HTC 8X on Softbank in Japan help

Mark Frank

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently got an AT&T HTC 8X. I used a code online to unlock the phone and took the sim from my iphone 4S and put it in the HTC. It recognizes the sim and I have no problem making or recieving calls however I can't get the internet or any net based apps to work outside of a WiFi spot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what frequency bands Softbank uses? I'm not sure about frequency bands in Japan. Japanese carriers have used frequencies different from those in most other countries at one time.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
softbank is CDMA so you're going to be hardpressed to get it to work on anything other than their LTE network. Even then you'll have to make sure they operate on the right frequencies. im going to be honest with you, windows phones will not work well in Japan.

Mark Frank

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Softbank 3G is 900, 1500, 2100

•3G: Also known as UMTS or W-CDMA, the basic data network technology in use today. Can reach speeds from 384kbps to 2mbps. Supported by Softbank's Platinum Band
•HSPA: Softbank calls this "3G High Speed", allows data download up to 14Mbps. Most modern phones support this as well as 3G
•HSPA+: Also know as "Evolved HSPA", Softbank is introducing this on the Platinum Band and also on the existing 2100MHz frequency band. Allows download speeds up to 21Mbps. Not too many phones support this.
•DC-HSPA: Softbank calls this "Ultra Speed", and it stands for "Dual Cell HSPA". It doubles the speeds of HSPA, allowing downloads up to 42Mbps. Uses the 1500MHz frequency band on Softbank. Again, few phones support this.
•LTE: "Softbank 4G", up to 110Mbps download in the 2.5GHz spectrum.

Mark Frank

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
3G
Docomo: W-CDMA; 800, 2100 MHZ
AU: CDMA-2000; 800, 2100 MHz
Softbank: W-CDMA; 2100 MHz
E-Mobile: W-CDMA; 1700 Mhz
800 MHz is only used in Japan. 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz are the frequencies used by US T-Mobile, but AFAIK, one is used for uplink and one for downlink, so US T-Mobile phones are equipped with an antenna that is not compatible in japan for 3G. US AT&T uses 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.

LTE
Docomo: 1500, 2100 MHZ
AU: 800, 2100 MHz
Softbank: 1500 (DC-HSDPA), 2100 MHz
E-Mobile: 1700 Mhz
AU will rely on the CDMA-based network for voice, so AU handsets will only be compatible for data.

Last edited:

Mark Frank

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2010/07/general-information-for-smart-phone.html
http://redygo.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1.html

I used these settings for "settings > cellular . "edit internet apn" and it worked. I have read that many people will get a huge cell phone bill for using non-Softbank phones because the way the data is registered. I found the site linked above which tells you how to modify your account to avoid these charges.

●黒SIMのMMS以外のパケット遮断設定

名前:自由に設定

APN:smile.worldxx
プロキシ:未設定
ポート:未設定
ユーザー名:dna1trop
パスワード:so2t3k3m2a
サーバー:未設定
MMSC:http://mms/
MMSプロクシ:smilemms.softbank.ne.jp
MMSポート:8080
MCC:440
MNC:20
認証タイプ:未設定
APNタイプ:default,supl,mms
APNプロトコル:IPv4
ベアラー:指定なし

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the AT&T version does not have the right bands to support data. If you really want an 8X, go for the Euro version (Vodafone UK). Thant one has the 900 Mhz band as well as the 2100 Mhz that sound virtually identical to what Softbank uses (It also has the 1800 Mhz band, but your carrier doesn't use that one).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the AT&T version does not have the right bands to support data. If you really want an 8X, go for the Euro version (Vodafone UK). Thant one has the 900 Mhz band as well as the 2100 Mhz that sound virtually identical to what Softbank uses (It also has the 1800 Mhz band, but your carrier doesn't use that one).

AT&T 8X does support 2100Mhz band for data. OP probably need to configure the data APN.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
AT&T 8X does support 2100Mhz band for data. OP probably need to configure the data APN.

While it does have the 2100, it is used for 4G LTE. The 2100 band is used by Softbank and Vodafone use it in a AWS setting. I do not know if setting the APN would allow the band to go UTMS, I just point out a model that share similar uses that could be a solution.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
While it does have the 2100, it is used for 4G LTE. The 2100 band is used by Softbank and Vodafone use it in a AWS setting. I do not know if setting the APN would allow the band to go UTMS, I just point out a model that share similar uses that could be a solution.

AT&T HTC 8X uses 2100 for HSPA/W-CMDA, not LTE. AT&T uses 700 and 1700 for LTE only. We are not talking about other HTC 8X here. Please check the spec.

Mark Frank

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
General Comments on the phone. So far I've been using the HTC 8X with no problem on Softbank network here in Japan. I think as some people mentioned the AT&T model uses different frequencies which would explain why my iphone I had before got better reception.
I never wanted the iphone, I just got it cause my friend sold me his cheaply and the Windows 8 phone isn't available in Japan.

So far I love the phone. Some of the apps like "Line" run smoother on iphone as they update the app almost monthly but other than that I haven't been too upset about the "lack of apps" everyone talks about. Windows phone has everything I need. I found having your entire facebook list of friends in your contacts takes a bit of getting used to, but the groups make it easy enough to work with. I chose the HTC 8X over the Nokia because it was cheaper, and I like the design of the phone. But, like everyone said, the Camera on the HTC sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas