Just received the Laptop dock

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Just got the laptop dock in the mail today, got to say build is nice and keyboard travel is nice, the only thing I can say is that its a bit heavy for my liking but its not that bad neither. I know what people may be thinking why pay alot of money for a empty shell and to buy a real cheap laptop but in my case I travel alot and must stay in hotels. Depending on slow Wifi is a chore and its nice to know that I can have internet on the go with my phone since I have unlimited data plus without paying for tethering.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Please let us know your experiences with it as you use it..... I've seen it at the MS Store,, it does look very nice.

Thanks..

-m

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I played with it at the microsoft store and I found the touchpad button annoyingly difficult to use. couldn't see to figure out how to get the pointer to trigger anything to open on my 950XL. The experience on the X3 was a better, but still kinda crappy touchpad. I was told it was because it's a pre production one....

Christian_1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I received it yesterday. The touchpad is less responsive when I use it wirelessly but usable. When used with USB 3.1 wire, It's very fast and works flawlessly.

DaveZChicago

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I had the same experience as Christian -- you want to connect your HP Elite to this device, otherwise when you use the touchpad the mouse motion is rather "jerky" and really annoying. I wish HP had made the lapdock touchscreen, you do need to overcome a lot of muscle memory and learn to do things different when you switch between your phone and the Lapdock -- it doesn't feel "natural".

Also really hoping Microsoft gets the same version of Outlook that's available for iPhone and Android onto their own device soon! A full fledged real email program would make both of these devices a lot more PC like.

Not in love with how you navigate OneDrive, though in fairness I never was -- I'll have to see if using it over time is less irritating. While on a PC I'm more used to going to folders and open docs, it seems more efficient to open word or excel on the Lapdock and then look at your recent documents.

As a side note, I connected my mouse to my phone so I could use a regular mouse with the lapdock and it worked pretty good (although in wireless mode of the HP Elite to the Dock this could be really really jerky, again wiring the Elite to the Lapdock alleviated this).

Overall, coming from a regular laptop this will feel underpowered I think. I have a trip coming up and I'm going to try and abandon my laptop and only take this and see how it works. For a business user (who lives in email, word and excel) this is the right direction -- just not sure if they've gotten quite there yet.

Still have a few times where apps unexpectedly close (the WSJ app kept pausing and randomly closing yet it works fine on the phone). And wish a couple of apps would work with the dock (evernote, are you listening??). Facebook strangely enough opens .... but sideways with half of it cut off.

Also which they'd use the same methods we've learned on PC's. It was nice to see that ALT-TAB works, but I'm really used to right clicking on icons on the task bar and having some action available. The close button in the upper right corner seems to be a little wonky (to get it to appear).

More to follow, let me know if anyone has any specific questions.....

treiz

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Got my lap dock on Tuesday. Works like a charm. I used my phone wirelessly, with Bluetooth headset and mouse and apart from the noticeable hit of battery drain it worked really well.

The only problem I encountered was when I connected the phone by cable. When I physically connected the devices the phone started pushing the audio through the lap dock instead of my wireless headset, and I couldn't find a setting or way to change that.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'll have mine Monday for review. Interesting side note: HP had to do a lot of dev work with the track pad as Microsoft didn't really create drivers for such a scenario yet. It's one of those things that was co-developed as the hardware was being made. I know HP was working up thru October on trying to solve problems with the experience and I imagine it will get better over time. It's just one of those 'holes' in the game right now that will get better in time.New paradigm of computing means some rough spots out the gate. Glad to hear it works better wired.

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Quick update I usually was using the laptop dock wirelessly but since continuum runs smoother using a wired connection I started connecting the phone to the laptop dock using the usb c cable. I noticed that the phone would run hot and I thought well maybe is due to its charging the phone but my phone is losing charge. The phone is showing that its charging but its actually losing the charge makes no sense, all I am using is the web browser.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The phone is showing that its charging but its actually losing the charge makes no sense, all I am using is the web browser.
I see this too, which is odd since it should be QC 2.0 IIRC (maybe even 3.0), but it definitely does not charge that fast even when in standby. I'll ping HP and see what's up. Could be a firmware thing, but I can't find any newer firmware on HP.com either.

Christian_1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i noticed that the phone seems to be charging when the lap dock is connect to AC power.

Also, I'm having issues with HP Device hub app. I can't see the lap dock in the HP Device Hub. I connected the USB C wire and AC power but the lap dock doesn't appear in the list, I see only my phone. When I dock the phone in the desk dock, I can see both my phone and the desk dock. But when I connect my phone in the lap dock, I don't see the lap dock listed in the device hub.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Same issue on my end - I pulled the documentation from HP and it appears the updates for the dock are done through device hub. The issue I have is device hub doesn't show my lap dock which is strange.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
In using the Lap Dock today I find that the charge can hold/maintain and in some cases slowly gain. But I have also seen it the other way (depends if you run the HP Display Tools too).Few things: I think this will get better once MS lets you turn off the phone's display during Continuum. Ther other is I was wrong about Quick Charge being on board, it's not. Just a standard charge is coming in, which helps explain some of the gains/losses. I also think what you do on it (how taxing of the CPU) will affect the battery charge/discharge situation.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Love this thing the more I use it, reminds me of the HP Spectre - super slim, light, but solid construction. Working off this exclusively next week from Las Vegas and dying to see how it works with no fall back.

Candy_girl2008

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Just brought the X3 holiday bundle include the lapdock...Love the X3,only 1 thing make me so mad that cant connect the X3 to the lapdock :(
I dont know the X3's problem or lapdock's problem?Need help,thanks

Ken Nye

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I just got the lapdock yesterday and my x3 reboots every 5 min or so when I'm plugged in.
When I'm wirelessly connected, they touchpad is to hard to use..
Anyone else have the rebooting issue?

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
For those of you who already received your lap dock: is the screen covered by glass (like most modern touchscreens on laptops)?

Why do I ask? Because I noticed that the "future Continuum direction" video showed Continuum with touch screen support.

I know that HP has not advertised touchscreen support on the lap dock and we cannot expect the lap docks to magically gain touchscreen capabilities via a firmware update. But still I'm personally curious if there's a chance that an unadvertised touchscreen is built in, as that would really make the lap dock an amazing accessory and complete the "x3" vision.

Of course this is all 100% speculation. I'm just excited about the x3 family and the future of Windows 10 :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Why do I ask? Because I noticed that the "future Continuum direction" video showed Continuum with touch screen support.

There is no touchscreen hardware on the Lap Dock.

I should also mention that touchscreen support for Continuum already arrived with the Anniversary Update.

Last edited:

RicaChero

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I just bought one as a present and I'm going to use the lap dock for myself. Everything is just wonderful for me. The transaction price and even the lap dock quality. However, I'm noticing that I need to update the firmware on the Dock. I don't want to open the HP elite X 3 until Christmas. Would one of you be kind enough to post here. The link shared from the HP Device Hub app.?

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I should also mention that touchscreen support for Continuum already arrived with the Anniversary Update.

Oh! That's great news! I just saw that the Anniversary Update also includes the ability to use Windows 10 (Anniversary Update) PCs as the display for the phone--so hopefully that's a good way to test our apps under this scenario.

I suppose it is a great thing that Windows 10 is evolving so fast that we can't keep up with all the new capabilities. Thanks for keeping us all up to date and for the clarification, Daniel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes