Redundant device?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I currently use a 1520 and a ThinkPad for my computing needs, but an thinking of adding a tablet to my stable for times where I may need to work after hours and don't have my laptop or for trekking notes on meetings. Is the Stream 7 so small that it behind redundant to my 1520?

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hard to say for me. I use an Android phone and tablet, so the Stream 7 is not redundant to me with a Yoga 13" laptop. I have a case and small BT keyboard, so it can sub for a laptop in a pinch. YMMV.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it almost is. I looked at it and the difference in size between my 1520 and the 7" screen was not enough to get me to buy it. So I bought the Stream 8 instead :)

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So I bought the Stream 8 instead :)

Ha! That's what I ended up doing, too. I've got a Thinkpad (Windows 7) and a Lumia 521. I thought of getting the Stream 7, but opted for the Stream 8 because of the cellular chip and free 200/mb of data per month. I don't have a data plan on the phone since I'm around wi-fi 95% of the time, so that free cellular data will come in handy when I'm travelling or waiting someplace without wifi.

I'm not sure what kind of work you'd plan to do on it, but I will say that using the on-screen keyboard with any of the desktop applications isn't the best experience. The keyboard takes up half of the screen, which makes Office apps like Word and Excel really crunched for space, especially if you need to use the ribbon. (I guess this is true for the "Modern" apps, too, but it is more noticeable in the desktop.)

I have a Bluetooth keyboard shipping to me now, which I hope will make it a more usable experience for me to do some light work on.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
85% of the use would be in the Modern UI, even OneNote. There are two desktop applications that I'd need to run: ConnectWise and LabTech, for work when I'm on call and don't want to bring my laptop with me. Having them on a tablet may be easier than using remote desktop on my phone to log into our terminal server.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
if you get a small input device for it, it becomes a small laptop (essentially a netbook). The screen is small for desktop usage with the onscreen keyboard, but no worse than your phone would be for stuff like RDP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon