, I use Windows Mobile myself but I'm not deluded enough to think it stands a chance in the current climate. Enjoy what you have for the next 14 months and let's see what happens afterwards.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
While I do understand a "strategic retreat", I do wonder if Nadella, and all there, know that Microsoft HAS TO return [and seriously] to the phone business soon. The penalty for not doing so could be realized too late. It could be the stuff historic corporate stumbles are made of.

To be sure, all this crap that is still happening with Win 10 for the other devices -- endless, often buggy updates and security patches -- has to become stable soon. Right now, the 1809 re-release (still with key issues!) is yet another worrisome headache for many of us in the IT business.

That said, time is running out for a potent phone line-up effort, which would stave off the looming threat to Windows preeminence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon