Really miss seeing time and notifications when on charging stand.
    10-27-2016 08:27 AM
    If I'm remembering correctly last week's podcast, it's capable but HP chose not to enable it. Daniel asked the HP guy about it towards the end.
    10-27-2016 08:36 AM
    Well I for one certainly hope that they implemented in the future.

At this point the lack of double tap to wake is one problem, and the other problem being the lack of this feature.

It is so much easier to just glance over at the screen at night when it's on the charging stand and see if there are messages waiting or not, and coupled with the lack of double tap to wait it's just extra work to not have

Anybody else miss this feature?
    aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-27-2016 09:46 AM
    Yes. This was the best feature W8/10 had, but a long shot. Being able to, wait for it, glance at the screen at dinner or in meetings and see if I have new emails, texts, etc without there being an obtrusive screen wake or sound was a feature every smartphone needs. Now Samsung has stolen it... and as much as I hate samsung devices, I envy their always on notifications.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-27-2016 09:56 AM
    Totally agree. Is there some sort of person or entity that we can send feedback to for HP?

Although it's not a deal killer, it is certainly a very big negative that makes an otherwise good product that much less functional for what it needs to be.

Especially good at night when it was on a charging stand and glanced screen time was in red to be able to check the time whether at home or traveling.

Come on HP!

What can we do to get you to implement this very important feature!
    10-27-2016 10:16 AM
    Worth noting it was a Lumia-specific feature only implemented by Nokia and then Microsoft. I'm sure the X3 is capable but that would take extra effort on the part of HP to make it happen.
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    10-27-2016 10:48 AM
    Well I hope HP understands that if they want to sell these phones they need to have as much capability as possible.

This feature as well as tap To pay our features that I will expect from my device, and certainly would cause the potential shift away from Windows phone in the long run especially if Sammy has those features and Windows phones do not

There are already enough negatives about Windows phones to keep people from either buying in or having them jump ship. Don't need more loss of functionality with the newest devices.
    10-27-2016 11:10 AM
    The device needs an AMOLED display, which it has. Considering an end user can implement this on android devices that don't support it in about 4 minutes, I can't imagine it would be much of a struggle for a dev at HP to get going. Just have a warning; "this will drain your battery".
    10-27-2016 11:58 AM
    The device needs an AMOLED display, which it has. Considering an end user can implement this on android devices that don't support it in about 4 minutes, I can't imagine it would be much of a struggle for a dev at HP to get going. Just have a warning; "this will drain your battery".
    I do realize it has a battery drain effect,. When it was not being charged I would have glance screen shut off after about a minute

My 950 XL lasted pretty well configured this way

Option to keep it on all night if it's on charging was the best part because battery issue becomes moot
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-27-2016 12:03 PM
    Just listened to the podcast again, it's at the 44 minute mark. The reply from Michael at HP is wishy-washy and he alludes to security concerns. But nothing that indicates it's incapable of supporting it.
    10-27-2016 12:25 PM
    Is there an email or Twitter account for him that we can all let him know how much we would like to have this functionality
    10-27-2016 12:51 PM
    Totally agree. Is there some sort of person or entity that we can send feedback to for HP?
    feedbackhp.jpg
    abhishek singh21 likes this.
    10-27-2016 05:28 PM
    Interestingly enough LCD-equipped Lumia's like the 920 and 830 work just fine with it while MS deemed AMOLED-equipped Lumia 930 and 730 as incompatible which is interesting.
    10-27-2016 06:02 PM
    HP please realize that this function is great for travelling businessman, and double tap to wake on this phone needs plenty of work!
    10-27-2016 06:23 PM
    Thanks!!
    10-27-2016 06:25 PM
    it should support glance screen, maybe HP is just holding it back for future release after they get enough upvotes or requests from the community.
    10-29-2016 07:50 AM
    By the way, Ny son's Note 7 (and now S7 Edge) has glance screen. Not Lumia specific.

Sent from mTalk
    10-30-2016 01:30 AM
    By the way, Ny son's Note 7 (and now S7 Edge) has glance screen. Not Lumia specific.

Sent from mTalk
    That's not Glance. Android does indeed have comparable features like Ambient Display but it's ultimately up to HP to create that feature but know that historically in Windows Phone-land, Lumia's were the only ones to have Glance. Only Nokia phones had Glance.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-30-2016 12:28 PM
    Well they call it "glance" and it is the same - IMO better - functionality. Not enough to make me to back to Android, but nice nonetheless.

Sent from mTalk
    10-30-2016 11:34 PM
    Well they call it "glance" and it is the same - IMO better - functionality. Not enough to make me to back to Android, but nice nonetheless.

Sent from mTalk
    Samsung does not call it Glance, they simply call it "always on". It's found under Settings>Display>Always-on display as you know, but AOD is its name. While similar to Nokia Glance, my hunch is they likely use proprietary methods to enable and manage.
    10-31-2016 09:51 AM
    Samsung does not call it Glance, they simply call it "always on". It's found under Settings>Display>Always-on display as you know, but AOD is its name. While similar to Nokia Glance, my hunch is they likely use proprietary methods to enable and manage.
    Thanks Daniel, I just listened to your podcast as well and previous poster is correct HP rep had kind of a vague answer.

Whatever they call it it is one of the nicest features of Lumia 950 XL and I really miss it

I have left feedback for them but whatever you can do to help push this along with your power and influence would be appreciated

Don't you miss feature as well?
    10-31-2016 10:50 AM
    Thanks Daniel, I just listened to your podcast as well and previous poster is correct HP rep had kind of a vague answer.

Whatever they call it it is one of the nicest features of Lumia 950 XL and I really miss it

I have left feedback for them but whatever you can do to help push this along with your power and influence would be appreciated

Don't you miss feature as well?
    I miss a lot, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    10-31-2016 03:31 PM
    Interestingly enough LCD-equipped Lumia's like the 920 and 830 work just fine with it while MS deemed AMOLED-equipped Lumia 930 and 730 as incompatible which is interesting.
    Presumably the type of display (AMOLED, LCD) only affects how much power is drained from the feature for the screen portion only - AMOLED being considerably lower due to the drain involved for displaying black

I think the main issue would be the graphic chip and related hardware driving the display as to whether or not the feature can be enabled. i.e. supporting a low powered state

Samsung's "always on" feature was only made possible by making everything run in a low powered state, reducing the frame rates and limiting colours used to 8 with active switching if more is needed. Also disabling the feature if sensors detect you're not going to be using it, i.e. in pocket.

If i remember from my 1520, glance would turn off after a period and I would just have to sweep my had over the top of it to get it to show again.

I would therefore assume Nokia made use of certain low energy states and have certain sensor requirements they deem to make it worthwhile. Display's power drain per pixel isn't necessarily the biggest factor if you dont have a driving chip that can run on a phone's sleep state etc
    11-01-2016 08:26 AM