07-20-2017 04:32 PM
37 12
tools
    First, let me say that I am a Microsoft Gold partner, and have been for years. I'm a huge fan and have all Windows 10 devices at home and work. From my phone, to Windows 10 Enterprise, to my three Server 2016's in my server rack at home and many 2012 R2's in my datacenter at work. However, Windows 10 Mobile must come to an end.

My current phone is the HP Elite X3, current on updates (10.0.15063.414) Here is my current bug list:

1. Spotify won't open most of the time and requires a phone reboot.
    2. Screen rotation stops working after a day or two and requires a phone reboot.
    3. Skype makes the phone extremely slow, I have to use the old school SMS Message app. Even when Skype is not in use, if I have opened it at any point after a restart, the entire phone slows way down.
    4. WiFi stops working randomly and requires a phone reboot.
    5. Camera app is extremely slow, only works well right after a reboot.
    6. Many other apps no longer work or are terrible. Even the Facebook app is bad.

I'm at the point now where I just want a phone that works. I feel like many are jumping ship to other phones, can I ask what you are moving to? I have Office 365 and OneDrive is my life, so what phone works best with the Microsoft software packages?
    07-03-2017 08:06 PM
    Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your x3. I have one and I haven't experienced any of those issues. Perhaps it would be a good time to do a WDRT reset. I would also suggest that you set it up as a new device. I've always found that restoring from a backup brings unwanted trouble.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
    07-03-2017 08:15 PM
    Yep, the Spotify app sucks. I've used Spotify, iTunes, Pandora, and Groove. And Groove on Windows 10 Mobile is the singled greatest music listening experience on any platform.
    2. Screen rotation stops working after a day or two and requires a phone reboot.
    I don't have this issue.
    3. Skype makes the phone extremely slow, I have to use the old school SMS Message app. Even when Skype is not in use, if I have opened it at any point after a restart, the entire phone slows way down.
    Yes, the Skype app definitely sucks for messaging. I use the default SMS messaging app. It's better in pretty much every way.
    I don't have this issue.
    I don't have this issue.
    6. Many other apps no longer work or are terrible. Even the Facebook app is bad.
    Yes, the facebook app sucks. But I've heard it basically sucks one every platform. Check out the reviews on the iTunes store or Google Play. No one likes the Facebook app. What other apps are you experiencing issues with? Maybe we can try and help.

On the whole, I agree with @fatclue_98. I think you'd benefit from a hard reset or a reset using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
    libra89 and kaktus1389 like this.
    07-04-2017 09:00 AM
    Just bought an X3 myself. Hopefully it's a better experience than described here. We'll see in a couple days
    07-04-2017 05:28 PM
    First, let me say that I am a Microsoft Gold partner, and have been for years. I'm a huge fan and have all Windows 10 devices at home and work. From my phone, to Windows 10 Enterprise, to my three Server 2016's in my server rack at home and many 2012 R2's in my datacenter at work. However, Windows 10 Mobile must come to an end.

My current phone is the HP Elite X3, current on updates (10.0.15063.414) Here is my current bug list:

I'm at the point now where I just want a phone that works. I feel like many are jumping ship to other phones, can I ask what you are moving to? I have Office 365 and OneDrive is my life, so what phone works best with the Microsoft software packages?
    Have you done any troubleshooting? If so what have you done?
    07-04-2017 05:38 PM
    Though no one has answered your question about phones and seem more concerned about helping you with the X3 issues I'll answer the question about phones.

Basically, any current generation Android or iPhone will work flawlessly with MS services. In some cases, better.

Really comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend. Depends what ecosystem/software appeals to you more as well. With Android there's more choice but there can be hiccups with some devices. With iPhone you get what you get.

I personally use an Android phone but my choice is not a popular OEM. My main reason for choosing them is that their software is very light and they generally make great devices. I own a Sony XZ and I really like it. But that's my personal choice.

If you want some sort of PC experience on a phone then Samsung DEX might be up your alley.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    07-05-2017 03:09 AM

Wow, that's a lot of bugs. Wonder whats going on there?
    07-05-2017 06:11 AM
    Wow, that's a lot of bugs. Wonder whats going on there?
    That poor guy needs a big can of Raid for all them bugs.
    xandros9, CraigCole and Guytronic like this.
    07-05-2017 03:11 PM
    Have you done any troubleshooting? If so what have you done?
    I would imagine he has as he sounds pretty experienced. Would be interesting to hear though.
    07-05-2017 04:16 PM
    That poor guy needs a big can of Raid for all them bugs.
    Maybe MS should give a free can with sale of every device.
    libra89, fatclue_98 and xandros9 like this.
    07-05-2017 04:17 PM
    To the OP - have you updated to the latest firmware? Also, have you posted feedback?

That said, yes Skype on Windows Mobile is not usable as an SMS replacement. Way too slow.
    07-05-2017 05:48 PM

Android is working well for me. I like you am all in with Microsoft. All Microsoft apps work very well on Android.
    07-17-2017 08:14 AM
    All Microsoft apps work very well on Android.
    Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M.

And Cortana is hobbled.

What do you know that I don't?
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-17-2017 04:09 PM
    Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M
    I disagree partially.

While the integration was great - for example a calendar tile and a separate tile for each mailbox that could be pinned to start - the performance was mediocre.

Also, having a combined inbox is fantastic.

Check out the video showing the experience on a Iphone 7+ and a Elite X3

07-17-2017 06:05 PM
    Lol, the video shows a dude opening an email on the X3 and iPhone 7. The Iphone opened the email in like 1/10th of a second faster.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    07-17-2017 06:19 PM
    Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M.

And Cortana is hobbled.

