[Moving Forward] Direct updates from Microsoft After Win 10 Mobile is Installed

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft recently announced that it will be providing updates directly to the users instead of depending on the carriers for windows 10 mobile...! I have a doubt regarding this...as i dont understand that why microsoft didnt do this earlier like for windows 8.1 and denim update? What's the point of relying on the carriers? And why do carriers cancel the updates or delay them?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Direct updates from Microsoft

See also Microsoft says it will control Windows 10 Mobile update releases instead of carriers | Windows Central

It's not the update from 8.1 to 10 but "only" if you already have W10 then the updates for windows 10 come from Microsoft.
Microsoft also indicated that there will be no windows 11 but a continues update of windows 10 if there is a update available so in that respect it makes sense that the updates come from Microsoft.
Now it has to be seen how this turns out but at least I like the idea.

Only carriers know why they delay but not all carriers are delaying an update. In the Netherlands Vodafone released Denim updates for some devices earlier then the same device which had a country variant.
But I guess the "delay" you get due to a carrier is the price you pay for having a carrier branded phone.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

They did do it earlier. For anyone buying a handset themselves, not through a carrier.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

They did do it earlier. For anyone buying a handset themselves, not through a carrier.

True but not every Country Variant and or device with the same CV got it the same time.
Or to make it more clear "When come .... to India"��

codytebaldi

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Carriers delay releases so that they can add their branding to the firmware portion, add their own apps, and disable features they don't support (which unfortunately remain disabled even after the phone is unlocked). I'll be glad when it's no longer carrier controlled.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I myself live in India and fortunately the updates i get are directly from Microsoft insteadof my carrier...! Glad that microsoft is trying to do the same across the globe..! Leaving their users at the mercy of the carriers seems really unfair to me...!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate forum...

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

Because of the ever evolving nature of the new OS, Microsoft finally has a way to leverage the control back from the carriers. They will still be part of the testing loop, but because of Security Patches and Hot Fixes Microsoft can now exert majority influence on the process. If some carriers balk and won't carry Win 10 Mobile devices, watch for Microsoft to double down on Factory Unlocked variants. It's more of the same strategizing that they need to enact to grow faster then the market grows. Previously their growth of mobile has gotten mostly outpaced by how quickly the overall market has expanded.

Direct updates is definitely a marketing ploy as much as an advantage to actual users.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I apologise for posting in the wrong forum..! Really sory! And thnx for the reply:)hope microsoft succeeds in its attempt to gain back some ground in the market..! Hope the carriers support this step!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was having a conversation in Skype chat today with a fellow Ambassador...

First we have your thread theme - Microsoft being more direct in sending updates to devices and I think the time has come for this. After all, Dell sells you a computer, but Microsoft pushes the updates. Why not for phones? Put carriers in the passenger seat and give them input. Just do't give them the keys and let them drive.

Next - the other Ambassador was telling me it looks like there will be a way forward in Windows 10 Mobile (he's on Insider with the latest build) to download Here Maps with cellular data and not WiFi... I think Microsoft really needs this. I'm not sure why downloads is not under your control in the OS and if it has anything to do with carrier pressure of needing their permission to use your data. It's a bizarre setup and I hope Windows 10 Mobile ends the data babysitting once and for all. Not just for maps, but all downloads.

Which those two reminded me that - the Lumia 640 and 640XL are probably the last devices being released until Windows 10 Mobile comes along. Have you seen how some of these variants are set for radio? 10, 12, 14 different LTE Bands enabled. I've never seen such truly world wide capability on a phone before. I believe it is truly unprecedented. It seems like a shot across the bow to some of these carriers. A declaration that Microsoft can and will make a series of Unlocked phones that are plug and play anywhere, on a majority of carriers and with their global distribution they could cut out carrier showrooms.

Maybe Microsoft is tired of carrier control. It has not helped them. Carriers have done more to disrupt Microsoft's place in mobile far more than they have ever helped bolster their position. Might Windows 10 Mobile be a strategy to unlink them from carriers in a very real and lasting way? I hope so.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
... to download Here Maps with cellular data and not WiFi... I think Microsoft really needs this. I'm not sure why downloads is not under your control in the OS...
One reason - bill shock.
As long as many carriers in many territories consider billing data at ludicrous prices, allowing cellular downloads of 100's of MB at a time can lead to a bad experience.​

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One reason - bill shock.
As long as many carriers in many territories consider billing data at ludicrous prices, allowing cellular downloads of 100's of MB at a time can lead to a bad experience.​

That's between me and my carrier. If I don't know how to control my data I pay the price. I've not seen another mobile OS enact a hard coded cap on what you can download via cellular data. Toggle and manually limit, yes? But no allowance for unlimited data is ridiculous and, quite honestly, not the OS maker's liability.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's between me and my carrier. If I don't know how to control my data I pay the price. I've not seen another mobile OS enact a hard coded cap on what you can download via cellular data. Toggle and manually limit, yes? But no allowance for unlimited data is ridiculous and, quite honestly, not the OS maker's liability.

Your carrier would like you to use as much data as possible, as long as you pay for it. Carriers have probably gotten burned by customers using large amounts of data without realizing it, and then they have to make a concession somehow.

That said, I have no clue who is behind the restriction. But the carriers could have a vested interest in restricting mobile data usage. But don't kid yourself; whoever is behind it is ultimately looking out for themselves!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes