What do you think of DIY Phone Cases?

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
There are plenty of customization options available for phone cases, but rarely do they come cheap. And by cheap, am talking of below a dollar.

So what do you think of creating your own home-made phone cases? Below I am attaching pics of what I made in Kenya with normal cardstock, cost me around 30cents and 5 hours of CAD drawing and prototyping.

Once done, it lasts for more than a year depending on your usage, and after that you can just print the CAD drawing again and cut out another case.

Saves on buying and shipping, is super thin, and fully customizable.

Your thoughts? :)

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
phone cover 3.jpg This is what the net drawing cut out usually looks like.

(ps: the design is NOT free-to-use. If you wish to make your own, kindly consult me beforehand :) )

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 136446

This is the final product on the phone. The decal at the back helps in gripping the phone though being a Lumia 640 with its straight edges its fairly easy to grip on its own.

(ps: the design is NOT free-to-use. If you wish to make your own, kindly consult me beforehand :) )

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...
As per this advice: Who Should Post in Ask a Question? WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 136446

This is the final product on the phone. The decal at the back helps in gripping the phone though being a Lumia 640 with its straight edges its fairly easy to grip on its own.

I'm sorry but I can't see your image. From your first shot, it looks cool. Nice work.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

giphy-downsized-large.gif

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
LOL. You put it out there. People will now copy it.

Yeah, there is that chance of it happening, but I'll just stay positive that people would rather ask than take the idea.

The point of the post was not to share pics, but the idea that there are always cheaper solutions to tech accessories without need for constant machine use and shipping which isnt that good for the environment (embodied energy).

Hope that clarifies :)

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
looks cool. but how do you propose addressing the issue of impact protection?

Good question, i thought about it when I did the design. What I added was the double-layer cardstock in the corners so that the cardboard absorbs the shock if the phone falls down.

So far my Lumia 640 has fallen down about 7-8 times with this cover on, and in different ways - landing straight on the corner, on the edge, smacking directly facedown, bouncing off multiple furniture items and the skittering sliding one.

While I can place the whole indestructibility on the phone cover, I will give credit to Microsoft for making a seriously durable phone with the Gorilla glass screen. :D

I suppose I should make a cover for a samsung and dump it repeatedly on the floor like a control experiment. :p

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Pray do tell, how does design work if you can't showcase it? :p

With "do it yourself" type projects like this, anyone is free to copy, imitate, or learn from your design. It's one of the many benefits of the internet, and this community in particular. We're able to help and learn from one another.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
There are plenty of customization options available for phone cases, but rarely do they come cheap. And by cheap, am talking of below a dollar.

So what do you think of creating your own home-made phone cases? Below I am attaching pics of what I made in Kenya with normal cardstock, cost me around 30cents and 5 hours of CAD drawing and prototyping.

Once done, it lasts for more than a year depending on your usage, and after that you can just print the CAD drawing again and cut out another case.

Saves on buying and shipping, is super thin, and fully customizable.

Your thoughts? :)
Can't we do some great cases if we have a 3d Printer? Can we find the necessary files somewhere?

Cheers

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Good question, i thought about it when I did the design. What I added was the double-layer cardstock in the corners so that the cardboard absorbs the shock if the phone falls down.

So far my Lumia 640 has fallen down about 7-8 times with this cover on, and in different ways - landing straight on the corner, on the edge, smacking directly facedown, bouncing off multiple furniture items and the skittering sliding one.

While I can place the whole indestructibility on the phone cover, I will give credit to Microsoft for making a seriously durable phone with the Gorilla glass screen. :D

I suppose I should make a cover for a samsung and dump it repeatedly on the floor like a control experiment. :p

while i applaud your creativity, i would like to hear a followup at a later time to see how this holds up over time.

people spend serious money on their phones. when they buy cases, it's to protect their investments. i want to know how well this case does that.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
while i applaud your creativity, i would like to hear a followup at a later time to see how this holds up over time.

people spend serious money on their phones. when they buy cases, it's to protect their investments. i want to know how well this case does that.
We can only know that if the OP gives us his opinion in a couple of months from now... But I would also like to know the long term condition of the case.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
With "do it yourself" type projects like this, anyone is free to copy, imitate, or learn from your design. It's one of the many benefits of the internet, and this community in particular. We're able to help and learn from one another.

I agree with you on this, when it comes to standard mass production designs. But in my case (pun intended), the decal design as well as the customized notch design is my own, I had even entered it for a design contest, and as such want to keep it unique. The use of the cardstock to make covers is a free idea though fro everyone. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon