05-29-2016 12:44 PM
66 123
tools
    Is it too much to hope for another Touchpad-esque fire sale? :) (Smiley face added so people know that joking)
    ven07, Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    02-23-2016 11:28 AM
    Microsoft does have a Crisis in it sales Department because they made the huge Mistake of offering Their sole flagship smart phones the MS Lumia 950 and 950XL only to their FAVORITE USA cell phone Carrier. Folks Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG,and HTC and others will not execute such a FAILED policy. In Business you have have your product in as many places as possible to get Customers to buy them. There were Verizon, T-mobile and even some Sprint Microsoft windows smart phones buyers left Out in the cold they wanted to buy a Flagship Microsoft smart phone that worked on their network. MS VP Mr Panay and his team have to be like Apple and the big Android smart phone sellers and make USA Multi Carrier bound Flagship Windows 10 mobile smart phones so as many American customers as possible can buy it from the USA carrier they use. Surely Microsoft can design and make ONE model Flagship Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile smart that ALL USA Carriers SELL..
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-23-2016 11:35 AM
    Tbh I'd like to Sony give it a go
    Why? So it can fail? The only thing Sony has going for it these days is the PS4. It's other departments and what not have been decimated.
    02-23-2016 11:45 AM
    As far as the Surface Phone, I wouldn't proceed with it if I were Microsoft. If Microsoft proceeds, with the Surface Phone, it would create competition with the Elite X3 in the business area, depleting sales of the Elite X3. I would think Microsoft would want to support HP and not hamper their vision. They can afford to do compete with the Surface Book because the laptop space is sound, not so for the phone space.

If anything comes of the Surface Phone, I would recommend that Microsoft brands a version of the HP Elite X3 as the Surface Phone. The production pipe will be already hot, you get your Surface Phone and HP gets to make it with near identical features but with a different skin.
    As @etphoto said, there is a discussion on the Thurott website explaining why the SP could still make sense. However I do understand what you're saying and that was the reason for starting this thread.

I would still like to see the surface phone tho which is why I'm betting on a Q4 release. Gives the others enough time to get their things going, gives the 550/650 and 950's enough time to sell a bit. The SP won't be the savior of this platform lol, but like techfreak1 said, the bar has been set pretty darn high and MS can either go over it or under it...

If anything I would say Continuum/docks are the topics keeping WP and the UWP in the news
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-23-2016 12:03 PM
    I'm going here... The Surface Phone will be the first Lumia that runs X86 programs... Yes, there we go. It will be announced early next year and virtually be the Surface Pro with a 5-6" display and specs to match. It will also run $1000 unlocked to work with GSM carriers (and hopefully Verizon in the US) with a special enterprise edition for Sprint (they have a large amount of government contracts here)...

I'm going with a solid machined aluminum body, 5.7" 4k display, 20MP camera/scanner with built in PDF/DOC converter, 8MP front for video calling, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, 2TB SD card and OTG support, as well as a 4000mAh battery for longer life. For those that think this is impossible, remember the 8" Windows 10 Tabs that already have most of this built in that aren't much bigger than a phablet like this. The kicker to it all, is that it will not run Windows 10 Mobile - it will be a full Windows 10 device running tablet mode for mobiles.

There, I said it... Not this year, but it will be worth the wait! I hope...
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-23-2016 01:50 PM
    I'm going here... The Surface Phone will be the first Lumia that runs X86 programs... Yes, there we go. It will be announced early next year and virtually be the Surface Pro with a 5-6" display and specs to match. It will also run $1000 unlocked to work with GSM carriers (and hopefully Verizon in the US) with a special enterprise edition for Sprint (they have a large amount of government contracts here)...

I'm going with a solid machined aluminum body, 5.7" 4k display, 20MP camera/scanner with built in PDF/DOC converter, 8MP front for video calling, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, 2TB SD card and OTG support, as well as a 4000mAh battery for longer life. For those that think this is impossible, remember the 8" Windows 10 Tabs that already have most of this built in that aren't much bigger than a phablet like this. The kicker to it all, is that it will not run Windows 10 Mobile - it will be a full Windows 10 device running tablet mode for mobiles.

There, I said it... Not this year, but it will be worth the wait! I hope...
    JB said it will more expensive than the IPhone
    02-23-2016 03:58 PM
    Microsoft does have a Crisis in it sales Department because they made the huge Mistake of offering Their sole flagship smart phones the MS Lumia 950 and 950XL only to their FAVORITE USA cell phone Carrier. Folks Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG,and HTC and others will not execute such a FAILED policy. In Business you have have your product in as many places as possible to get Customers to buy them. There were Verizon, T-mobile and even some Sprint Microsoft windows smart phones buyers left Out in the cold they wanted to buy a Flagship Microsoft smart phone that worked on their network. MS VP Mr Panay and his team have to be like Apple and the big Android smart phone sellers and make USA Multi Carrier bound Flagship Windows 10 mobile smart phones so as many American customers as possible can buy it from the USA carrier they use. Surely Microsoft can design and make ONE model Flagship Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile smart that ALL USA Carriers SELL..
    I agree with what you said here, but i'm not sure if you guys even realize how little effort MS makes to sell their products here in Europe! It is restricted to one carrier in the US, but here some products are not even available to buy, and you can't ever see them being advertised, with the exception of cheap, budget things (currently Lumia 550 is advertised by carriers, not by MS)
    waazzupppp likes this.
    02-23-2016 04:38 PM
    It will be announced early next year
    Early next year? :/ People will prolly kill MS if they do that
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-23-2016 10:30 PM
    Question relating to this topic and Verizon. If memory serves me correctly, Verizon will soon migrate away from CDMA to a more GSM type base. That said, all the discussion here about a specific need for the HP and MS Surface devices sort of goes away. True, the timing for Verizon to do this is critical. From my reading here and other places, Verizon has a great deal of their business tied to the Enterprise market. I can't see them holding onto CDMA any longer than necessary.

Not trying to interrupt the OP's posting but it appears to me the potential loser here would be Verizon unless they react in the next few months to open their network to the world standard and that ain't CDMA. Maybe HP and MS can now force Verizon to join the real world.
    Guytronic, ven07 and RumoredNow like this.
    02-24-2016 08:15 AM
    I think the X3 with those pins is meant to be the 'brains' of other devices like barcode readers, those electronic paper pad things you sign on from messenger and delivery services. I think the Surface phone will appeal to a different audience. I just think the X3 is specific device that will run specific machinery. HP is probably making companion devices for it right now, along with other manufacturers...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-26-2016 09:17 AM
    Question relating to this topic and Verizon. If memory serves me correctly, Verizon will soon migrate away from CDMA to a more GSM type base. That said, all the discussion here about a specific need for the HP and MS Surface devices sort of goes away. True, the timing for Verizon to do this is critical. From my reading here and other places, Verizon has a great deal of their business tied to the Enterprise market. I can't see them holding onto CDMA any longer than necessary.

Not trying to interrupt the OP's posting but it appears to me the potential loser here would be Verizon unless they react in the next few months to open their network to the world standard and that ain't CDMA. Maybe HP and MS can now force Verizon to join the real world.
    From everything I've seen, Verizon is not going to go to a GSM standard as that would cost them billions upon billions of dollars to refarm their bandwidths. What we are currently seeing is the roll out of their Advanced Calling technology, which is essentially voice over data. It uses the same principle as Wi-Fi Calling, but uses the Verizon LTE network as the backbone. They then route the data call to hard lines and your call is placed. This is why data works in newer devices with advanced calling activated, but not when you have the old CDMA voice network activated.

I think VoLTE is the wave of the future and it will only get better with stronger 5G networks rolling out. This with the fact that Wi-Fi is becoming more and more available with services like Xfinity Wi-Fi, it only makes sense that CDMA's days are numbered.

Just my thoughts, but man, I still want to play with an X3 really bad!
    aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-01-2016 01:28 PM
    Hell, I'm getting one of these as soon as humanly possible. Unless there is a Surface phone released or at least announced (with better specs - and that includes at >>>least a 6" screen<<<) before GA.
    My thoughts exactly! So far it's the only phone worthy of replacing my Nexus 6.

Sent from mTalk
    03-03-2016 04:25 PM
    Once I saw the specs of this phone, I looked no further..... A polished os and a couple of apps is all I need by the time this releases
    03-03-2016 07:03 PM
    Last post on this thread was 3-3-2016 = anyone have any more info?

Perhaps SP was impacted by Intel's latest decision?

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-kills...imbo-02438387/
    05-14-2016 10:28 AM

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-kills...imbo-02438387/
    Lol, I was never really interested in running a full pc from a phone and I doubt we'll be seeing that anytime soon. That fact becomes even more obvious with Intel giving up on their mobile efforts. I think Microsoft will still use arm based chips together with continuum and uwp strategy
    05-15-2016 11:45 AM

Intel kills Atom, smartphone, tablet future in limbo - SlashGear
    go to http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-...ilability.html and ask
    05-29-2016 12:44 PM
66 123