10-04-2014 11:16 AM
60 123
tools
    Hi all, I've seen alot of comments about how poor Xbox music is on windows phone, and I have experienced some minor glitches as well. However I have to say that for the most part it has worked very well for me. And that is across my desktop, laptop, surface, iPhone and Lumia.

However - I do not use previously ripped tracks at all anymore - in fact since I have moved completely away from the iTunes store I do not purchase music anymore, don't have to manage all the files on all my devices and even archived all of my old mp3's.

I am totally using xbm as a streaming service and have to say I love it as such, I have had no problems with play lists - I can be in any one of my devices, add music and it is available right away on any of my other devices.

Long story short as a Streaming Service I have really grown to appreciate it.
    This is really the only way to use the service with no issues. Xbox Music does not like existing collections one bit.
    09-28-2014 09:55 PM
    No problems here with Xbox music. All my music comes from my collection.
    All goes through my mp3 tagger and a separate program to embed the album art.
    A folder of playlists on the start screen.
    09-28-2014 10:51 PM
    This isn't the case, as said my collection is two thirds local music, just don't turn on match my local music to the cloud until you are sure of the ramifications.

Bob
    dgr_874 likes this.
    09-29-2014 04:48 AM
    I must be doing it wrong. I have NO issues at all with Xbox Music now. Yes it was clunky for a month or two but that's it. Yes it isn't as pretty looking as Zune or previous Xbox implementation but it isn't bad. I won't be gladly shelling out money for 3 Xbox Music passes in the household if that was the case. I have all my playlists - not a single one corrupted on my Surface, PC and WP that I use daily at work, home and for commute. I am constantly adding things and removing them - they sync as soon as I pick up my next device.

What am I doing wrong here folks?
    Muessig likes this.
    09-29-2014 05:01 AM
    Besides the persistent duplication problem that Microsoft is incompetent in fixing, how it's not compatible with audio books, and searching for good new music that isn't mainstream is impossible, besides that it's okay. One last gripe is that when I pres play and it goes to the screen with the giant album artwork where you can only see that song and the next one, that screen is annoying. Let me stroll through all the tracks, don't just limit it to two with giant redundant album artwork
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    09-29-2014 05:39 AM
    After living with the cracking sound since April, I'm very sure the problem is now gone and yeah, thru the audio output.. no more cracking sound on the Xbox Music and when fast-forwarding video..
    09-29-2014 05:50 AM
    Overall it's better. But I still get random sounds in-between songs. It's such an unprofessional music player.
    09-29-2014 05:57 AM
    Besides the persistent duplication problem that Microsoft is incompetent in fixing, how it's not compatible with audio books, and searching for good new music that isn't mainstream is impossible, besides that it's okay. One last gripe is that when I pres play and it goes to the screen with the giant album artwork where you can only see that song and the next one, that screen is annoying. Let me stroll through all the tracks, don't just limit it to two with giant redundant album artwork
    On that screen, on bottom right corner, hit the symbol with 3 dots and 3 lines. That is list of everything that is being played. If it is album, it will list stuff in album.
    09-29-2014 06:18 AM
    Yes it is bad it has resuming issues am on cyan still it resuming takes time.are there any good music player without resuming and runs in background.
    From Windows phone
    09-29-2014 06:46 AM
    I must be doing it wrong. I have NO issues at all with Xbox Music now. Yes it was clunky for a month or two but that's it. Yes it isn't as pretty looking as Zune or previous Xbox implementation but it isn't bad. I won't be gladly shelling out money for 3 Xbox Music passes in the household if that was the case. I have all my playlists - not a single one corrupted on my Surface, PC and WP that I use daily at work, home and for commute. I am constantly adding things and removing them - they sync as soon as I pick up my next device.

What am I doing wrong here folks?
    Do you have cloud matching of local items turned on ?
    That's seems to be a big one that messes things up

Apart from that my experience was the same until the last update, my phone now refuses to sync (PC & Website both show same info, but not phone)
    09-29-2014 07:28 AM
    Do you have cloud matching of local items turned on ?
    That's seems to be a big one that messes things up

Apart from that my experience was the same until the last update, my phone now refuses to sync (PC & Website both show same info, but not phone)
    Just checked - turned off on all my PCs, laptops and tablets. Can't find it on my phone.
    09-29-2014 09:25 AM
    How do you even get Xbox music on your pc? All I have seen is the website and someone on answers microsoft said it detects songs on your computer?
    Are they talking about the website or a computer app?

I have tried to download it but it asks for a family account and to add a kid, none of which i want to mess with.

I am using desktop app and windows media player to sync files and I'm getting duplicates like crazy which is horrible.

I can only get playlists if i use Windows Media player but then if i use the desktop app again it wipes out the playlists or duplicates them with 0 entries.

Its an absolute nightmare. IS ANYBODY WHO IS IN CHARGE OF WINDOWS PHONE DEVELOPMENT LISTENING??????
    09-29-2014 10:37 AM
    How do you even get Xbox music on your pc?
    ??
    I use the ZUNE desktop PC media player software on my Windows 8.1 computers without any problems. It is still available as a free download from Microsoft. It is amazing software. When you log into your Xbox Music (formerly ZUNE account) the ZUNE software connects and your music, movies, ... are available for your enjoyment. There are curated playlists. Podcasts and auto download too. Great animated visuals. It is the best media software Microsoft has ever made.

It does not sync directly with Windows Phone 8 +. But playlists selected on the ZUNE PC player, show up on your Windows Phone.

Best Wishes.
    09-29-2014 11:09 AM
    How do you even get Xbox music on your pc? All I have seen is the website and someone on answers microsoft said it detects songs on your computer?
    Are they talking about the website or a computer app?

I have tried to download it but it asks for a family account and to add a kid, none of which i want to mess with.

I am using desktop app and windows media player to sync files and I'm getting duplicates like crazy which is horrible.

I can only get playlists if i use Windows Media player but then if i use the desktop app again it wipes out the playlists or duplicates them with 0 entries.

Its an absolute nightmare. IS ANYBODY WHO IS IN CHARGE OF WINDOWS PHONE DEVELOPMENT LISTENING??????
    09-29-2014 02:03 PM
    Xbox music is built into windows 8 8.1 and RT I believe
    09-29-2014 02:04 PM
    09-29-2014 05:40 PM
    Good overview of the service. All the service needs to out class everything is some sort of digital locker (it was promised) to let me play my music that's not available in the store to be matched(Led Zeppelin), some sort of dynamic playlist creation tool with user defined parameters, remove the 5 song purchased download limit, and a rating system. Give me these things Microsoft and my money is yours for the foreseeable future.
    09-29-2014 06:12 PM
    I use the Xbox Music app for my 20GB music collection on an SD card and it works well for me. Right when the new app launched with 8.1, it was a little slow, but now I dont see the lag in scrolling through artists like I used to.

Also, I had an issue in the 8.0 music hub where it would take forever to start playing music when I hit "shuffle" for my entire collection, the 8.1 starts playing my music almost instantly.

One feature I would like to see is free streaming in the WP app, similar to Spotify's free option.
    09-29-2014 06:57 PM
    I use the Xbox Music app for my 20GB music collection on an SD card and it works well for me. Right when the new app launched with 8.1, it was a little slow, but now I dont see the lag in scrolling through artists like I used to.

Also, I had an issue in the 8.0 music hub where it would take forever to start playing music when I hit "shuffle" for my entire collection, the 8.1 starts playing my music almost instantly.

One feature I would like to see is free streaming in the WP app, similar to Spotify's free option.
    Cyan or black update?
    10-01-2014 04:07 AM
    I just tried this, I made sure Xbox music was not in memory by closing it, so starting from the Xbox tile it took THREE seconds from clicking it to actually have sound of the now playing track to come out of the speakers.

Edit:

Just thought I had better test this again, turned phone off, turned it back on an waited 30 seconds after the tiles screen was up to let it settle.

Clicked the music tile choose a track out of recent plays and the music was playing in four seconds as it took an extra second to choose a track.

Second Edit:

Ok I thought I would try a harder test, XBM out of memory, click tile, choose artist, choose album, click on track and this time I managed to slow it down to 5 seconds.

God knows where you are getting your 22 seconds from.

Bob
    sorry to reply late but I was trying to post HD video but anyway this video is enugh to show Xbox music performance.
    Note that I recently got Cyan update & Xbox music update which slightly improve it's performance but still it's a terrible music player I ever used

DMC
    10-04-2014 05:25 AM
    I haven't got the same collection as you, but just went music, list, genres choose an item, choose track about 7 seconds, do you have a large collection and are you talking about local music or streaming?

Bob
    10-04-2014 05:34 AM
    I haven't got the same collection as you, but just went music, list, genres choose an item, choose track about 7 seconds, do you have a large collection and are you talking about local music or streaming?

Bob
    Xbox music service isn't available in my country.
    I used this as a normal music player.

Total number of songs = 143
    10-04-2014 07:10 AM
    Xbox music service isn't available in my country.
    I used this as a normal music player.

Total number of songs = 143
    I can show you how Xbox music is loading on my phone with 421 songs, and it's much much faster than you. Probably because you have a low end device, don't see properly.
    10-04-2014 07:16 AM
    So less than a tenth of my local collection and less than a quarter of the size of my Xbox music collection, it does seem slow in your video but an awful lot of that is down to you moving slowly

What phone is it, has it always been this slow and do you have a PC as well. If you do, have you ever clicked the Automatically add matched songs on this PC to your cloud collection.

Also have you got the songs (I assume MP3 format) on the phone.

I am trying to figure out why it's as slow as it is.

Bob

PS My wife has a low end device a 520 with over 1500 songs and it's still much faster than his so I discounted low end device.
    Silviu Bogusevschi likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:18 AM
    My guess is that he has a ton of apps running in background.
    10-04-2014 07:25 AM
60 123