10-16-2014 08:21 AM
32 12
tools
    Hello,

I installed the developer preview version of WP 8.1 some time ago on my HTC 8S, but after a few weeks I got into real trouble, with first apps not starting and later the phone itself not starting any more. HTC repair service (in Germany) kindly reset the phone to WP 8, but with all the storage problems, and WP 8.1 presumably coming at some point, I now went back to the dev. preview.

Enough back story, now the question: I am currently on OS version 8.10.12382.878, which is WP 8.1. Nevertheless, there is another update waiting to be installed and I don't know what that is supposed to be. So far, my phone works fine, and I'm a bit afraid that it will stop working again with that other update. So, can someone who is also on the preview tell me which version they have and what kind of update that is?
    08-25-2014 02:56 AM
    With the Dev Preview you can install the latest version of WP8.1.0, which is .899.

I have a friend with an 8X and he says his phone never moved better after the update.
    08-25-2014 03:06 AM
    OK, thank you for the heads up!
    08-25-2014 03:28 AM
    Anyone with the 8S who could comment on this?
    08-28-2014 02:27 AM
    Anyone with the 8S who could comment on this?
    I have a HTC 8S and I installed the .899 update.
    I think it's only a minor update as I have not noticed anything different afterwards or any problems.
    08-28-2014 04:12 AM
    Great! I'm a bit confused about the WP 8 update history, I guess. I got the impression that the different version numbers, like .878 and .899 are for different devices, not that I could go from one to the other. Plus, the update is pretty big, but if you say it's fine, I'll go ahead and install it this weekend.
    08-28-2014 04:16 AM
    I also have a question about DP
    I am an normal phone user (Sms phone whatsapp)
    Should i upgrade to win phone 8.1?
    Is battery life good on DP?
    Thank in advance
    09-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Battery life is difficult to judge.
    I find it worse on my HTC 8S, however 8.1 makes the phone a lot more useable as more apps can be installed.
    My personal view is that 8S users should install 8.1 as the benefits out weigh the negatives.
    09-08-2014 04:42 AM
    My personal view is that 8S users should install 8.1 as the benefits out weigh the negatives.
    Absolutely.
    09-08-2014 04:49 AM
    Battery life is difficult to judge.
    I find it worse on my HTC 8S, however 8.1 makes the phone a lot more useable as more apps can be installed.
    I could also add that the phone useability goes up a lot because its memory is almost entirely empty now, as I have all the apps on SD card. A lot of them.
    09-15-2014 06:32 AM
    Just to weigh in after I've had the DP 8.1 on my 8S for almost a month now...
    Space is not an issue any more, which is great. On the other hand, for some reason I get notifications for new email, but I cannot open my inboxes. When I tap an email live tile, most of the time I get right back to start screen, as with any app that won't open.
    I still have to find out if this is due to the OS or the phone itself, but in any case, I'm going to switch to Lumia as soon as I've decided on a model that can replace the 8S with regards to size.
    09-22-2014 08:42 AM
    Just to weigh in after I've had the DP 8.1 on my 8S for almost a month now...
    Space is not an issue any more, which is great. On the other hand, for some reason I get notifications for new email, but I cannot open my inboxes. When I tap an email live tile, most of the time I get right back to start screen, as with any app that won't open.
    I still have to find out if this is due to the OS or the phone itself, but in any case, I'm going to switch to Lumia as soon as I've decided on a model that can replace the 8S with regards to size.
    Not a issue for me I use a lot of email accounts with my HTC all of them are fine no problems so far I think you problem could be fixed with a factory reset if you want you can try it fixes most of problems
    My only problem is battery
    Maybe I'm just paranoid with having percentage in status bar and looking at it all the time
    09-22-2014 09:43 AM
    Not a issue for me I use a lot of email accounts with my HTC all of them are fine no problems so far I think you problem could be fixed with a factory reset if you want you can try it fixes most of problems
    My only problem is battery
    Maybe I'm just paranoid with having percentage in status bar and looking at it all the time
    Nope, I did a factory reset last Wednesday, didn't help at all. At the official DP forum over at Microsoft, I was told to try a complete reset and then starting with a completely new Microsoft account to check if it's a software or hardware issue. I haven't had time for that yet, but if I'm alone with the problem I'd guess it's something with the hardware.
    Didn't have it at the beginning, though, only started 1.5 weeks ago!
    09-22-2014 09:49 AM
    Nope, I did a factory reset last Wednesday, didn't help at all. At the official DP forum over at Microsoft, I was told to try a complete reset and then starting with a completely new Microsoft account to check if it's a software or hardware issue. I haven't had time for that yet, but if I'm alone with the problem I'd guess it's something with the hardware.
    Didn't have it at the beginning, though, only started 1.5 weeks ago!
    If you have high speed connection I suggest you flash RUU and do the upgrades again if its software related (it surely is) it would be gone
    saras112 likes this.
    09-22-2014 09:56 AM
    I admit that I have no clue what RUU means, but I think the problem just went away.
    I installed Opera mini beta around the time the problems started and just removed it half an hour ago. Since then, just for testing, I was able to access my email every time I tried (3x so far). That was not possible before. I don't see why Opera should have caused this, but right now I'm guessing it did.
    09-22-2014 10:15 AM
    I admit that I have no clue what RUU means, but I think the problem just went away.
    I installed Opera mini beta around the time the problems started and just removed it half an hour ago. Since then, just for testing, I was able to access my email every time I tried (3x so far). That was not possible before. I don't see why Opera should have caused this, but right now I'm guessing it did.
    Glad you found the way
    RUU stands for ROM update utility
    It will flash your phone back to 8.0 GDR1 in case you have some software problems I managed to flash one of these after a lots of trying (needed active sync as driver) so I was happy with 8.0 for a while but I'm back on PFD once again and I don't regret it
    09-22-2014 12:21 PM
    Glad you found the way
    Yeah, I take that back. It was relief for about half a day, but now I' having the same problems again.

I didn't know I could get back to WP 8.0 on my own, thanks for the hint! I would hate to do that, as it didn't work so well, either, but I'll keep it in mind. Maybe I'll just buy a Lumia and be done with all the HTC troubles...
    09-23-2014 02:49 AM
    Maybe I'll just buy a Lumia and be done with all the HTC troubles...
    Do this.
    09-24-2014 08:09 AM
    Do this.
    Did it this morning. It's "only" the Lumia 820, but I'm quite sure it will be better...
    09-24-2014 08:13 AM
    There is an update available
    At last we are not forgotten
    Downloading now
    Please send your first impressions with the new update here
    Mine is still downloading^▽^
    09-24-2014 02:14 PM
    Im on the 8.10.12...899 and my 8S never run so well, battery lasts more than before! But the 8.10.14... doesnt show up
    09-24-2014 05:39 PM
    Im on the 8.10.12...899 and my 8S never run so well, battery lasts more than before! But the 8.10.14... doesnt show up
    On another forum people say we updated our 8s to GDR1
    I'm still downloading but my brother is sucking my speed like a mosquito
    It fails regularly
    09-25-2014 02:13 AM
    On another forum people say we updated our 8s to GDR1
    I'm still downloading but my brother is sucking my speed like a mosquito
    It fails regularly
    All I get is an error... 800700d. Did you also get that?
    09-25-2014 02:33 AM
    All I get is an error... 800700d. Did you also get that?
    No!
    I m just downloading
    09-25-2014 05:53 AM
    No!
    I m just downloading
    OK, the error came after downloading... Let me know how it works for you! Apparently some people have managed, maybe it's only me who's stuck.
    09-25-2014 06:33 AM
32 12