Truth be told, he said they work very well, not better. I'm with you, the native experience is superior in spite of any performance differences. I understand @PerfectReign's video and it's true that the iPhone opens emails quicker, but I'll trade pinned accounts, custom notifications, bi-directional syncing and better contact integration for the 1/2 second speed difference. Let's not even talk about Cortana's broken legs on iOS or Android.
    07-17-2017 07:26 PM
    Fastest shmastest.

I DO NOT WANT Google having their hooks in my personal information so I don't try and integrate with G-calendar or G-mail. Nuh Unh, no way, you can't make me.

And that's what they want to do... Make you let them read all your stuff. I'd rather not even have that stuff on my phone then if Google is ENTITLED to all my emails, contacts, appointments. They want to make me believe they are, but really they are NOT.

So just using the Outlook Mail and Calendar widgets stinks.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-17-2017 07:47 PM
    Fastest shmastest.

I DO NOT WANT Google having their hooks in my personal information so I don't try and integrate with G-calendar or G-mail. Nuh Unh, no way, you can't make me.

And that's what they want to do... Make you let them read all your stuff. I'd rather not even have that stuff on my phone then if Google is ENTITLED to all my emails, contacts, appointments. They want to make me believe they are, but really they are NOT.

I tried looking up "shmastest" in the dictionary and couldn't find it. 🤣
    07-17-2017 08:47 PM

And Cortana is hobbled.

Of course Cortana is second class on Android. I'm talking about Office apps, One Drive and Outlook. Outlook runs just fine, not sure why you would have an issue with it. In fact deleting emails is easier on Android than Win 10 mobile
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-17-2017 09:20 PM
    Fastest shmastest.

MS has thier hooks in too, don't be fooled. No one is transparent on the internet. Do you have a Facebook account? They have hooks too.
    07-17-2017 09:22 PM
    Um, that would be me. I just watched it again. After opening the email, I had to press "download pictures" then wait about three seconds. Just something more annoying.

Now, I did file a bug in feedback some time ago - https://aka.ms/ckvlak

Seems like a reoccurring issue.

Oh and I wanted to post from my 950xl but kept getting a post error.

Wolfjt and xandros9 like this.
    07-18-2017 01:02 AM
    MS has thier hooks in too, don't be fooled. No one is transparent on the internet. Do you have a Facebook account? They have hooks too.
    I'm not fooled. But Microsoft has proven more benign in their post data mining usage, whereas Google is under the impression that the whole evolution of the species is culminated in their absolute RIGHT to serve you ads and that your PRIMARY function in the universe is to suck them up like a sponge. And they want to target, refine, retarget, refine, microtarget until they hone in and hit a nerve. They are relentless, shameless and implacable. I have never been hounded with advertising on a Windows Phone to the degree I am on Android and IMHO even if tales of targeting ads based on the email you just sent are "debunked" I still believe that (like every service from every company) they have bots crawling all over my personal content and IT IS KNOWN that Google's (and Alphabet's) primary revenue stream is advertising. Microsoft's is software and cloud services. Google makes software, yes. But their raison d'etre is serving ads.

Do I have Facebook? No. I'm not insane.

Google lead the charge. Facebook carriers the banner PROUDLY. Twitter is a heavy hitter. These companies are engaged in psyops against the populace in order to manipulate them to their own advantage. Call it tin foil hat conspiracy theory if you want, but I'm not in actual fear. I don't NOT use tech because of it. I'm far from being a luddite. I'm just careful about what baskets I choose to put my eggs in.
    fatclue_98 and Awhispersecho like this.
    07-18-2017 06:56 AM
    Outlook runs just fine
    It runs fine. But it isn't as fully flavored as it is on WP/W10M/in a browser. Ever use the Outlook "Calendar" widget? I put Calendar in quotes because I can't find an actual calendar view. It's just a 2 week list of items you can scroll through.
    07-18-2017 07:04 AM
    It runs fine. But it isn't as fully flavored as it is on WP/W10M/in a browser. Ever use the Outlook "Calendar" widget? I put Calendar in quotes because I can't find an actual calendar view. It's just a 2 week list of items you can scroll through.
    All you need to do is Swipe down and you get the view of the whole month. It's different but very usable and works with no issues. Early on there were issues that is for sure. But it is rock solid now.
    07-18-2017 09:25 AM
    I'm not fooled. But Microsoft has proven more benign in their post data mining usage, whereas Google is under the impression that the whole evolution of the species is culminated in their absolute RIGHT to serve you ads and that your PRIMARY function in the universe is to suck them up like a sponge. And they want to target, refine, retarget, refine, microtarget until they hone in and hit a nerve. They are relentless, shameless and implacable. I have never been hounded with advertising on a Windows Phone to the degree I am on Android and IMHO even if tales of targeting ads based on the email you just sent are "debunked" I still believe that (like every service from every company) they have bots crawling all over my personal content and IT IS KNOWN that Google's (and Alphabet's) primary revenue stream is advertising. Microsoft's is software and cloud services. Google makes software, yes. But their raison d'etre is serving ads.

Do I have Facebook? No. I'm not insane.

Google lead the charge. Facebook carriers the banner PROUDLY. Twitter is a heavy hitter. These companies are engaged in psyops against the populace in order to manipulate them to their own advantage. Call it tin foil hat conspiracy theory if you want, but I'm not in actual fear. I don't NOT use tech because of it. I'm far from being a luddite. I'm just careful about what baskets I choose to put my eggs in.
    Well I understand what you are saying. But again, it's a losing battle to think we are anonymous on the internet. The sad thing is, one would have to go the Apple route to get the most anonymoity.
    07-18-2017 09:27 AM
37 12