HTC 8X and owner fell in the lake!

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
First boating day of the season and I hurt my pride and, I suspect, killed my phone. The water was cold too.

Was in my pocket and underwater for about 10 seconds. It was powered on, I shut it off within about 30 seconds. It had an otter box commuter case on it, with the rubber flaps that cover the ports and side buttons, took it out and towel dried it off. Put it in rice for about a day, when i tried it the red LED behind the speaker would just flash, no vibrate or any other feedback.

Placed it on a floor HEPA filter / fan, sim slot open and air from fan blowing in for another 1/2 day. I was excited that it powered up, HTC splash screen but where the screen would change to the Windows Phone Screen, it cuts out, brief vibrate from the motor and its stuck in a HTC reboot cycle. I can tell that during this cycle the battery isnt charging since its 100% dead when not plugged in.

Will it ever come back any further?

Its my work phone and the new standard is the Lumia 925... which i prefer the 8x to, especially since new devices are right around the corner I don't want a 'new' 925 and be stuck with it for years.

Dan

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
all I can say is let it charge then perform a hard reset on it :) and give it some days it will start working again....my phone was drenched in rain after a few boot loops it started but my flash and sensors weren't working....I was using it like that then one day suddenly it started working again...I hope your phone does too :)

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
A few years ago, my Nokia E5 had fallen into a bucket full of water. I removed the covers (front and back), sim card, memory card, keypad and everything removable and placed the phone in the sun for 2 days. Then I put all the parts together and it was working like before. I'm not sure whether this story of mine will help you get the 8X back but it is definitely worth a try. Make sure you dry it for 2-3 days.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
1 day in rice does very little if anything. The phone would need to be placed and left undisturbed in rice for a week to really make a difference. Sorry for your loss :/

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My friend's old Galaxy Y fell in the water once, it took him more than 10 seconds to realize that he dropped it. After a week of glitches, the phone suddenly started working again as if nothing happened, it's still working till now, but he bought a 625.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes