Sick of my HTC 8x

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That isn't really true. Searching for the specs would have told you about the limited storage, but it wouldn't have instantly highlighted the 'other' storage issue that is perhaps the biggest blight on Windows phone and the most complained about failing bar the lack of Instagram.

I have an 8X and its a superb handset. HTC got it perfectly right in terms of the physical device, its a joy to use, bar the mysterious lack of an sd card slot. It is so stable, an area in which it destroys the Lumia range.

But the other storage issue needs to be fixed urgently. I have 8.4gb in 'other' storage at the moment and cant download anything else.

did you try shrink storage? I know for my 8GB 8X I have 1.4 GB of others. And also, what I noticed is u should keep deleting Bing search, even if u already deleted the history, keep deleting, it keeps storing some random ****. And I.e. Clearing too helps

bSmooth0015

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had the HTC 8x for about 5 hours...I'm so sick of it. It's an awesome phone, but no group messaging, no snapchat? Come on! I guess if you're not in your twenties or thirties, and/or cool you would like this phone. But seriously, this phone is great, all the features are really cool, way cooler than iPhone, but I like iPhone for the presence of SnapChat and group Messaging. C'mon Verizon! I was actually going to keep it even though SnapChat wasn't there, but seriously NO GROUP MESSAGING??!!! Dumb dumb dumb. DUMB

Bluetech1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
With nothing to report for the HTC variant it only makes sense for nokiaphonecentral.com (aka - windowsphonecentral) to focus their reporting on a phone that is actually being supported week in and week out. For example, if the name of the site were htcphonecentral.com then the last post they would have updated would have been when the 8x came out 3 months ago.

Bluetech1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Love my 8x, although nokiaphonecentral can get annoying when I logon and see Nokia..this, Nokia that...

With nothing to report for the HTC variant it only makes sense for nokiaphonecentral.com (aka - windowsphonecentral) to focus their reporting on a phone that is actually being supported week in and week out. For example, if the name of the site were htcphonecentral.com then the last post they would have updated would have been when the 8x came out 3 months ago.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I can't speak for other carriers, but on Verizon the 8X got portico before the 822. There's more in the world of WP than the latest updates to Nokia app updates. By the way I don't consider the site to be Nokia central.

devanm44

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I think this is somewhat judgmental. You can stand in the store, google, youtube and research all you want. Until you have the device you don't know the real deal.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've discovered that what works best for me is to apply any potential smartphone purchase against the requirements in my signature. If it doesn't meet every single one of those, I won't buy it. I'm done with compromising. Maybe you'll find it useful.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The specs and capabilities you're complaining about could have been found out before hand with a simple Bing search.

True. We live in a media age. There is no excuse for ignorance at this level. My advice for anyone looking at purchasing a mid to high end smartphone is to know the basics of technology and know how to research that before committing.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I think this is somewhat judgmental. You can stand in the store, google, youtube and research all you want. Until you have the device you don't know the real deal.

Your right in terms of actual build quality and performance...but the complaints here are only of facts that do not change upon purchasing the phone.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The grass isn't any greener on Nokia side. Seriously if you allow yourself to get suckered by the hype of the very populated pro-Lumia crowd here at WPC than you're going to be misled. There's not really much at all that a Nokia is going to offer you besides first crack at a couple of so-so apps now. The build quality is not better (once again, despite what you'll here regurgitated here). Do yourself a favour and listen to what the very well known tech gurus are saying. I'm going to let you in on a little secret to get you started: Nokia closed down the plants in Finland that earned them their rep for build quality years ago. Now they farm out most of their hardware manufacturing to foreign mass-production plants that also make phones for other companies. Betcha didn't know that. HTC are one of the few companies left who mostly own their own plants. There are NO indicators that Nokia devices are of any better quality than the 8x. HTC has also publicly stated that they will continue to make WP8 devices. And lastly (and this will be slightly offensive), the 8x is a sleek well made phone, not a big fat oversized device that doesn't even have the battery size that brick sized phones like the 920 should have.

I see absolutely nothing enviable about the 920. In fact if I admired any Nokia it would be the 720 for packing so many things into a $350 phone.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The grass isn't any greener on Nokia side. Seriously if you allow yourself to get suckered by the hype of the very populated pro-Lumia crowd here at WPC than you're going to be misled. There's not really much at all that a Nokia is going to offer you besides first crack at a couple of so-so apps now. The build quality is not better (once again, despite what you'll here regurgitated here). Do yourself a favour and listen to what the very well known tech gurus are saying. I'm going to let you in on a little secret to get you started: Nokia closed down the plants in Finland that earned them their rep for build quality years ago. Now they farm out most of their hardware manufacturing to foreign mass-production plants that also make phones for other companies. Betcha didn't know that. HTC are one of the few companies left who mostly own their own plants. There are NO indicators that Nokia devices are of any better quality than the 8x. HTC has also publicly stated that they will continue to make WP8 devices. And lastly (and this will be slightly offensive), the 8x is a sleek well made phone, not a big fat oversized device that doesn't even have the battery size that brick sized phones like the 920 should have.

I see absolutely nothing enviable about the 920. In fact if I admired any Nokia it would be the 720 for packing so many things into a $350 phone.

Blah Blah Blah

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
hmm If i read the original post right, i don't think she had a choice on phone, when you replace your phone more than once they usually just give you a different phone and your options are very limited.. when I had to replace my mytouch for the second time, they gave me the option between a Sidekick (yeah I know apparently they still make those) and a Mytouch4g slide.. :/

The choice the OP was likely given was another Lumia or the 8X and OP chose the 8X. In my opinion, it's best to not switch out your phone for software issues and swap out when it's hardware issues. Report those issues ASAP to the manufacturer and carrier and wait a bit. Otherwise you end up in this exact situation...wanting to go back to the original phone you gave up. It must not have been that bad...

I would see if you can get another Lumia.

To call back and ask for the phone that they just forfeited is a little backwards if you ask me. Why switch in the first place? Why go back to it now? The carrier will only be so nice...I don't see this as good advice. Don't wear out your welcome. The HTC is a great phone. I'm super happy with it. My iPhone had 16GB mem as well and I managed it. The "Other" thing will be fixed in time...until then, I deal with it. So I can't install a racing game...I'm over that already.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree that Nokia build quality isn't any better than HTC. A quick read through the 920 forums will confirm that that phone has just as many if not more issues than the 8X. Nokia is the sexy WP name and the 920 has some good features, but as far as I'm concerned the 8X is just as reliable a phone if not moreso. On AT&T the 16GB 8X really can't compete with the 920 since it's half the price and it's the same scenario on Verizon with the 822 currently being free and the 8X is $100. With the pricing differences it's not surprising the Lumias are selling better. It's not the cool features of the phones it's the pricing.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Lol the coating on 8x rubs off the phones....that alone screams shotty quality.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Lol the coating on 8x rubs off the phones....that alone screams shotty quality.

I can't say I've experienced that! And there is nothing "shotty" about the quality of the 8x. It looks and feels like a premium device, idk what you're going off of to think anything other than that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon