From a Lumia 950 to the Elite X3

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just moved from the XL to the X3 yesterday. I was going to do it, no matter what. here's my first thoughts in comparison
-XL is faster but the x3 is smoother. I expect firmware tweeks will increase the speed and flow....just like the XL
-after 24 hours, the batter does not exhibit the normal first week battery breakin. So far, no unusual rundown. Has Beast potential
-Continumm is what you make of it.
-Sound was excellent
-Call quality is excellent
-Connectivity, as in signal, is better for me than the XL
-Camera is broken...but everyone knew that
-Look, feel, touch...more iPhone-ish that Windows Phone ish
-Fingerprint reader works fine on AU. I'm disappointed in the reader in that I expected to be able to link other login functions to it, like Android and IOS. Maybe I'm missing it.

Overall, I like it. I'll like it more after the firmware update. Camera and speed are 2 areas of improvement. Daniel mentioned how to prevent the camera from blowing up...that works, most of the time.
Would I buy it again...yeah

Regarding statements around the Plastic grill and 'having lots of problems'...the grill is fine. It is what it is. People that say the grill is a deal breaker are only fooling themselves. Its no better or worse than any other phone. You like, you don't like, fine, whatever. As far as lots of problems...well...I see few. My treasure might be your nightmare, The Note 7 blew up...the iPhone 7 wouldn't work on T-Mobile. Lets compare.....

So far...I like....

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The Elite X3 is having lots of problems...so patience.

I disagree with this. There are not "lots of problems" there is basically one: the camera and stability, which can be solved on RS2 (although that is a drastic solution until new firmware).

I've been using it as my daily driver for the last 12 days, no issues. Just great battery life, awesome display.

cadoresg

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
My experience is the same as Daniel. Great device. Daily driver on latest RS2. No trouble other than one update issue. Problem solved in 5 minutes by checking out this forum.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Is RS2 out? I thought it was delayed for a few weeks, especially for that device.

What is the version? Wonder if it is higher it lower than 14926 that I'm running on the 950xl.

Sent from mTalk

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 950 xl /950 is already 1 year old since its launch. To stay updated on the latest flagship and on hardware, you should move on to X3. The spotlight is currently on X3 with the new SD 820 processor and 4 gb ram, and with inbuilt LED which is expected to be enabled later with a firmware update. There should be no doubt on moving to Elite X3 , just do it :)

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I would wait for Surface Phone, it should be announced at Microsoft conference on October

It may be announced in October, but most people seem to agree that it wouldn't be released until like April next year, if not later. Most people are not going to want to wait 6 months if they're considering the x3 now (especially seeing as we have no idea what the Surface phone will actually be, or if it's any good).

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Maybe wait for a while until some of the issues like the camera is solved. You don't need to rush it since most of the difference between a 950 and the x3 aren't groundbreaking in terms of using it daily, for now. After all the issues are resolved, then consider getting one.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
you are already running the latest RS2 insider build :)
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I've got the X3 supposedly heading my way soon. I would have it already but my credit card declined the august authorization as it was an "unusual amount".

One thing I noticed both Apple and Samsung do exceedingly well is announce then ship. Microsoft still seems stuck in the vaporware era of announcing but not shipping for months. Nit going to wait for the surface phone, if it even exists.

Just asked my Microsoft TAM again yesterday. He's got no knowledge of it.

Sent from mTalk

StarLord0890

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
X3 is unavailable right now anyway....i suggest u wait till the Microsoft conference in October to see what comes out of it.....ull have more info to base ur decision on

Sent from mTalk

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Daniel,
For those on RS2, will they still be able to update firmware OTA? Or will WDRT be necessary?
Originally posted by Daniel Rubino
Originally Posted by Roderick Aspiras
The Elite X3 is having lots of problems...so patience.

I disagree with this. There are not "lots of problems" there is basically one: the camera and stability, which can be solved on RS2 (although that is a drastic solution until new firmware).

I've been using it as my daily driver for the last 12 days, no issues. Just great battery life, awesome display.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, unless a fingerprint reader is worth $800 to you, I wouldn't bother. You lose glance and the performance/battery, even on RS2, is pretty horrid.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, unless a fingerprint reader is worth $800 to you, I wouldn't bother. You lose glance and the performance/battery, even on RS2, is pretty horrid.
But that is always the point. At what point is it worth it? People asking that question have no place here in these forums, because they don't change phones...they stay on their phones until they fall apart. Being worth it never factors into my decision making tree. Its the newest, I'm getting it.

What many people are forgetting is, the is marketed as a Business phone. There are no iPhone/Nexus comparisons here. No Glance, so what. Cool consumer feature[insert feature here], not interested. Remember that when considering.

For me, I love the fingerprint reader. I love the bigger battery. And the shell is much better than the 950xl. I now have a phone that looks and feels pretty good, has an OS I like, can interchange between work and many consumer features, but not all, and lasts all day and part of the next doing my usual stuff. And, this is the biggest thing....doesn't blow up...(yet)

That's pretty good for me...until the next great hope comes out....and I'll buy it...sight unseen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon