State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Suddenly Horrible Battery Life

I honestly found that my 620 also has inconsistent battery life. At times, it will reach 90% in an hour and at times, 70% in an hour (It happens only occasionally).
More like a software issue to me but it does not bothering me too much.

dougger1977

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Nope, I'm sitting at my desk. I'm going through my same M-F routine and for some reason, the battery is draining hard today. Just doesn't make any sense.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

This morning, I pulled the phone off the charger and after 3 hours I'm down to 80%. Usually, at this point in the day, I'm at 90-95%. If anything, I've used it less today than normal. The only app that's been updated in the past week is ProShot and that was yesterday. Coincidence? I've restarted the phone twice today and it's still burning hard and fast. Thoughts?

Which phone do you have?

Riddlin123

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine works great. Battery life is 100 times better then any Android phone. Mine with normal use emails, hour of music, some calling and texting etc etc will go atleast 24 hours.

dougger1977

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Battery Is Acting Up Today

I usually average about 2-3% discharge per hour but today for some reason, it's going out at 8-9%/hr. The only thing that has changed on the phone is a ProShot update yesterday. I've restarted multiple times today to no avail. Anybody else got any ideas? It's really starting to frustrate me.
wp_ss_20130401_0001.jpg

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Is Acting Up Today

Are you just restarting or doing a soft reset? If you haven't tried a soft reset that almost always fixes my issues with high battery drain. You can do a soft reset by holding the volume down and power keys simultaneously for 10 seconds or so.

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
going from exchange active sync 2003 to 2010 has doubled my battery life.
This past weekend my phone sat idle for 22 hours, and was still over 80% left.

David Best

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC 8x battery life is horrible

What magic is this......
Look, here's my battery lasting:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=85D6987EBA9DCD63!1119&authkey=!AJP-UmW_sa-_6kA

I do admit that I had few calls but I used the wifi a lot(no 3G cause I'm roaming), news, fb, downloading game from store and playing it, messaging. I listen to music (downloading from subscription cause it has better quality but before I download I listen the song on streaming)
I have Skype on, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Metrotube, Vimeo, 4 e-mail accounts.
I also disabled the auto upload of Skydrive.
And I don't use stop music app.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Reception quality.
Don't forget that when you travel and the phone is in your pocket, switching to Edge or GSM only will reduce the power consumption of your radio when it powers up to compensate for a bad signal. So when outside of an area with good 3G or LTE connectivity, you can save a lot of power by switching your connectivity manually.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

^
How long have you been using your 8x now?
These are really great stats - I don't think I'll ever get to 2 days with mine - even with light usage.
In those two days, how many hours approx have you been doin sth with your 8x? Just asking so I could calculate what your battery drain per hour was in stand-by mode.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What's Active sync?

Btw., coolknight, following your fresh info on that trick when charging phone -> turning it off when full to charge more until its "fully charged" -> repeating that...well, it seems that my battery life really has improved i.e. battery meter is much better at showing battery draining at a slower/more natural rate, rather than previous 10%+ dips out of nowhere. I guess it still has a lot to do with wp and its every 30mins refreshing os policy which makes those battery left forecasts seem really ridiculous. Anyway, I wonder if I'll ever, when i turn off my phone when fully charged, get to see it turned back on but still with green light aka fully charged? I do that quite often when I'm charging my phone (when I'm not in a hurry) and repeat that process at least 3-4-5 times.

Still, I manage to get some good battery life days with my 8x, others not so good. Great seems to be out of question. Though when I tested it for video playback the other day - it went from 100% to 15% in 7hrs 20mins which I thought wasn't bad. Oh, and I have my 8x for 25 days now and battery has improved since those awful first days/week.

battery8xsucks

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Is Acting Up Today

I use that battery widget too :)
Anyway, when saying that you normally lose 2-3% of battery per hour - is that in stand by mode? With 3g+data turned on? You gotta be more specific than that.

Chill510

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Is it me or is battery life on the Nokia Lumia range horrific compared to any other WP8 phone?

I'm charging twice a day when i used to charge my iPhone 4s once a day with the same usage profile. Personally i think this is an OS and firmware issue around background tasks including radio/wifi/account sync/data management and particularly around 3rd party apps.

MS and the device OEMs need to sort this - battery life is the highest priority with mobile devices. Anyone else remember the old skool Nokias that would go days even with heavy use?
I think the battery life is somewhat relative how everyone uses it. I personally use my wireless charger at work on my desk so I don't notice the battery drain that much but for the most part I'm satisfied with my battery life compared to other smartphones. My Lumia 920 is great...but my Lumia 810 is horrible. I don't know what the difference battery is but its definitely noticeable.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys, I too have recently had awful battery life. I always have location on, 7 background tasks, Skype uninstalled, moderate usage, NFC off, Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data alternate depending on where I am, automatic backup and install updates both off, battery saver off, and one email account syncing as items arrive. With all of these settings, I still get 12.5%/hr!! Please help

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys, I too have recently had awful battery life. I always have location on, 7 background tasks, Skype uninstalled, moderate usage, NFC off, Bluetooth off, Wifi and mobile data alternate depending on where I am, automatic backup and install updates both off, battery saver off, and one email account syncing as items arrive. With all of these settings, I still get 12.5%/hr!! Please help

I don't know of your experience with the phone or what you have installed. But in the case of Skype you could safely use it. Skype is not doing data transfer in the background to eat your battery. Everything regarding Skype uses push notifications. So it never runs on your background. You may think that because you can get called it runs in the background but this is not true. When you receive a call on Skype you only receive a special case of push notifications that wakes up the app like in the case you use a toast notifications but you also touch the toast.

So Skype it's not a battery problem.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you the apps that might be contributing:

Pandora
Disqus*
CNN*
HTC*
Photoplay
Das Image*
Internet Explorer
Lock Buster*

*running in background

dougger1977

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, after spending the better part of evening on the issue, I finally tracked down what was causing my suddenly poor battery performance. Yahoo Mail was constantly trying to synch. The only way I could get it to stop synching was turn cell and wifi off and delete the account. I tried to re-link the yahoo mail account and it still wouldn't synch. I finally just decided to switch from yahoo mail to Outlook temporarily. I'm going to check back in a week or so and see if the problem persists.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes