4G in India not supported by low end Windows phone?

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
4G in india not supported by low end windows phone, very disappointed :(

I was eagerly waiting for Lumia 550/650 but by the specifications mentioned both does not support most popular 4G band in india, whereas only high end 950/950xl support that.

Samsung was losing Indian huge market but by launching low end 4G phone it came on track in india.

But what heppend to Microsoft ? I thing they really dont want to grow in Mobile market.

http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3

Following are the bands used in India

4G capabilities

LTE 850 (5), LTE 1800 (3), LTE 2300 (40)

I used my friends Jio 4G sim but it said not supported in Lumia 550
Its like I want to close my restaurant but my customers are not leaving me, so i will start serving them low quality, one day they will live me and I can happily close my shop hhh

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: 4G in india not supported by low end windows phone, very disappointed :(

The 550 supports LTE1800(3) according to spec. The 650 spec isn't officially confirmed yet, just the subject of conflicting rumours.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

I just returned from India. The so called 4G in India is lousy.
BSNL is available everywhere but they do not have 4G.
Airtel has 4G but they do not have speed.
Idea cannot boast about 4G cos they are still on 3G.

Being on Mobile Brand where I live with high speed internet on the go, it was let down for me. A simple task like sending a photo through whatsapp took around 10 to 20 secs atleast, in India.

Having this kind of mobile internet speed, I really don't think India needs a LTE or 4G phone at the moment. It will only be significant when the speeds from service providers are genuinely increased.

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes I agree but things are changing with Reliance Jio coming, I have seen it is having extremely well coverage, in all parts of city as well as villages, Jio is not officially launched but Employees have got the sim card and few of my friends are in Jio i have experienced very good coverage and speed but that sim card does not support Lumia 550, as it works on Frequency band LTE 850 (5)

Avishkar Kedari

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Reliance Jio is changing!? Well that's a total joke. I have Lumia 1320 and it supports 1800Mhz band which the reliance jio uses.... but still it cannot connect to their network:angry:

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
It has been 3 months since the last post. Any changes in networks in India?

idea 4G launched in many areas speed when i check with microsoft network speed test are as follows:
download speed: 4.87Mbps...
upload speed: 8.10Mbps
Max jitter: 14ms
Network delay: 606ms
Packet loss: 0.933%

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
what lumia devices need is an OTA update to enable 4g in existing devices with widows 10, few devices were gifted with this update back when windows phone 8.1 update 2 was rolled out.

what i have learned is that if you have got a jio sim pre activated , you can use it in a 3g device too . can someone confirm it please :)

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
If you look at official MS India specs page for the 650 Dual Sim it has support for many 4G bands/frequencies so that should not be a problem. But there are gaps like for example no current Reliance Jio (VoLTE) support (no Jio apps either) in any of the India models at least. Airtel (and others) should work fine.

The 550 has only a few 4G bands so might not have good carrier support - you might not get your cell phone provider's 4G signal.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Precisely why I went ahead with Android phone after 6 months of purchase of 640XL. It didn't support 4G even in that price range and the poor hardware which was no match to nokia

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft did launch variants of mid range devices with lte or 4g support . but because consumers were lacking the knowledge of that led to this confusion and outrage. lumia 640 , 640xl , 730 have a variant with lte support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon