The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
  1. jak464's Avatar
    I have been trying to connect to wireless as much as possible, but was not connected from a network through the night. I have been tracking my data usage closely, and in looking at Data Sense, I used 700 MB from Hotmail in literally 5 hours.

    Can anyone advise on this issue? I will obviously try to use WiFi as much as I can, but I'm worried this will happen again and I'm not sure where the issue came from.
    04-08-2013 08:33 AM
  2. Microsoftjunkie's Avatar
    Power save tips:

    1. Manually sync your email
    2. Always use power saver when not on WiFi (disables background processes etc.)
    3. Disable apps background processes that you are not using.
    jak464 likes this.
    04-08-2013 08:36 AM
  3. ajua's Avatar
    Did you have it configured to download only the last 1-2 weeks of email? If you set it to download everything perhaps it synched all your emails and that's why it used so much data. Keep monitoring it and if the usage is still high when synching only 1 or 2 weeks, try resetting your phone or get in touch with support.
    gsquared and jak464 like this.
    04-08-2013 09:01 AM
  4. gsquared's Avatar
    I agree with Ajua. Sounds like you are sync'ing everything to the phone. That would chew-up bandwidth like you are describing.
    04-08-2013 09:12 AM
  5. jak464's Avatar
    I've done all this throughout the month, but it just happened again. I'm not sure why. It seems to happen to occur when I plug my phone in for charging. Can you tell me what your setting for "Download email from" is? (last 7 days, last 2 weeks, last month, any time). Mine was on download from last 7 days, as suggested above. I can't figure why else this would be occurring. I greatly appreciate the help.

    **UPDATE. I think I figured this out. I don't even use Hotmail for email, but since it's required I had an account. I look to see what was happening and it turns out the email wasn't syncing. But for some reason it could not sync at all, even though I had the correct password and it was working fine for months. For some reason, if you have "Text message backup" set to "ON" it may cause this to be unable to sync. The second I set it to off, it was able to sync. Hopefully this is the root and fix to the massive amount of data that was used. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
    Last edited by jak464; 05-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    05-10-2013 04:29 PM

Similar Threads

  1. [App] QuickWp - Most used function in one application
    By rastislav.maskal in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
  2. [App] QuickWp - Most used function in one application
    By rastislav.maskal in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  3. using microsim in htc radar
    By 1iam5mith in forum HTC Radar
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM
  4. Using Maps in unsupported regions
    By MarcXW in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD