Is Xbox Music on WP really this bad?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Good overview of the service. All the service needs to out class everything is some sort of digital locker (it was promised) to let me play my music that's not available in the store to be matched(Led Zeppelin), some sort of dynamic playlist creation tool with user defined parameters, remove the 5 song purchased download limit, and a rating system. Give me these things Microsoft and my money is yours for the foreseeable future.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I use the Xbox Music app for my 20GB music collection on an SD card and it works well for me. Right when the new app launched with 8.1, it was a little slow, but now I dont see the lag in scrolling through artists like I used to.

Also, I had an issue in the 8.0 music hub where it would take forever to start playing music when I hit "shuffle" for my entire collection, the 8.1 starts playing my music almost instantly.

One feature I would like to see is free streaming in the WP app, similar to Spotify's free option.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I use the Xbox Music app for my 20GB music collection on an SD card and it works well for me. Right when the new app launched with 8.1, it was a little slow, but now I dont see the lag in scrolling through artists like I used to.

Also, I had an issue in the 8.0 music hub where it would take forever to start playing music when I hit "shuffle" for my entire collection, the 8.1 starts playing my music almost instantly.

One feature I would like to see is free streaming in the WP app, similar to Spotify's free option.
Cyan or black update?

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I just tried this, I made sure Xbox music was not in memory by closing it, so starting from the Xbox tile it took THREE seconds from clicking it to actually have sound of the now playing track to come out of the speakers.

Edit:

Just thought I had better test this again, turned phone off, turned it back on an waited 30 seconds after the tiles screen was up to let it settle.

Clicked the music tile choose a track out of recent plays and the music was playing in four seconds as it took an extra second to choose a track.

Second Edit:

Ok I thought I would try a harder test, XBM out of memory, click tile, choose artist, choose album, click on track and this time I managed to slow it down to 5 seconds.

God knows where you are getting your 22 seconds from.

Bob

sorry to reply late but I was trying to post HD video but anyway this video is enugh to show Xbox music performance.
Note that I recently got Cyan update & Xbox music update which slightly improve it's performance but still it's a terrible music player I ever used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz0OCEwO6-o&feature=youtu.be

DMC

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't got the same collection as you, but just went music, list, genres choose an item, choose track about 7 seconds, do you have a large collection and are you talking about local music or streaming?

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I haven't got the same collection as you, but just went music, list, genres choose an item, choose track about 7 seconds, do you have a large collection and are you talking about local music or streaming?

Bob

Xbox music service isn't available in my country.
I used this as a normal music player.

Total number of songs = 143

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Xbox music service isn't available in my country.
I used this as a normal music player.

Total number of songs = 143

I can show you how Xbox music is loading on my phone with 421 songs, and it's much much faster than you. Probably because you have a low end device, don't see properly.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So less than a tenth of my local collection and less than a quarter of the size of my Xbox music collection, it does seem slow in your video but an awful lot of that is down to you moving slowly :wink:

What phone is it, has it always been this slow and do you have a PC as well. If you do, have you ever clicked the Automatically add matched songs on this PC to your cloud collection.

Also have you got the songs (I assume MP3 format) on the phone.

I am trying to figure out why it's as slow as it is.

Bob

PS My wife has a low end device a 520 with over 1500 songs and it's still much faster than his so I discounted low end device.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Got to admit I am trying very hard not to close apps all the time, I just can't help myself, I suppose it was starting at the beginning of domestic PC use with a computer with 5 1/4 floppies, so memory is precious to me.

Peter Norton (Of Norton anti virus before it became crap) wrote a good book about how memory is like your desk it's where you put what you are working on (Unlike your storage which is of course your desk draws and filling cabinets) and only a slow worker keeps tons of crap on their desk.

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I am using L620.

and it has been this slow since WP8.1 update.
I even tried few hard reset but no luck.

" have you ever clicked the Automatically add matched songs on this PC to your cloud collection"
No

and yes you assumed right it is mp3

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Got to admit I would be thinking of desperate measures.

The device is perfectly capable of handling many more songs and at a speed better than you are getting, my wife has 8.1 and it works much faster.

I take it you have the songs on something else so you could always copy them back if needed ?

One quick question are the songs on the phone or SD card?

I was thinking to start your collection again, but I think you have to somehow make sure things get flushed out of the system properly.

Do you have a PC that you can copy the songs back and forwards from? And if so what OS does it have as in 8.1 etc.?

One other question, how do you have your songs organised, I am into albums so I tend to pick and album and listen to it, I don't know if that makes life any easier?

And I suppose we better ask, do you have lots of apps running in the background or is it as slow after a restart as well?

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is on SD Card (Sandisk Class 10)

I have PC and it has Windows 7.
and
I always use songs list to listen songs and sometime playlist.

and at last
Are you telling that reset my phone again and format SD Card?

Well I have no problem in doing that but I doubt that it will solve my problem.
but yes it's been a while since I format SDCard.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not telling you, you are your own man, but just thinking what I would do, and if it ain't the end of the world it would be worth considering.

But don't jump out the window just yet.

Would it be worth putting some of the songs directly on the phone to see if they work better....

Always try the line of least resistance first as long as it's logical to do it.

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
ok,
I reset my phone, format SD card.

and transfer all songs in phone memory.

it does improve the speed but still taking 10+ to play music.:angry:(between 10-15 secs)

I'll use other 3rd party apps for now on.

thanks for the suggestion.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
No problems mate, shame it doesn't work for you, although you could still speed up your finger work on the phone :wink:

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
No problems mate, shame it doesn't work for you, although you could still speed up your finger work on the phone :wink:

Bob

hahaha...

my fingers are fast enough but if your are commenting this on the basis video then it was little difficult to hold phone on one hand and using other hand to operate phone. I was using my right hand but actually I am left handed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes