Hotmail used 700MB in one night

jak464

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to connect to wireless as much as possible, but was not connected from a network through the night. I have been tracking my data usage closely, and in looking at Data Sense, I used 700 MB from Hotmail in literally 5 hours.

Can anyone advise on this issue? I will obviously try to use WiFi as much as I can, but I'm worried this will happen again and I'm not sure where the issue came from.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Power save tips:

1. Manually sync your email
2. Always use power saver when not on WiFi (disables background processes etc.)
3. Disable apps background processes that you are not using.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you have it configured to download only the last 1-2 weeks of email? If you set it to download everything perhaps it synched all your emails and that's why it used so much data. Keep monitoring it and if the usage is still high when synching only 1 or 2 weeks, try resetting your phone or get in touch with support.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Ajua. Sounds like you are sync'ing everything to the phone. That would chew-up bandwidth like you are describing.

jak464

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I've done all this throughout the month, but it just happened again. I'm not sure why. It seems to happen to occur when I plug my phone in for charging. Can you tell me what your setting for "Download email from" is? (last 7 days, last 2 weeks, last month, any time). Mine was on download from last 7 days, as suggested above. I can't figure why else this would be occurring. I greatly appreciate the help.

**UPDATE. I think I figured this out. I don't even use Hotmail for email, but since it's required I had an account. I look to see what was happening and it turns out the email wasn't syncing. But for some reason it could not sync at all, even though I had the correct password and it was working fine for months. For some reason, if you have "Text message backup" set to "ON" it may cause this to be unable to sync. The second I set it to off, it was able to sync. Hopefully this is the root and fix to the massive amount of data that was used. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon