Twice I tred to leave WP and twice I came back.

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First lets start with my history. I say my first smartphone was an SPV C500 and I moved through to the SPV C600, MDA compact III, HTC HD2, Samsung Omnia 7, HTC 8X and finally Lumia 650 (which is some ways is a step back from my old HTC 8X). So its fair to say I've been with a Windows based platform for a long time.

I work for a company who offer tv, broadband, phone and mobile services and I get some decent perks, one of which is half price mobile phone, but their choice of phone has historically been limited and the past couple of years offered no Windows Phone devices.

In the past few years I wanted to upgrade my phone but as they no longer offer Windows phones I was "forced" to go android. For 2 years I got an Android flagship phone and ended up sending it back.

I found the Android layout unintuitive.. Rows of ugly icons with no continuity of style or functionality. I tried a few widgets in an attempt to recreate some sort of home page, but it just looked terrible. Either the widget was an afterthought and had no useful purpose or it seems to be completing for your attention like an obnoxious web advert.

I then found the lack of continuity annoying. This may be just a different ways in which Windows and Android works but this doesn't help the annoyance any less. For example is when viewing text messages. On Android, when I press the back button at the bottom of the phone, some times it takes me back to my text messages screen and sometimes it takes me back to the phone's home screen. Sometimes I find myself when wanting to view a text message, opening up the messaging app, noticing Im viewing a previous message, I press back, go back to the home screen, open messages which then opens to the main messaging screen.

I found this in several applications.

The there is the minefield of apps. I downloaded an app which would speak the time every 5 mins. The app was a gps testing app as I was questioning the accuracy. The app wasn't open at the time nor was it listed in the running apps, nor was there is no mention that it would do this nor was there any options to turn it off.
Another example of minefield apps, I local pizza place has their own app to order food, to avoid having to pay Just Eat their large cut. However installing the app it asks for permission to my, Bluetooth, contacts, location, photos, device information, microphone to name just a few things. Why does a small app to order pizza want access to my photos, microphone, contacts and Bluetooth?

In the end I thought, is this phone worth the £500 it currently sells for, and is it worth the £700 its going to cost me over the span of the contract? And the answer is not even close.

As a phone or communication device, be it phone calls, text, emails etc, I found the device terrible. Its lack of continuity between throughout its functions is way behind Windows Phone and iPhone.

Its always known the downfall of Windows Phone is the App Gap. As I understood it, several years ago Microsoft could have gone down the route of super compatible with android apps or its own UWP. UWP is a good idea in principal there are very few apps that will work well or are even required to work on a console, tablet, phone and PC.

After 10 days, I called my mobile provider saying I wanted to return the phone and I've gone back to my Lumia 650, which is under powered, poor camera and has some missing features. I will miss a couple of apps from android and miss the potential of using some I didn't try.

However these apps were not a good enough reason to put up with muddled, confused and patchwork of user interface and experience.

Im sticking with WP while I can. I hope that MS swallow their pride and open the possibility to use Android apps on their OS as I see this is the only way the Windows Phone platform can survive.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, I have to use an Android phone for work and I hate it, yes it has almost unlimited app access but in truth, apart from one "In house" work app, the only ones I have installed on it are the same ones I have on my 950XL......

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I picked up an Android device, Huawei Mate 9 because of an app needed for my job, I chose the Huawei because of battery life, as we know the 950 and the 950XL have not been stellar performers in battery life....

Anyway, I do like the device, solid and sleek design, it has weight, and good looks. Reminds me of my HTC One M8. It has a fingerprint scanner on the back right below the camera, I thoroughly love that feature, must have for any future Windows whatever it may be device.

The longer I used the phone though it got buggy, there is A LOT going on in an Android device, it may have been particular to the software on Huawei though, I am not well versed in Android to say for sure. I was CONTIUALLY getting system notifications! I would rather the OS just do it's thing without bugging me. I expect updates to be needed, I don't want to hear about every single one though.

It was beginning to lag, like really lag, so I parked it and pulled out my 950's.....

Missed my W10M though, using two phones again........

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, I have to use an Android phone for work and I hate it, yes it has almost unlimited app access but in truth, apart from one "In house" work app, the only ones I have installed on it are the same ones I have on my 950XL......

I believe I'd be in the same boat. If I got an Android phone I would probably be like a kid in a candy shop and d/l every app I could think of. However, after the dust had settled I'd learn I would only be using the same apps and I'm using on my WP. I guess if I was 13 and wanted every app my friends had it be a different story. But I'm not, so, I guess I'll continue on with WP until I can't anymore.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm interesting thread here. Sometimes giving something else a try for a while can affirm that you do really like what you originally had. It sounds like this is what happened to you. I can agree about the lack of uniformity in Android to a point though.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I've been thinking about what my next phone would be since my upgrade due is one year from now (I probably wouldn't be able to afford next year's flagships) and I came to a conclusion that I'll just stick with my 950 until it dies or core functions would stop working. Yesterday I almost had a heart attack because while I was in the phone call, for some reason the other side couldn't hear me - I was on the insider fast ring back then - so I re-flashed the device and hoped it would work and it is working normally now - looks like it's just a bug on the insider build.

I thought a lot what would I really need from a phone that my 950 is not capable of providing and the only thing that came across was battery life. Other than that it does everything I need it to do (well apps could obviously use some love). The only app that is missing on my phone is mobile banking for my bank but other than that apps cover the most of my needs.

I also thought a lot about what would I even do with a modern flagship with gimmicky features - say HTC U11 (even though I think the U11 is the best option right now out there) or iPhone X or the Galaxy S8. I don't need edge to edge screen as I don't trust myself that I am capable of not dropping the phone. My 950 fell a few times from circa 4 ft/120cm and it only left some scratches on the cover but never on the screen itself.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Iam not well versed in Android to say for sure. I was CONTIUALLY getting system notifications! I would rather the OS just do it's thing without bugging me. I expect updates to be needed, I don't want to hear about every single one though..
Nah it is normal. I've been on Android since Gingerbread and it hasn't changed.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I was CONTIUALLY getting system notifications! I would rather the OS just do it's thing without bugging me. I expect updates to be needed, I don't want to hear about every single one though.

For me unwanted notifications on Android haven't been an issue as pretty much all are customizable, if one takes the time to do so... And that there is the downside if you look at that way, it does take some time to go through everything.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
So far my Galaxy Note 4 hasn't slowed down or given me a crazy amount of notifications, but, just like my WP, I turn notifications off as soon as I download a new app. Also with some tweaking, my Note feels very much like my WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster