Photos and Music comparison with Lumia 920

arzvi

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Am with Verizon which is best provider in terms of coverage here in Dallas, so leaning towards Windows phone 8x. But my friends that have 920 flaunt their image stebilization and the free Nokia music for life subscription and low light pictures.
Is 920 worth it or should I go with HTC 8x??? If you are an owner of HTC I'd love to hear from you. :)

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Im an 8x owner. And i couldnt be happier. I also work technical support for ATT and have access to the 920 as a test device.

The 920 has an awesome camera. No denying that. Low light is amazing - while natural light is meh (though that can be fixed with sw update).

The problem with the 920 is the shape. Its very large feeling to me. And i had an s3 previously. The weight isnt awful..but its very much noticeable.

The 920 has Nokia Music...but that doesnt sync between Windows 8 machines or my Surface. Xbox Music does... so thats the music service i concern myself with.

The 8x is the nicest feeling phone i have ever held. And i mess with phones all day every day for a living. So thats saying something :)

I have had no issues with rebooting or any other glitches that have been reported by some. My experience (other than the buying the device from VZW) has been amazing thus far.

Get it.

arzvi

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Does 8x sync seamlessly with Windows 7 device? I am going to upgrade to win 8, sync problems??
2. How do you compare it's photo with 920;s?
3. Does it have any augmented-reality apps like Nokia's??

Thanks for the reply. I am about to be sold on 8x..

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
1. Does 8x sync seamlessly with Windows 7 device? I am going to upgrade to win 8, sync problems??

1.- You can sync (or transfer, as both are not the same) your WP8 on Windows 7-8 using the Windows Phone Desktop App (in Beta staget ATM). If you use Windows 8 Store Apps, you can download a touch-friendly Windows Phone app. Mind you, they are in Beta with features coming down the road to match those of Zune.

2.- I have an 8X and in good lightning the photos look great. I haven't tried or tested shooting in poor lit places yet but for everyday photos, they are very good. Still, the 920 has the better camera overall with a fix surely coming to fix some issues with photos that are taken in well lit places.

3.- If you are talking about City Lens, there is nothing equivalent from HTC. I don't know if they will release something like that. They surely will add some camera lenses apps and perhaps some others, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

If you are still deciding, the 8X is truly a great phone. If you value phone photos more than the average person, go with the 920 as it has better camera. Other than that (maybe Nokia apps too), it's a matter of preference between the size/weight and form factor. For me, the 8X has been nothing short of awesome from the display quality to the feel on your hands with the build quality and narrower form factor.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The 920 does not have a better camera, If they added a bigger sensor then yes but they didn't.

People fall for all that marketing talk such as "pureview" & "carl zeiss" far to easily.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My first post on this site! I don't have my 8x yet (Nov 26 I'm heading to Verizon store), but from the outside looking in, the Lumia 920 has SERIOUS production issues resulting in generally poor construction. Take a look at the Lumia 920 forum at the bugs thread, your stomach will turn and you'll know exactly why the only thing people talk about is the camera and SST screen, everything else about the phone is shoddy. Dust under the screen and in the FF camera, flexing screens, crackling speakers, battery heating up, meh daytime pics, capacitive buttons not lighting up, rattling camera, bricked phones, battery reporting issues, etc. At this point I'm proud to say that I won't even glance in the Lumia's direction. Windows Phone 8x by HTC, here I come!
FYI, I first owned a generation 1 Moto Droid (awesome, but Android fragmentation seriously took the wind from my Android fan sails), then I moved to iPhone 4 which I am upgrading from next week (I have loved this phone, iOS non-fragmentation was a sanity booster), and now I'm going to get the HTC 8x (I love Windows 8, I work in IT and have always loved Microsoft's products, when they hit the right maturity level).

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
For Nokia's benefit it should be said that they probably have sold more phones than the 8x so simply by the numbers it isn't surprising to see more complaints over there. I always find it hard to judge how representative problems in forums are since forums seem to attract so much extra negative hyperbole and comparably few posts on good things.

The only seemingly certain things are that there still are some teething problems with the OS and the battery life varies. I don't have any problems but there are enough people complaining.

Is the form factor important to you, do you need a lot of HD space and are the Nokia apps very important to you should be your main question. To me the form factor won over the apps since the augmented reality is nice to have but not really that necessary to me. I work in the hospital and the phone has to fit my pocket without a huge buldge and the 8x wins that round.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

You're not missing out on much with the augmented reality app. It's cool, but it's just a gimmick, it doesn't really do anything you can't accomplish with Local Search or a map.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon