Buying HTC 8X

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Abhi_k4, thanks for understanding and killing my hope regarding notification light :smile:

Svetoslav Enkov, interesting post, C620e version rings a bell? I know that 8x is very cheap now and that's why is veeery tempting, besides other things.

If I may continue a little bit with questions:
I own a Nokia e71 with Symbian OS, a system that is practically dead, but can still be useful for me. I am a little bit worried because WP does not have a file manager and has some problems with mail attachment, *.rar if I remember correctly. These things can be overcome? I want a step forward from Symbian after all.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there possible to continue Abhi_k4's thread with some questions?

I'm also in doubt about buying this phone, here's my versus lists:sweaty:

pro's:
- price
- 720 screen
- great audio setup
- native MS Office support
- decent camera
- cool looks

con's
- only 16GB with no sdcard
- less apps than on Lumias
- lock buttuon on top
- not sure the Win Phone is not too restricted for me

If you are so kind can you help me clear some issues?
1. With beats ON or OFF while playing a song with volume on minimum (0), there are some noises?
2. This phone has after all a light notification for calls/SMS's?
3. How hard is to operate the phone with one hand and especially to unlock it and us it?
4. Nokia apps I've heard it will me available for 8x only forsome markets. Can I set a specific region on the phone in order to get the app?
5. Can you tell me what specific model of the phone has 4G?

Thanks for you help!:smile:

To answer your questions:

1. No.
2. No. HTC has always had the LED light for low battery, better charging, and battery charged. MSFT hasn't opened up the API for that...it has been that way since WP7. It would be nice if that support existed as another way for HTC to distinguish themselves in the WP market.
3.Not hard at all. I use it in my left hand all the time, because I own a Lumia 810 and their button placement is great for left handers. Yes, the buttons are a little more flush than many would like, but they're still very functional and responsive.
4. No, but if you search the WPCentral forums there is a hack allowing Nokia and Other OEM apps to get installed on HTC phones.
5. See the above post.

Hope this helps...

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
MSFTisMIA, at least the sound is OK :amaze:. Can you shed light on also to the message before your answer?

Thanks for sharing!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Abhi_k4, thanks for understanding and killing my hope regarding notification light :smile:

Svetoslav Enkov, interesting post, C620e version rings a bell? I know that 8x is very cheap now and that's why is veeery tempting, besides other things.

If I may continue a little bit with questions:
I own a Nokia e71 with Symbian OS, a system that is practically dead, but can still be useful for me. I am a little bit worried because WP does not have a file manager and has some problems with mail attachment, *.rar if I remember correctly. These things can be overcome? I want a step forward from Symbian after all.

Not right now, as far as I'm aware of in terms of addressing those file attachment and file management issue. Best work around I'm aware of is to maybe up the files to your SkyDrive and share the links to others by email they can download it. Ask around in the forums to see what others say. Otherwise, you're coming from a very good old school phone (E-71 is one of my all time favorites) to the 8X - a very good phone.

hank1975

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
go with the 8x. I went thru 3 of those crappy lumia 820s in as many weeks. the wife still uses 820 but says she likes my 8x better because of size and weight. we see no difference in pic quality. as for memory issues you can store photos on the cloud. plus you can get otterbox very cheap on amazon. no otterbox for 820

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on what's available in OP's price point. OP, I'd be a bit more conservative with your storage calculations...but I still think you can manage just fine with the 8X.

I have an 8X with 8GB of memory and it's manageable. If I carried a lot of music around with me or took tons of photos, maybe not so much, but I don't store photos on my phone (just a few, the rest get synched to my PC), and I carry about 1 GB of music, and still have 2.5 GB free.

impe83

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I had this phone since February... what I can say:
- I already factory restored 3 times the phone (I take tons of photo and due to the "others" folder bug, memory was fully really quick)
- No cool apps and games like Lumias
- In the last month, back camera lags and occasional camera totally unusable (on holiday this can get really damn annoying)
- None of my friends, or friends of friends has this phone so when I have an issue I really feel clueless..

Conclusion... I like my phone (previous Iphone and Android user) but all this small problems.. uhm, I would probably try a Lumia next time! :p

Last edited:

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
impe83 the "other" folder has problem even after GDR2 update? When camera becomes unusable, in order to bring it to life what you must do?

Regarding the Lumia software, have you tried the method that lets you install Nokia soft on HTC beauties, mentioned above?

I have see in real life the blue version. Hmm, is too flashy, black looks more chic :)

impe83

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The "other" folder now seems to be fixed.

When the camera is unusable I just try to reset the phone, but it not always work...is a weird random bug I think..

black is better because it wont loose the color on the edge corner.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys I've finally decided on HTC 8X.. I'm thinking of buying it online but flipkart doesn't ship where I live but snapdeal.com does. Is snapdeal safe?? Also I'm getting it for Rs.23000, is this price good or I'll find better deals at local store?? I live in India by the way.. :p

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, Abhi_k4 , I cannot help you with your dilemma.
I have bought the phone with ~220Euro, less the a half of the initial price of the phone in my country at its initial launch, few days ago. The phone has taken 3 updates and it's in tests :)... My first WP8... In my case the clear sound (beats on/off doesn't matter) and the camera above average until now are its biggest advantages, besides design, of course :) There are some problems, but are mainly platform dependent, on hardware side the power button has a not so ergonomic position and is sometimes hard to convince to make its job.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with the flushed nature of the power, volume and camera buttons and the fact that most screen protectors don't cover the full glass front of the phone. Otherwise, it is a solid device and with a bit of extra support would have sold really well.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
By the way I increased my budget and going for Lumia 920, I'm just confused about music quality some say Dolby 920 is better than Beats 8x and some say vice versa.. I love music a lot and 80 percent time I'm listening to music on my phone.. Can't decide.... :confused:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
By the way I increased my budget and going for Lumia 920, I'm just confused about music quality some say Dolby 920 is better than Beats 8x and some say vice versa.. I love music a lot and 80 percent time I'm listening to music on my phone.. Can't decide.... :confused:

Not an audiophile but for me beats sound better in the 8X than in my 810. Actually the dobly in my old HTC Mozart sounded better than what's in my 810. Don't think there is much difference between sound in the 810 and 920. So the 8X has the edge on audio and weight over the 920, but the 920 wins out on camera, storage space. No Equalizer in the 8X though, but there is one on the 920.

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
8X has a superb sound, as a matter of fact I do not use beats at all and it works perfectly. The noise is practically inaudible.
But, as a owner of more than a week of HTC 8X, I might say: go with Lumia 920, almost the same sound, better camera, more space and let's not forger the better app environment.

For me 8x had the sound that I wanted and the decent camera at an tempting price. If you have extra cash to invest, then go for the competitor or perhaps 925 ;)

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I care for sound through headphones. Doesn't matter which sounds better with loudspeaker. But with the headphones I want the sound to be crisp, clear and loud and yeah clear bass with no distortion. Actually I don't use camera that much but the OIS is one thing I can't ignore plus 32GB storage too. 8X wins at looks and music I guess but 920 has OIS, 60 Hz screen, 32GB internal storage, HAAC rich recording, and Pro Cam app and all the lenses..
Can you please explain a bit as where in music quality does the 920 lose to 8X like music is clear or crisp in 8X or bass is better on 8X.
By the way I listen to Pop mostly and Rock and Metal and Trance and Country, my favourite Taylor Swift and Kesha and Secondhand Serenade and Linkin Park. Can anybody tell me also how is 920 through stock headphones compared to Galaxy S3?
Sorry for such a long post by the way and thank you all for replies... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes