Is this phone Glance Screen capable?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If I'm remembering correctly last week's podcast, it's capable but HP chose not to enable it. Daniel asked the HP guy about it towards the end.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I for one certainly hope that they implemented in the future.

At this point the lack of double tap to wake is one problem, and the other problem being the lack of this feature.

It is so much easier to just glance over at the screen at night when it's on the charging stand and see if there are messages waiting or not, and coupled with the lack of double tap to wait it's just extra work to not have

Anybody else miss this feature?

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes. This was the best feature W8/10 had, but a long shot. Being able to, wait for it, glance at the screen at dinner or in meetings and see if I have new emails, texts, etc without there being an obtrusive screen wake or sound was a feature every smartphone needs. Now Samsung has stolen it... and as much as I hate samsung devices, I envy their always on notifications.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. Is there some sort of person or entity that we can send feedback to for HP?

Although it's not a deal killer, it is certainly a very big negative that makes an otherwise good product that much less functional for what it needs to be.

Especially good at night when it was on a charging stand and glanced screen time was in red to be able to check the time whether at home or traveling.

Come on HP!

What can we do to get you to implement this very important feature!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Worth noting it was a Lumia-specific feature only implemented by Nokia and then Microsoft. I'm sure the X3 is capable but that would take extra effort on the part of HP to make it happen.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope HP understands that if they want to sell these phones they need to have as much capability as possible.

This feature as well as tap To pay our features that I will expect from my device, and certainly would cause the potential shift away from Windows phone in the long run especially if Sammy has those features and Windows phones do not

There are already enough negatives about Windows phones to keep people from either buying in or having them jump ship. Don't need more loss of functionality with the newest devices.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
The device needs an AMOLED display, which it has. Considering an end user can implement this on android devices that don't support it in about 4 minutes, I can't imagine it would be much of a struggle for a dev at HP to get going. Just have a warning; "this will drain your battery".

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The device needs an AMOLED display, which it has. Considering an end user can implement this on android devices that don't support it in about 4 minutes, I can't imagine it would be much of a struggle for a dev at HP to get going. Just have a warning; "this will drain your battery".
I do realize it has a battery drain effect,. When it was not being charged I would have glance screen shut off after about a minute

My 950 XL lasted pretty well configured this way

Option to keep it on all night if it's on charging was the best part because battery issue becomes moot

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Just listened to the podcast again, it's at the 44 minute mark. The reply from Michael at HP is wishy-washy and he alludes to security concerns. But nothing that indicates it's incapable of supporting it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Interestingly enough LCD-equipped Lumia's like the 920 and 830 work just fine with it while MS deemed AMOLED-equipped Lumia 930 and 730 as incompatible which is interesting.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
By the way, Ny son's Note 7 (and now S7 Edge) has glance screen. Not Lumia specific.

Sent from mTalk

That's not Glance. Android does indeed have comparable features like Ambient Display but it's ultimately up to HP to create that feature but know that historically in Windows Phone-land, Lumia's were the only ones to have Glance. Only Nokia phones had Glance.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Well they call it "glance" and it is the same - IMO better - functionality. Not enough to make me to back to Android, but nice nonetheless.

2SNHTsJ.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well they call it "glance" and it is the same - IMO better - functionality. Not enough to make me to back to Android, but nice nonetheless.

Sent from mTalk

Samsung does not call it Glance, they simply call it "always on". It's found under Settings>Display>Always-on display as you know, but AOD is its name. While similar to Nokia Glance, my hunch is they likely use proprietary methods to enable and manage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon